Author Topic: Choosing between electronics and mechatronics  (Read 4504 times)

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Choosing between electronics and mechatronics
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »
Hello everyone again.

I know mechatronics is relatively new, but I need some advise on picking a career to study.
The main problem is that I am not mechanically inclined and I don't know how much it may suck for me. I could just study electronics, but I miss many of the interesting stuff, like control systems and integration with computers and maybe even embedded software development (I kind of like it).

My main interest in electronics are, ironically, project that involve mechatronics in them. I am particularly interested in systems using microcontrollers that take some input from advanced sensors (like GPS, RFID, accelerometers and the like) and handles some output, like LCD's, motors, LED's and, computers. I already know how to use I2C, as well as RS232, both of which are used in the sensors as well as the actuators and indicators I already mentioned.

I already read a book on mechatronics, called "Introduction to Mechatronics and Measurement Systems", the third edition. When I started reading it I realized I was doing the electronic part of mechatronics without even noticing. I haven't started doing hobby mechanics (if that exists) mainly because I never had the interest nor the tools and space to do it.

So, what do you think I should study? I know the final decision is mine, but I need some advice to avoid making a (really expensive) mistake in choosing my career.

Thanks to everyone,
Ivan

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Choosing between electronics and mechatronics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:05:45 pm »
but I need some advice to avoid making a (really expensive) mistake in choosing my career.
you dont usually look at what course is this and that to look for expensive or not. you look at what jobs are on high demand out there. my uncle adviced me to go mechanical because the course i originally choosen (aeronautics) dont give good job prospect. i'm thankful to him and happy with mech, but now i'm something else, not a mech eng, not a ee, not a eng, which was my choice, and the choice was totally independent of what course was studied in the U.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »
Here mechatronics is picked by those who have an interest in mechanics with a dash of electronics. And they often find out that they hate the electronics part, even the dumbed down version they get . But this "robot" thing just sounded sooooooooooooo cool, compared to mechanical engineering when they signed up. Mechatronics is typically not picked by those primarily or exclusively interested in electronics.

Mechatronics as it is taught here is a highly specialized subject, targeting a niche with the hope that the niche will broaden in the future. Mechatronics is also promoted by some industries, because they hope to get two for the price of one. On guy capable of taking care of their mechanical and electronics/electrical needs, instead of having to hire two.

On the other hand, electronics engineering is taught in a very broad way, as opposite to the highly specialized mechatronics. Lots of industries and directions to go to with such a degree.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Mint.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:21:31 am »
One of my friends used to do it, but he changed subjects because he said that mechatronics was very dull and boring.
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:57 am »
Note that mechatronics and electronics/electrical courses can vary GREATLY between countries, states, and even different schools even in the same area. Some will suck, and some will be excellent.
Your best bet is to check the subjects offered in each course, as that is the only way to get a feel for which one will suit you best.

The regular EE course would in theory offer the best option in terms of career flexibility. But either one would ultimately be fine.

Dave.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »
I have started to compare both programs in a particular local university that offers both. I'll have to start searching for universities that offer these programs, their prices and maybe look for possible scholarships. One cool thing I found out on this particular uni. is that if you know enough english, you may choose another language to study. I'll probably pick chinese, but I doubt somebody can learn chinese in a year.

There are also courses you can pick from, but they aren't listed in the brochure I got, so I will probably do further investigation on that.

you look at what jobs are on high demand out there.
Pointed. I will take that in consideration

Here mechatronics is picked by those who have an interest in mechanics with a dash of electronics. And they often find out that they hate the electronics part, even the dumbed down version they get .

It seems like the mechatronics being taught in this particular university is actually a bit of electronics and a bit of mechanics, focusing more on mechanics and specialized math. The electronics program seems to have more courses on electronics (obviously), but not enough to fill the entire program, so they teach you things like "Professional Ethics" on some trimesters (on average one per trimester).

I may choose some mechanics related courses if they are offered (maybe).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:29:03 pm by ivan747 »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »
I have started to compare both careers in a particular local university that offers both. I'll have to start searching for universities that offer these careers...
This may just be a bit of a language and translation issue, but you should not consider a university as offering a career. A career is what you make for yourself, not what someone teaches you. University offers you an education, and you should use that education as a basis to build on and branch out from.

So when you are picking university courses or programs of study, you should pick the ones which seem to have the most interesting and rewarding content. You should obviously pick subjects that are relevant to your interests, but you don't need to think that what you study will define your career. To give an example, you can find mechanical engineers, electrical engineers or control engineers crossing over into the chemical engineering field where I make my home. And although I trained as a chemical engineer I do a lot of software engineering in my job. The learning is never over, and you can always turn your hand to new things.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
I have started to compare both careers in a particular local university that offers both. I'll have to start searching for universities that offer these careers...
This may just be a bit of a language and translation issue, but you should not consider a university as offering a career. A career is what you make for yourself, not what someone teaches you. University offers you an education, and you should use that education as a basis to build on and branch out from.

So when you are picking university courses or programs of study, you should pick the ones which seem to have the most interesting and rewarding content. You should obviously pick subjects that are relevant to your interests, but you don't need to think that what you study will define your career. To give an example, you can find mechanical engineers, electrical engineers or control engineers crossing over into the chemical engineering field where I make my home. And although I trained as a chemical engineer I do a lot of software engineering in my job. The learning is never over, and you can always turn your hand to new things.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was referring to a program or degree. I will modify the post to correct that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf