Author Topic: Is Digikey marketplace no different from Aliexpress?  (Read 1530 times)

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is Digikey marketplace no different from Aliexpress?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2024, 12:15:59 pm »
I did an an image search on "Yageo FMP100". Looking at the photos, I could confuse them with 1/4W resistors.

Have you tested them at, say, 3/4W: to see how hot they get – or for how long?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 12:18:25 pm by jfiresto »
-John

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2024, 12:21:54 pm »
I did an an image search on "Yageo FMP100". Looking at the photos, I could confuse them with 1/4W resistors.

Have you tested them at, say, 3/4W: to see how hot they get – or for how long?
They will get just as hot as 1/4W resistors, maybe a tiny bit cooler if their surface is somewhat better at IR radiation. The major difference is in temperature they can survive. In any case the suspicion they're 1/4W is absolutely nonsensical and is not based on anything other than initial confusion due to their size and not reading documentation. Heck, he could just looked on dimension spec on digikey product page.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 12:26:19 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2024, 12:26:16 pm »
Could you self-heat one for a while and then check the resistance change?
-John

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2024, 12:27:35 pm »
Why bother with this nonsense. :palm: To confirm that 1W resistors in this size do exist and it's not a conspiracy, or what?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 12:36:21 pm by wraper »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2024, 12:30:14 pm »
I shifted from digikey to LCSC
Digikey asks too much questions about the parts you're buying.
You have to fill in a lot of forms, like you're buying a firearm.
I would accept that if these were some specific components, which can be used in military or questionable areas.
But recently I needed current sense resistors and switching power supply (LOF750). They cancelled my order because information I provided "was not enough"
So I gave up and ordered them elsewhere.
Most likely they cancelled PSU order because Mornsun was put in US sanction list.

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2024, 12:50:25 pm »
Why bother with this nonsense. :palm: To confirm that 1W resistors in this size do exist and it's not a conspiracy, or what?
I may be old fashioned, but first I would want to test more favorable explanations that would result or eventually result in a pile of 1W resistors I need not wonder about.
-John

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2024, 01:10:14 pm »
I may be old fashioned, but first I would want to test more favorable explanations that would result or eventually result in a pile of 1W resistors I need not wonder about.
He got delivered exactly what he ordered but screwed Digikey two times and wasted his own time as well for a lack of better judgment to verify what he actually ordered. The only reason for this drama is not knowing the same power rating comes in different sizes. Should you use this resistor close to it's max rating? Nope, unless you really must as there is less headroom in these that run real hot compared to larger ones.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2024, 02:27:19 pm »
AliExpress takes a week or 3..may or may not be good parts (see  https://youtu.be/pMjhJ9kcaU4  @13:45 )
Ordered parts from DigiKey last week (late night order) , ..needed 1W resistors (tube amp repair) they sent 1/4 Watt  - from Winnipeg.
I've found with Digikey, ..if one orders earlier in the day, it gets picked & shipped form Thief River Falls, USA. Never a problem.
If you order later (from Canada) & it gets picked by, umm, from Winnipeg by, well, umm.... just don't expect to get your correct order.
Happened several times, just  sayin'..
Given that DK only has one warehouse location for the entire world (their HQ in Thief River Falls), the chance that your orders get picked from a Canadian warehouse are somewhere between zero, nothing, nada, and zilch. (DigiKey doesn’t even have a sales office in Canada.)

What you’re probably seeing is some logistics quirk whereby some orders are somehow routed in bulk to Canada (i.e. already boxed and labeled) and then distributed there. Thief River Falls is closer to Canada — and specifically, Winnipeg — than it is to any major US city (the closest being Minneapolis).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf