Author Topic: Grounding of non-isolated power supply  (Read 601 times)

wraper, Andy Chee and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline x4ceTopic starter

• Contributor
Grounding of non-isolated power supply
« on: Yesterday at 06:22:37 pm »
Hello,

I have created a following non-isolated power supply circuit. I am very well aware that it could be dangerous. This is the first time I am trying to build a non-isolated supply and wanted to ask about grounding. The grounding shown is correct? Can we isolate it using capacitors?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Today at 04:26:39 am by x4ce »

Online Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Grounding of non-isolated power supply
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:30:26 pm »
This non-isolated design cannot be connected to ground.  Ground must remain unconnected.

If you require grounding, then use an isolated design.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, x4ce

Offline PGPG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:08:26 pm »
wanted to ask about grounding. The grounding shown is correct?

What do you understand as 'grounding'?
1. Connecting to protective grounding of your AC supply?
2. Point to which '-' of something being supplied by your supply should be connected?

If 1. - don't do that!
If 2. - yes it is the right point/net to get '-' of your supply. But have in mind that this point even it can be the 'ground' to some circuit it is not save ground. It should not be touched by you.

And why you used +5V power symbol while you used 3.3V IC?

The following users thanked this post: x4ce

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:34:50 am »
Thanks for your response.

Thanks for pointing out the power symbol and I have updated my schematic, accordingly.

Yes, by grounding, I meant connecting negative(-) of the DC supply. So, the neg(-) of DC will be connected with AC neutral and touching may be very risky. In such a design, is it suggested to use a ground plane in PCB as it will cover the whole PCB and more risk associated with it?

Should I also put AGND on AC input side before bridge? I have used only on the rectified side.

Secondly, I have a Zener diode of 5.1V/1W rating and using 3V3 LDO, there might be a loss but as it is powered through mains then no big deal? Should I replace it with 3.9V/1W one?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Today at 04:36:28 am by x4ce »

Online Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:05:30 am »
Should I also put AGND on AC input side before bridge? I have used only on the rectified side.

Definitely NO!

This design must only use reference GND on the rectified side.

Remember, this is reference GND, not safety GND.  If you want something safe, then the entire design must be changed.

Wat is the purpose of your power supply?  Are you powering a light dimmer?  Motor controller?  Or medical device?  Touch sensor?
« Last Edit: Today at 06:07:10 am by Andy Chee »

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:23:49 am »
Are $1.34 minus the capacitor dropper components really worth the following risks:

- Electric shock while testing
- Electric shock due to insulation failure
- Circuit destruction due to accidental / wrong grounding
- Circuit destruction due to power surges or stupid phase correlation of switching off/switching on

Yes there are some applications for capacitive droppers, but is yours one of them?

https://hlktech.net/index.php?id=product&cate=cate703

PS: I personally started replacing capacitive droppers with these modules as soon as I see one with a blown fuse or fuse resistor. Up to now this always was a final solution, I have never had a failure with these micro-SMPS so far.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:30:06 am by Phil1977 »
Every time you think you designed something foolproof, the universe catches up and designs a greater fool.

Online Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:57:05 am »

Offline Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:09:48 am »
But these notoriously unsafe modules are also notoriously unreliable.

The low-power potted modules are even cheaper, safer and more reliable. They just don't have much power.

PS: I miss a fuse in the OP´s design.
Every time you think you designed something foolproof, the universe catches up and designs a greater fool.

Offline PGPG

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:34:11 pm »
So, the neg(-) of DC will be connected with AC neutral and touching may be very risky.

I don't understand your reasoning.
Where from the conclusion that (-) of DC will be connected with AC neutral?

If it were connected with neutral touching it would be not so risky. But it is not connected with neutral.

Seeing your reasoning, and those simple mistake with 3V3 and 5V I think that even you declared that you are "very well aware that it could be dangerous" you should not do this project.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:14:54 pm »
The 100 Ohms and 2.2uF are only about 1.5k at 50Hz. 220 volt rms ac input lets -200mA peak through the bridge rectifier to the point you ask about connecting to ground. Gasp!

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Today at 02:22:07 pm »
Ground != Earth. In many cases they're connected together but ground is not the same as Protective Earth (PE). Ground basically is just a common reference point in the circuit, usually a negative power rail or in the middle of split power rails. So there is nothing wrong with OP's circuit per se, as long as everything is well isolated from the outside (it must not be connected to PE other than through Y class safety capacitors).
« Last Edit: Today at 03:39:43 pm by wraper »

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:36:15 pm »
So, the neg(-) of DC will be connected with AC neutral and touching may be very risky.

I don't understand your reasoning.
Where from the conclusion that (-) of DC will be connected with AC neutral?

If it were connected with neutral touching it would be not so risky. But it is not connected with neutral.

Seeing your reasoning, and those simple mistake with 3V3 and 5V I think that even you declared that you are "very well aware that it could be dangerous" you should not do this project.

Thanks for your honest suggestion.

From that I meant that AC phase & neutral will be passing through bridge to rectified side and there might still be high voltage or risk associated?

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Today at 05:39:39 pm »

Definitely NO!

Remember, this is reference GND, not safety GND.  If you want something safe, then the entire design must be changed.

Wat is the purpose of your power supply?  Are you powering a light dimmer?  Motor controller?  Or medical device?  Touch sensor?

Thanks!

I want to make a low-cost, AC powered solution for powering microcontroller.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:41:12 pm »
But these notoriously unsafe modules are also notoriously unreliable.

The low-power potted modules are even cheaper, safer and more reliable. They just don't have much power.

PS: I miss a fuse in the OP´s design.

I have used these modules in one of my projects but I had 35V in my neg(-) rail and that might be due to induction through PCB. Besides, you need to have protection with it as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:42:26 pm »
Ground != Earth. In many cases they're connected together but ground is not the same as Protective Earth (PE). Ground basically is just a common reference point in the circuit, usually a negative power rail or in the middle of split power rails. So there is nothing wrong with OP's circuit per se, as long as everything is well isolated from the outside (it must not be connected to PE other than through Y class safety capacitors).

Is there any further suggestion in its improvement.

Thanks

Online Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:56:51 pm »

Definitely NO!

Thanks!

I want to make a low-cost, AC powered solution for powering microcontroller.

Yes, but what does the microcontroller do?  Is the microcontroller connected to sensors?  What kind of sensors?  Is the microcontroller connected to MOSFET for motor PWM?  or light/LED dimming phase control triac?

This extra information is important to making your project a success.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:58:08 pm »

Is there any further suggestion in its improvement.

Thanks
With this circuit in isolation it does not even matter what you consider as ground. Often it's just something arbitrary just to draw schematics with GND symbols instead of long lines across all the circuit. Also it's used for simulation as you define it as a reference point for all voltages.
For particular circuit I can give some suggestions not related to GND. Either: a) add a fuse, or B) throw out R3 and use fusible resistor with adequate voltage rating for R1 (TVS is not needed for this circuit and likely will cause more reliability problems than it solves). R1 also should be sufficiently powerful to survive inrush current when powered on. R2 must be rated for at least 350V peak voltage, regular 1/4W resistors are not suitable. Must be higher power or high voltage series. C1 should be a usual film capacitor rated for at least 630VDC or X2/X1 safety capacitor. For Input connector I suggest using 3 pin version and leave middle contact unconnected to have more distance.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:14:03 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf