Author Topic: Octopus Curve Tracer and capacters  (Read 2568 times)

Offline whitevampTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Octopus Curve Tracer and capacters
« on: May 12, 2017, 05:49:18 am »
so i just got my new ds1054z today and i decided to make a Octopus Curve Tracer and check out some components, and i hooked up a 220mf electrolytic to it and i did see a circle as you would expect to see but i was getting a line above and below it.
i then hooked up another cap to it, and i saw it with just one line above it, and it also had lines running through it.
the lines was intersecting the top of the circle, and bottom. so it was not a separate line.

so are these caps bad? or is it a case of  ID10t   :-//
and i did test a .1 ceramic cap and saw a nice round circle.

and if you don't know what ID10t is. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ID10T

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Octopus Curve Tracer and capacters
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:15:55 pm »
It's difficult to tell what's going one without a picture - but I will say this.  You generally should not test polarized caps with a basic octopus tester because it applies an AC test signal and will reverse bias them - not a good idea.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: whitevamp

Offline whitevampTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Octopus Curve Tracer and capacters
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
It's difficult to tell what's going one without a picture - but I will say this.  You generally should not test polarized caps with a basic octopus tester because it applies an AC test signal and will reverse bias them - not a good idea.
ok thats good to know.
and since its not a good idea to test them this way, i wont bother  taking a pic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf