Author Topic: Opamp chip identification  (Read 2271 times)

Offline johnny911Topic starter

Opamp chip identification
« on: January 19, 2022, 01:52:34 am »
Hi, pals!
I'm in process of restoring piece of old junk. And I was failed to identify one of the operational amplifiers.
Does anyone have idea what kind of animal this is?

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
Re: Opamp chip identification
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 08:29:08 am »
The closest option that comes in my mind is LM318.
https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/1136708/NationalSemiconductor/LM318/1
If possible, Kindly check with a multimeter if your IC has GND in pin#4 and VCC in pin#7.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 09:03:28 am »
A LM318 is a candidate, though I have not see such a crude marking for such a part.
The soldering at the chip look rather poor - so maybe give it a try and resolder the pins.

What type of gear is this ? This can give a hint what properties for the OP are needed and thus limit the possible candidates.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:01:25 pm »
How important is it to recognize it? If you are repairing something here, do you have a schematic of the surrounding circuit?
LM318 pinout is the same as 99% if not 100% of DIP8 single channel opamps. Differences may exist on pins 1,5,8 → see point above.

Do you recognize the logo on this IC, does it appear on other chips in the same device? The "318" in LM318 would typically be preceded by letters "LM" or maybe other letters specific to an alternative manufacturer. A number consisting of all digits may be a proprietary part number of the manufacturer of this device.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:34:44 pm »
If possible, Kindly check with a multimeter if your IC has GND in pin#4 and VCC in pin#7.

pin#3 GND, pin#4 -12V, pin#7 +12V

A LM318 is a candidate, though I have not see such a crude marking for such a part.

Good shot. But I am confused by the presence on the board of lm318 with normal markings. Accordingly, if it is lm318, then it should be somewhat special. Moreover, I have a second exactly the same board and the situation is the same with the chips: two normal lm318 and one with the same orange marking.

The soldering at the chip look rather poor - so maybe give it a try and resolder the pins.

One board is completely dead, other is noisy. For now, I'm documenting schematic and identifying unknown components. I haven't started the repair yet.

What type of gear is this ? This can give a hint what properties for the OP are needed and thus limit the possible candidates.

This is amplifier board from gamma spectrometry multichannel analyzer.

How important is it to recognize it? If you are repairing something here, do you have a schematic of the surrounding circuit?
LM318 pinout is the same as 99% if not 100% of DIP8 single channel opamps. Differences may exist on pins 1,5,8 → see point above.

Of course, if the chip has to be changed, I will start with lm318. But if possible, I would like to find out the manufacturer and the exact chip model so that after the repair the device does not worsen its characteristics. After documenting the schematic, I will add a schematic fragment with this chip to the topic.

Do you recognize the logo on this IC, does it appear on other chips in the same device? The "318" in LM318 would typically be preceded by letters "LM" or maybe other letters specific to an alternative manufacturer. A number consisting of all digits may be a proprietary part number of the manufacturer of this device.

Unfortunately the logo is not familiar to me. An orange marking with this logo is present on the single chip on the board. On the second same board, on the same chip, the marking looks exactly the same, but in worse quality. I'm pretty sure the device manufacturer didn't make chips, so it must be something standard.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:54:09 pm »
The manufacturer could have internal part numbers for standard chips (or maybe customized/selected grades of otherwise standard chip) and order parts with the custom numbers printed on them.

But if other chips have normal markings and the logo is not of the manufacturer and not of any well know semiconductor vendor, then :-//

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 02:27:59 pm »
If there are normal LM318 already in the circuit, it is somewhat unlikely this is a LM318 too.
So maybe draw a schematics for the circuit around this chip and than find a suitable modern OP for that task. This may not be the same chip, but well possible to find a better one - though the need for DIP could limit the choice.

Offline jwet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:14:54 pm »
I think the 0318 is a date code and its a house numbered (proprietary) part.  Judging by the tantalums surrounding it, my guess would be an ICL7660 or equiv.  This are inverting charge pumps that can take 5V and make -5v at low currents.  Precision and high speed circuits often use these to do "single supply" with good op-amps.  R-R input op-amps usually have a funny input structure (P and N) that degrade precision.  See if that makes sense and if it makes negative volts.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 03:25:57 pm »
If that helps, multiple sources identify the AS logo as Analog Systems.(1)(2)(3)(4) Unfortunately I can’t quickly find information on them: being a common phrase, “analog systems” is not exactly making to the top of the results. Weak links include a WikiBooks entry an anonymous user has once added (listed with Marconi Company) and Finnish Micro Analog Systems, but that’s a poor match — in particular with no fitting logos.

I doubt it’s an op-amp, thought. Assuming there is no SMD resistors on the other side, I can only see capacitors in the direct vincinity of the chip. That would be an unusual configuration for an op-amp.

(1) Diverse Devices, logo #20 in upper left corner, the associated description.
(2) Dial Electronics (archived)
(3) Canics, A-L, row 7, column 3 (archived)
(4) IC-Logos (archived)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 03:36:05 pm by golden_labels »
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

The following users thanked this post: johnny911

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 01:36:38 pm »
Thank you all for the helpful hints and ideas.

Finally, I documented the section of the circuit with 00318 chip.
This is definitely a charge sensitive preamplifier. I found on this forum the topic "Charge sensitive amplifier for photomultiplier" with a discussion related to CSPs and opamp recommendations.

What do you think, Can the OPA141 be installed in place of 00318, with SO-8 to DIP-8 adapter? Or is there an opamp with characteristics similar to OPA141 in DIP-8 package exists?

And for the history, I attached a photo of the complete amp pcb. It's part of the ND-SIX MCA.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:06:22 pm by johnny911 »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 02:43:24 pm »
The OPA134 is relatively similar to the OPA141 and available in DIP. It is slightly higher noise and higher offset, but still a relatively good JFET OP. The OPA627 would also be possible, but a bit on the expensive side.

A charge sensitive amplier would make sense with FET OP.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 02:59:25 pm »
If that helps, multiple sources identify the AS logo as Analog Systems.
Seems right but it must be a fairly obscure company.

Linear had some JFET opamps in DIP but pricey. Do you care about offset voltage? If not, OPA1641 is similar to OPA141 but not trimmed for DC specs so cheaper. And still SMD only.

It's a good idea to check for anything connected to the nonstandard pins (1,5,8) that could play tricks on you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 03:04:01 pm by magic »

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 06:29:59 pm »
Linear had some JFET opamps in DIP but pricey. Do you care about offset voltage? If not, OPA1641 is similar to OPA141 but not trimmed for DC specs so cheaper. And still SMD only.

If I understand offset voltage phenomenon correctly, this will add a small DC offset to the op-amp ouptput. In the case of an MCA that performs relative voltage measurements, the op-amp offset voltage, probably, has little or no effect on the result. Anyway, I prefer the DIP package option.

It's a good idea to check for anything connected to the nonstandard pins (1,5,8) that could play tricks on you.

The attached schematic fragment is complete, except for the missing decouplig caps. 1,5,8 pins are not connected at all.

The OPA134 is relatively similar to the OPA141 and available in DIP.

Thank you. It seems that the OPA134 op-amp is way to go.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 08:20:42 pm »
Sorry, I missed your schematic.

Offset voltage means that it will not try to make IN- exactly equal to IN+ (ground), but a few mV more or less.
So you are correct about the output. Also, the detector will be biased to ± few mV rather than zero exactly, whatever the opamp's spec is.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 09:58:43 pm »
Thank you for explanation.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 12:59:34 am »
 |O

Analog Systems, Tucson, Arizona. I have heard of them before :palm:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-ne5534-misunderstood.29360/page-4

I even have that MA332 datasheet.
https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/130007/ETC1/MA332.html

BTW, they say that MA332 was rebranded RC5534 selected for THD, but I see a small problem:
- MA332 was unity gain stable with 3nF load; 5534 are unity gain stable IME with resistive load but I'm not sure if they take 3nF
- pin 5 is described as NC but 5534 has compensation there

It may still be true in the sense that it was a customized RC5534 they ordered from Raytheon, or maybe the DS was not accurate or maybe ordinary 5534 also meet those specs.

Anyway, if it's true that AS simply sold selected or customized chips of other manufacturers then you won't easily identify your chip. I can't find any databook of those guys, only two individual datasheets so far. The part number doesn't make sense and doesn't resemble those I know (MA-xxx), so it may have been a custom order from the manufacturer of your board, perhaps.

There is always one way, though, which may at least offer some clue ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/decapping-and-chip-documentation-howto/
(If you feel like sending the chip to Germany, contact the author of that post).

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 02:53:38 pm »
Wow, excellent research! To be honest, I was sure that the manufacturer's logo was placed rotated by 90 degrees, and the last letter is "D". As it turned out, it is placed vertically and exactly matches the logo from the datasheets.

With the latest information, I was able to find a reference book of linear discontinued components at Bitsaver. And it mentions the MA00318CP op-amp from Analog Systems. The databook even lists some of the electrical parameters of the MA00318CP.
So it is very likely that the mystery is finally solved.

Sending chip for decapping is too much as for me :-)

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 04:34:58 pm »
Nice book :)

The specs are not spectacular, it looks like TL071 could have a chance.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 04:43:49 pm »
Wow, excellent research! To be honest, I was sure that the manufacturer's logo was placed rotated by 90 degrees, and the last letter is "D". As it turned out, it is placed vertically and exactly matches the logo from the datasheets.

With the latest information, I was able to find a reference book of linear discontinued components at Bitsaver. And it mentions the MA00318CP op-amp from Analog Systems. The databook even lists some of the electrical parameters of the MA00318CP.
So it is very likely that the mystery is finally solved.

Sending chip for decapping is too much as for me :-)
That is an very insteresting data-book.
The data for the MA00318 look like nothing special at all  - more like close to a 741. So rather low speed and quite some input bias (BJT based). 

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 04:51:54 pm »
100nA Ib is wort case and 741 barely qualifies "typically" at 25°C. I thought about OP07, but its dynamic performance is nothing to write home about and it's not clear what slew rate is required.

I can't find the 7LM41HX drawing which is supposed to show this part.
7LM40HX shows something like TL072, 7LM41LX shows 741 with JFET input buffers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf