Author Topic: DS1052E removed from ebay?  (Read 13770 times)

Offline DaveBTopic starter

DS1052E removed from ebay?
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:12:32 pm »
The US ebay site has removed all the cheap listings for the DS1052E.  I received a notice from ebay about the listing removals.  I purchased one for $381 early last month but now all the listings are for at least $550.

Offline Erik

• Contributor
Re: DS1052E removed from ebay?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:12:27 pm »
Some other people noticed it aswell as shown in this other topic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=30.0

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:16 pm »
The US ebay site has removed all the cheap listings for the DS1052E.  I received a notice from ebay about the listing removals. 

What did the notice say?

We are trying to get to the bottom of this, it is much talked about on various forums.

Dave.

Offline DaveBTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »
We recently learned that eBay removed the listing for the following transaction.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Seller's Name:  
Seller's Email: lindacao814 (at) gmail.com
Seller's Transaction ID: <removed>

Transaction Date: Dec 2, 2009
Transaction Amount: -$381.88 USD
Your Transaction ID: <removed>
eBay item number: 270484709479

Buyer's Transaction ID: <removed>

PayPal can help you understand and resolve transaction issues in the Security Center.

1.  Go to PayPal.com.
2.  Click Security Center at the top of the page.
3.  Click Buying Safely on the left.
4.  Click Protection for Your Purchases.
5.  Click Purchase Protection Programs.

If you have questions, please click Contact Us at the bottom of the page.

If you do not have a PayPal account, you will need to sign up for one. Once you open your account, you can view your transaction and file a dispute.

When you sent your payment through PayPal, you received an email receipt. If you still have access to that receipt, open the email and click Sign Up Now. Or visit PayPal.com/signup. If you've misplaced the receipt, we can resend it to you.

Thanks,

PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP1371

I received 4 of these notices within a 2 hour period last night (Jan 6, 2010) from service@paypal.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:13:19 pm by DaveB »

Offline jone

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »

What did the notice say?

We are trying to get to the bottom of this, it is much talked about on various forums.

Dave.

My notice was like this, no interesting clues unfortunately.. :(

Dear xxxxx,

We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended an item you were bidding on for breaching of one or more of our policies. As it's important that eBay maintains member privacy, we can't tell you exactly why the listing was removed.

Any offers or bids placed on this listing are now null and void. If you were the winning bidder, you're no longer obliged to pay for the item:

xxxxxxxxxxxx - Rigol DS1052E DS 1052E 2 Channel Digital Oscilloscope

Here's what you can do if you've already paid for the item:....

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:23 am »
That's typical of ebay not to tell you.

We know it's for alleged "dumping" of products, which is actually hard to believe, but that's the reason ebay have given the sellers.
Obviously some seller (who may not even be on ebay) has complained about the low prices other people are able to offer the Rigol at and ebay have taken the shotgun approach and removed all the listings for Rigol scopes under a certain price. It's ridiculous.

Would love to know who the complainer is!

Dave.

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:19 am »
Well, the suspect list is huge. You can't find Rigol scopes for less than $500 from local resellers regardless of whether you live in EU, AU or US. What seems odd, that I could not find any references to "price dumping" on ebay policies. It's an auction site, why would they care about prices?

I'm really upset with ebay. I even took liberty to send them a complaint regarding the removal of listings, but their answer was rather generic and I don't think that my "feedback" will get anywhere past the support people..

jasonca2

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
I bought a Rigol the day before they got taken down and received that same message from ebay.  I just ordered another one from Saelig, so I have one on the way but had to pay $519 for it.

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 04:35:32 am »
is the owon any good ? i've seen the slower one for high 200usd

Offline APS

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »
is the owon any good ? i've seen the slower one for high 200usd

You can see OWON PDS5022

also you can read review in Elektor Electronic-October 2008 called Value for money. It is comparison between Owon MSO5022 and Rigol DS1102C.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
Well, the suspect list is huge. You can't find Rigol scopes for less than $500 from local resellers regardless of whether you live in EU, AU or US. What seems odd, that I could not find any references to "price dumping" on ebay policies. It's an auction site, why would they care about prices?

I'm really upset with ebay. I even took liberty to send them a complaint regarding the removal of listings, but their answer was rather generic and I don't think that my "feedback" will get anywhere past the support people..

even as a seller I've never ever got any sense out of ebay, the ebay owners have the biggest $$ signs for eyes I've ever seen and there are lots of cases where you cannot do such and such but the reason given is nonsense, just try using ebay's turbo lister (I say try because its the buggiest program ever even worth than anything M$ turned out) it has many times given me errors on trying to upload items and the reasons given were stupid it was plainly just to make me list it another way and make me pay more. they seem to think they rule ! well all for the better because it has put me in the position to seriously registering as self employed and a sole trader which will give me scope far beyond the joke of ebay.

ebay is always making the buyer right and making life hard for sellers, I had a case where someone had different mail addresses for ebay and paypal and it went to the wrong one after I complained to ebay that the buyer was trying to rip me off they found "neither of us guilty" ok I got away without loosing out but he got a refund when it was clear he was in a total mess and did not know what he was doing himself. there is also no way of namming and shaming buyers that are dishonest, I can't even leave negaive feedback to a buyer that was an asshole so the best I can do is not leave feedback and let him carry on ripping sellers off.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 09:07:08 pm »
You can't find Rigol scopes for less than $500 from local resellers regardless of whether you live in EU, AU or US. What seems odd, that I could not find any references to "price dumping" on ebay policies. It's an auction site, why would they care about prices?

The DS1052E is still available at low prices from several places like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573
one Australian drop-shipper is also selling it for under AU$500 delivered.

Ebay normally would not care about prices, as long as they get their cut. But they have to be seen as doing something when people complain, as they are constantly under pressure from various governments and other groups. So they have to trade off some sales for the "appearance" of keeping listings legal etc.

Dave.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 09:16:16 pm »
but were there legally binding agreements on the minimum price of the scopes ?

veriz

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:35 am »
I bought a DS1052E off an ebay seller based in china last week( I haven't received it yet), and I just received  this email from ebay informing me that the listing has being removed due to claims from Rigol that item may not be authentic.

Is there some way to verify the scopes authenticity?

Thanks for your interest in this listing:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Rigol DS 1052E 50 MHz 2 Channel Digital Oscilloscope

While the vast majority of trade on our site is legitimate, we take many steps to protect our buyers from sellers who may offer items that are not authentic. One of them is to remove items reported to us as allegedly infringing through eBay's VeRO program. In this case, we removed the listing because the owner of a copyright and/or trademark in this product has reported to us that they believe the item may not be authentic.

We hope you'll understand that this action is intended to help protect you as a buyer.

Learn more about how we're working to prevent the sale of counterfeit items:
http://pages.ebay.com/againstcounterfeits/

We apologize for any inconvenience. eBay still has lots of other great deals. Just go to http://www.ebay.com to shop. We hope to see you soon.

Important: If you won the item and haven't paid for it yet, you should not complete the transaction. If you've already paid for the item, you may be able to recover your purchase price plus original shipping costs through the eBay resolution process:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/resolving-problems.html

We're sorry to tell you that the item isn't available for purchase anymore. We removed the listing because it likely fell into one of these three categories:

-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.
-- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.
-- The listing contains pictures or words that may have violated copyright or trademark rights.

This is disappointing for everyone, but sometimes it's an action we have to take to protect you as a buyer.

Important: If you won the item and haven't paid for it yet, you don't need to complete the transaction. If you've already paid for the item, we encourage you to contact the seller to get more information about the transaction. If you don't receive the item, your purchase price plus original shipping may be covered by the eBay resolution process:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/resolving-problems.html

We're sorry for the inconvenience. eBay still has lots of other great deals. Just go to http://www.ebay.com to shop. We hope to see you soon.

Thank you,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:26:19 am by veriz »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »
hm could be rigol have said that to get them off ebay. apart from a like for like comparison i see no way of telling the difference, we have just discovered how easy it is to alter the firmware

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf