Author Topic: Is a slight continuity beep between + and - on a AC/DC PSU normal?  (Read 519 times)

Offline rthorntnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all,

I have a Meanwell RT-125A here, it's never been used, I connected it up with no load and I get a flashing green light, I think this PSU needs some amps on the 5V so this may be the problem.

But it got me checking things, so I bust out my U1272A put it on Ω and hit Shift, if I put one probe on common and the other on +5V I get a tiny beep and the display reads 45, it happens to a lesser extent on -5V but the display quickly goes to 0.

I read that this could just be "Most linear supplies will show a short for a few seconds until the caps charge up from the probe's bias current. That is normal" [gearspace.com] but now I'm worried and I didn't think this Meanwell was linear (although I think I can see a transformer inside there)?

Thanks.
Richard
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:57:59 am by rthorntn »

Online Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
Re: Is a slight continuity beep between + and - on a AC/DC PSU normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 05:19:47 am »
Unless it shows a dead short, a continuity reading on the output of a power supply is meaningless. (You'd be checking it when it's unplugged/off)
Better to put some sort of a small resistive load on it, power it on, and measure the voltage across the load. Aim for a current draw of around 10% of it's rated output for a quick test. (not super critical)

Doesn't look like that power supply has a minimum load requirement according to this datasheet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:24:36 am by Kim Christensen »

The following users thanked this post: rthorntn

Offline rthorntnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 05:58:12 am »
I put my re:load on it, set to 2A and it worked fine!

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 06:59:04 am »
I have a Meanwell RT-125A here, it's never been used, I connected it up with no load and I get a flashing green light, I think this PSU needs some amps on the 5V so this may be the problem.

According to the datasheet, there is a minimum load requirement of 15% of the rated output current for CH1 (5V @ 12A) which translates to:
15% of 12A = 1.8A. 2A > 1.8A.

I think that the reason the LED flashes is because of the minimum duty cycle capability of the PWM controller; I don't think it's low enough to regulate without a load connected to the output.

The following users thanked this post: rthorntn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf