Author Topic: EMI Generation to test baluns and cabling.  (Read 381 times)

Offline Puffie40Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Irregular Logic
EMI Generation to test baluns and cabling.
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:38 pm »
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but is there a way to induce EMI noise to test the function and quality of a CCTV balun? So far I've tried running a corded power drill next to the wires (I might try something like a relay or starter solonoid) , but Im not sure what else I can try outside of a signal injection.

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EMI Generation to test baluns and cabling.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 12:53:40 am »
Balun's are for equalizing currents in elements, impedance matching and common-mode current rejection. It sounds like you are trying to make a choke to suppress EMI. Exactly what is your goal? Is there an offending signal interfering with the system? Are you trying to carry the signal down a transmission line of high impedance? What test equipment do you have?

Before I had a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator, I would use a broadband noise generator (my avalanche TDR for coax cable testing works great for that) and the peak-hold feature on a USB Picoscope with FFT. You might be able to inject some noise using a file and a 1A 12V wall adapter by holding the file to the cable shield under test and run the 12v wires across the file if your best tech is a DVM.

The real issue is what frequencies you need to block because NTSC CCTV systems have control signals ranging from a few kHz to video signals at a few MHz. With such low frequencies, the skin effect does not keep the control signals (and likely the video signals) contained to the inner surface of the braid, and any choke at those frequencies could adversely affect the communication.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf