Author Topic: Need help identifying a quick-connect terminal please  (Read 946 times)

Offline LasheržTopic starter

• Contributor
Need help identifying a quick-connect terminal please
« on: July 06, 2020, 05:42:27 am »
I've been trying to identify this terminal all weekend and it's driving me bananas. I've searched so much that Google's asked me to verify my humanity and I'm not sure any more myself. I'm having dreams about it now.

I've been able to find it on one single site, which is this:

https://connectorexperts.com/i-31645543-term498.html?ref=category:1458515
Mine is the same exactly on all of the surfaces, although mine doesn't appear to have the outer edge M and instead says M then further towards the edge SEC or SE8, the final character is illegible.
It has what would seem to me like an easily identifiable mark W/M and also that strange cog-shaped c or o logo, but I haven't been able to find it on Mouser, Digikey, Google, a few other sites but I've done deep dives on the first 2. This has so far netted me this similarity but not exactly what I'm looking for:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/183025-1?qs=UMrTGIqlm7n5fwhEa5Ai7Q%3D%3D

It's so similar in fact that it's only missing a tab and it's shorter (16.5mm compared to 18.44 that I measured). Still I don't see any logos like that on any TE connectivity items, so I'm hoping that one of you can save me from this wild goose chase that I've subjected myself to. I could buy them for 36 dollars for 10, but I would prefer to have more than that and the price is insane compared to the usual scumbags.

Edit: I linked to the wrong page on connectorexperts originally.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:00:30 am by Lasherž »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help identifying a quick-connect terminal please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:58 am »
Some basic info, like dimensions, where it's found, etc. would be useful. (From the links, looks like maybe an automotive connector? So give info about make, model, etc.) Is it a standalone connector or a contact for a multi-pin connector? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:16:58 am »
Well, I can tell you the connectorexperts one is shorter than 18.44 mm as well. Dimensions aren't given, but it's pictured against a fractional-inch marked mat. 5/8 = 15.875, 6/8 = 19.050, which means 18.44 should be closer to 6/8's than what the picture shows.

Pictures of the exemplar(s) you've got currently, along with whatever connector housing it goes into. A clear shot of the logo you talked about. And whatever it mates to. And what tooki asked for.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Lasherž

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:42:51 pm »
From what I've measured it's:

18.44mm length
6.04mm width
3.34mm height

Inner tab can be a maximum of 5mm wide and 1.5mm tall. The length of the tab could be 5mm without sticking out the back.

It is indeed automotive, the housing for it I've included in the pictures as well and the logo is the same (but much more visible on the housing). It's from a 2014 Honda Accord for a rear speaker wire which clips to the speaker terminals.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 03:51:15 pm »
One more image showing the housing and the side-view of the tabs. 5k limit prevented a 3rd image.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:57 pm »
Google AMP Faston F2 crimp connector. These are common and probably available at WalMart, Home Depot, and any auto parts store. Take one with you to match the size. Note your terminal may be a modification to lock into the plastic shell
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:42:21 pm by ArthurDent »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 05:23:18 pm »
The usual small Fastons mate with a flat tab, either 1/8, 3/16, or 1/4 inch wide.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 06:32:04 pm »

18.44mm length
6.04mm width
3.34mm height

Inner tab can be a maximum of 5mm wide and 1.5mm tall. The length of the tab could be 5mm without sticking out the back.

It is indeed automotive, the housing for it I've included in the pictures as well and the logo is the same (but much more visible on the housing). It's from a 2014 Honda Accord for a rear speaker wire which clips to the speaker terminals.

Once you gave this basic info, 5 minutes of googling told me it's a connector by Sumitomo Electric. The "maximum 5mm" means it'll be an industry-standard 4.8mm.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:41:44 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Lasherž

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 06:33:43 pm »
In fact, looking at the closeup of the connector, I bet the "SE" stands for "Sumitomo Electric" (it's their logo next to it), and the M likely means it's the medium size terminal.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:40:28 pm »
Since you didn't provide any pictures of the mating surface of the connector, or of the top, I can't really tell which one it is for certain. I think it's either a 6098-0325 or 6098-0471 but could also be a 6098-5119.

Look at those and see which matches. Each one then has the matching terminals linked.

And actually, looking at the terminal drawings narrows it down to the last one, as its terminals are nominally 3.4mm thick, whereas the others are 3.8mm. So boom, the part you need is Sumitomo 8100-0606.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:47:46 pm by tooki »

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 06:54:29 pm »
And this place sells those for $0.27 a piece: http://www.cycleterminal.com/hd-series.html

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »
Good job, tooki.

Depends on what your goal is, of course. If you're trying to fix a damaged connector on the harness, that's perfect.
The other obvious source is to go to the parts counter at a Honda dealership. The car is new enough to be supported.

If you're just trying to connect to it to attach non-stock speakers, there's adapter cables all over the place, easily found with search string "honda accord speaker connector" (knowing the context helps so much!). Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEPJY
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:20:45 pm by Nusa »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 08:58:02 pm »

18.44mm length
6.04mm width
3.34mm height

Once you gave this basic info, 5 minutes of googling told me it's a connector by Sumitomo Electric. The "maximum 5mm" means it'll be an industry-standard 4.8mm.

4.8 mm is 3/16 inch, one of the normal Faston options.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 03:39:02 pm »
Wow Tooki thanks so much. I think you've got the part pegged. It's definitely sumitomo and $.27 is amazing compared to over 10x that from the terminal dealer I linked. You're much better at Googling than me, so I'm curious what the proper term is for these? Mouser was listing similar pieces under the classification of terminal, quick connect, connector, and tab connector.

I gave Honda a call just now and I guess they don't source individual connectors except for the taillights. She said if I brought it in they might be able to find it in their scrap parts but I think I'm going to try and source it new. I could get it from a junkyard for sure if I go there in person, but I figure I'll probably get the best deal going Tooki's route at this point. I appreciate your help all the same.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »
Tim, the reason why I needed it to be specific is because those tabs you can see on the third image allow it to clip into the connector. Without those tabs simply fitting the same 4.8mm connector isn't enough, but I think in general faston is at least a good range of parts to keep on hand since it will work. However, this case is all about returning to as close to stock as possible, so it'll have to clip in correctly not just to the mating connector but to the harness.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf