Author Topic: Rebuild pads for FFC socket  (Read 2029 times)

Offline maurosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rebuild pads for FFC socket
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:37:51 pm »
Hello everyone!

I would like to fix an FFC socket on a pcb where some pads are missing

https://imgur.com/a/vVOqj

But first I would have to rebuild the missing pads on the pcb and using hot air to weld the FFC. I was thinking of using very thin copper wire but my doubt is if I can fix it with cyanoacrylate. I would read with pleasure your opinion as well as your suggestions on some alternative technique.

Best regards

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rebuild pads for FFC socket
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:59:54 pm »
up ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:59 pm »
Very interesting. Tell me what equipment I need to get myself  :-+

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:48:57 pm »
Woww thats a mess, I guess somebody wasn't very carefull removing the old connector! In any case I would not bother trying to fix the pcb but just resolder the connector back onto the remaining pads then repair the missing connections with thin silver plated kynar fed through the empty via's from underneath where nececery :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:53 pm »
Woww thats a mess, I guess somebody wasn't very carefull removing the old connector! In any case I would not bother trying to fix the pcb but just resolder the connector back onto the remaining pads

ok

with thin silver plated kynar fed through the empty via's from underneath where nececery :)

could you tell me how ?

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:04:40 pm »
Well you need 30AWG or thinner kynar so it will fit through the via's behind the connector allowing you to pick up the signals that used to be tracked to the front of the pads. Things that used to connect to the rear of the pads are easy to do with the same wire to wherever you can pickup the signal close as possible. Best do the underside problem first maybe.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:31 pm »
Well you need 30AWG or thinner kynar so it will fit through the via's behind the connector allowing you to pick up the signals that used to be tracked to the front of the pads. Things that used to connect to the rear of the pads are easy to do with the same wire to wherever you can pickup the signal close as possible. Best do the underside problem first maybe.

I did not understand if the kynar is an electric wire or a resin that melts and solidifies. If it's an electric wire, what's the difference with a standard wire ? I already have thin wires.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:29 pm »

I did not understand what you mean "front of the pads" and "via's behind"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »
Sometimes, certain things are not easy to understand only by writing. What I understood from what you wrote is that instead of taking the signal in front of FFC, I can use a wire that runs from behind the FFC connector. If so, however, escapes me a thing since the FFC i have to place it over the wire to weld it with hot air, but when the tin will melt the FFC a little will lower and it could create a short circuit between the pads. But surely I misunderstood.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 12:32:49 am »
up

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 03:45:31 pm »
Kynar wire is semi heat resistant, it does not shrink back like pvc, look it up on the web. 30awg is a fine size and silver plating ensures it solders in the minimium time.  As for the explanation, look at the problem yourself! You can only attach wires to the rear of the connector so how are you going to connect them to the remains of the torn off pads only available at the front of the connector ? You should realise you have to pick them up under the board and then feed the wires through to the top, how ? the convenently placed via's behind the connector (via is a hole). BTW thats how I would do it rather than trying to repair the PCB :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:24:04 pm by fourtytwo42 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:38 am »
Thanks for the reply.
Not all vias match on the other side and some time ago I had already prepared to do a job like that, looking for the individual signals directly on the main of the pcb

The problem is that the FFC must be connected to the flex of an LCD display that does not work and I think that among the 28 pins there could be someone that I have identified incorrectly on the mainboard.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 08:04:03 am »
Not all vias match on the other side

to tell the truth, none

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf