Author Topic: Misunderstanding of data sheet of photodiode C30954EH  (Read 612 times)

Offline ggeorgievTopic starter

• Contributor
Misunderstanding of data sheet of photodiode C30954EH
« on: June 08, 2023, 05:15:37 pm »
Hi all,

I am a bit confused about the datasheet of the photodiode C30954EH https://www.excelitas.com/de/de/file-download/download/public/60161?filename=Excelitas_Si_APD_C30954EH_datasheet.pdf  from Excelitas.

As shown in the picture below, they have written Anode (Negative Lead) and Cathode (Positive Lead). But isn't that actually wrong?
Isn't the anode usually always the positive lead and the cathode the negative one?

Or why have they written it that way?

Thanks in advance for the help!
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Misunderstanding of data sheet of photodiode C30954EH
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 05:46:25 pm »
The diode itself does not have "positive" or "negative" side. Photodiodes are typically operated in a reverse-biased configuration, so I guess they stressed this fact by marking C and A that way.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: ggeorgiev

Offline ggeorgievTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 06:09:16 pm »
The diode itself does not have "positive" or "negative" side. Photodiodes are typically operated in a reverse-biased configuration, so I guess they stressed this fact by marking C and A that way.

I want to use the diode in a reversed-biased configuration. So connecting it as shown in the picture below, basically Anode and Case to the ground and Cathode to the negative input of the OPAM, must be correct. "Without being confused by negative and positive.."

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 06:12:46 pm »
Yes, this is the typical connection. So, go with the Anode/Cathode nomenclature and ignore those "helpful" notes.
Alex

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 06:17:45 pm »
Anode (the arrow side of the diode symbol) and Cathode (the bar side of the diode symbol) of any diode are dedicated terms.  'Positive lead' and 'Negative lead' are ad-hoc terms, probably used to denote that the photodiode should be kept polarized in reverse in the detection circuit.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 06:23:22 pm »
In the schematic you posted both the anode and the cathode of the diode are connected to the same potential, the signal ground, because the positive input of the opamp is also at the signal ground.  A and B inputs of the opamp are at the same potential.

To polarize the diode in reverse, you'll have to keep the in+ of the opamp at a higher potential than the anode of the diode.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 06:25:08 pm by RoGeorge »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf