Author Topic: Direction of Current?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline JeffL1Topic starter

Direction of Current?
« on: September 21, 2024, 05:21:32 am »
I can't get my head around this?  Current travels from Positive to Negative, but electrons travel from Negative to Positive.  I thought current was the flow of electrons.  What does this all mean?  :-//

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Direction of Current?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 05:27:42 am »
use a compass and right hand rule to find direction of current flow (ignore schematic)

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 05:33:44 am »
they guy that first defined the direction of current flow screwed up and we are stuck with, but it doesn't really matter it is just the way it is

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 07:39:39 am »
they guy that first defined the direction of current flow screwed up and we are stuck with, but it doesn't really matter it is just the way it is

Wasn't the guy Benjamin Franklin?

Offline PGPG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 08:08:45 am »
I thought current was the flow of electrons.  What does this all mean?  :-//

People defined current flow direction when they didn't know that really traveling objects (electrons) are negative.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2024, 08:15:21 am »
It is called technical current or conventional current. For most electronics, the electron current is irrelevant, since it's only relevant for cathode ray tubes or talking about how a transistor works. So just forget about the electron current.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2024, 08:28:51 am »
At the macroscopic level, negative charges moving in one direction look pretty much thr same as positive charges moving in the opposite direction.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2024, 08:36:29 am »
there might be a hole in your theory

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2024, 10:02:34 am »
Search for Richard Feynman electricity.
David
Hertfordshire, UK
University Electronics Technician, London, PIC16/18, CCS PCM C, Arduino UNO, NANO,ESP32, KiCad V8+, Altium Designer 21.4.1, Alibre Design Expert 28 & FreeCAD beginner. LPKF S103,S62 PCB router Operator, Electronics instructor. Credited KiCad French to English translator

Offline Xena E

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2024, 12:51:19 pm »
Current doesn't travel, or flow, anywhere: it's just a quantification of energy flow at a point in a circuit.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2024, 01:55:17 pm »
Electromagnetism was developed in the mid-19th century, culminating in work of Maxwell and Heaviside (q.v.), starting from previous work by Faraday and others.
Current is a scalar, with a positive or negative sign.
It is defined in physics as an integral over an area of the scalar product of the current density vector and the area vector normal to the area.
This was before the electron was discovered in 1897, and shown to have a negative charge using the existing definition of voltage and current polarity.
As can be found in elementary textbooks, the flow of electrons is one form of current, but the flow of positive ions is also an electrical current.
The easiest forms to consider are electrons through a vacuum tube, or ions in a particle accelerator vacuum:  current through solids (copper and semiconductors) is a more complicated process (solid-state physics).
I think of current in a wire as a slight tendency of a gazillion electrons to move to the right, making a current flowing to the left, as a result of a voltage gradient along the wire.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2024, 02:23:08 pm »
current through solids (copper and semiconductors) is a more complicated process (solid-state physics).
That turns it on its head. Currents through solids can sometimes be simplified by not thinking in terms of moving electrons.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2024, 04:12:50 pm »
It is all an agreement between people discussing the subject, and sometimes one way works better than the other.  There is nothing absolutely fundamental about either definition so don't get to worked up about it.  The only really important thing is to stay consistent within any single analysis.  And then be careful when copying or transferring results from one  analysis to another. 

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2024, 04:13:30 pm »
Current and charge are concepts that are more general than are individual types of charge carriers (e.g., electrons and ions).
The motion of electrons in a cathode-ray vacuum tube is a very easy type of current to understand:  solid-state physics is more complex.
Changing the definition of the polarity of charge to make electrons positive would require re-labeling every voltmeter in the world, to no good purpose.

Offline SteveThackery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2024, 04:28:39 pm »
The "direction" of current was defined as flowing from positive to negative at a time before electrons were discovered. When they were discovered, it was found that they flow from negative to positive. Rather than redefine the "direction" of current - which would have had numerous knock-on effects - they just shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh, well, let's call it "conventional" current that flows from positive to negative."

It almost never matters unless you are designing a new semiconductor, or a device to perform electrolysis, which way the electrons flow. You can safely use conventional current in your electronic circuit designs and calculations.

The following users thanked this post: BrokenYugo

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2024, 04:37:30 pm »
Current and charge are concepts that are more general
Holes are abstraction, not generalization.

You can fire an electron through a vacuum, you can't a hole ... it generally doesn't exist.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2024, 04:41:00 pm »
The "direction" of current was defined as flowing from positive to negative at a time before electrons were discovered.
Thought experiment: would electronics be any different today, if the direction was correctly in the first place? Would we be using negative voltages for single supply circuits?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2024, 05:32:52 pm »
Energy flows, it has power and it can do work.

When energy hits antenna it create disturbances, it force electrons to move away from their comfort zone.
That creates a chain effect and what?

Electron that was in old place is now in new place, generally.
If old place is without a new electron there is a positive imbalance, generally.
New place then has a negative imbalance, generally.

It's much easier to talk without a constant minus sign.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2024, 05:39:59 pm »
Seems like this was a drive-by thread-bombing, and everyone took the bait?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2024, 05:48:28 pm »
Used energy is still pretty low.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2024, 06:28:42 pm »
Obligatory XKCD
https://xkcd.com/567/
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline JeffL1Topic starter

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2024, 06:30:18 pm »
"drive-by thread-bombing" is a new term for me.  I wasn't doing that.  Thinking in terms of water current, I can't understand how water can move in one direction, but the current flows in the opposite direction.  Just doesn't make sense.

Offline PGPG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2024, 06:59:57 pm »
Thought experiment: would electronics be any different today, if the direction was correctly in the first place? Would we be using negative voltages for single supply circuits?

But it was.
When I started to learn electronic (when I was 10) the only transistors I could have were germanium pnp. The first transistor radio receiver I was building had + as GND and -9V as single supply. All circuits those time were using negative single supply. First silicon npn I had in my hands was BF520 bought by my friend's mom to darkroom clock I was building for him and couldn't get enough time stability using germanium pnp transistors. This transistor was very expensive. Real value for us was like $100 now. I had to learn reverse electronic when moving from germanium pnp to silicon npn.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 07:01:35 pm by PGPG »

Offline thephil

• Regular Contributor
    • Techbotch
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2024, 07:02:45 pm »
As others pointed out, current was defined well before we knew about electrons so things seem to be backwards.

But that's OK – electrons are not the only way to carry charge around. they just happen to be the thing that flows through the wires we like to use. Current is just "something carrying charge is moving in some direction." – If something is positively charged things are aligned. If something is negatively charged, like electrons,  things seem to be backwards. Just think of technical current as "positive charge moving in that direction" and then, obviously, negative things moving in the opposite direction amount to the same thing.
It's never too late for a happy childhood!

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Online artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2024, 07:08:20 pm »
It's not so much that current was defined as wrong, but positive and negative. The direction and charge of a current-carrying electron are consistent, but if + and - had been give as names to the opposite battery terminals it would all have made sense, with electrons positively-charged and carrying current from + to -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf