Author Topic: Two-cell Charging  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Tin Duc VoTopic starter

• Contributor
Two-cell Charging
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »
Does anyone know if it's okay to just charge both cells instead of balance charging? I don't know how to look up a two-cell balance charging IC for my 7.4V pack. I want to charge in circuit and it's just an rc battery. I can tap the 3 points for charging.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
Re: Two-cell Charging
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Does anyone know if it's okay to just charge both cells instead of balance charging? I don't know how to look up a two-cell balance charging IC for my 7.4V pack. I want to charge in circuit and it's just an rc battery. I can tap the 3 points for charging.

Using a so called 'balanced charger' will actively ensure that the two cells are equalized as well as charged charged up. Commercially built and sold 2-cell li batteries are made with cells closely matched to try and keep them close to being matched over their life even if not using a 'balanced charger', however it would be good for you to check periodically that the mid cell tap voltage is at 50% of the two cell output voltage.

For high performance, high current discharge packs I would say using a proper balance charger is a requirement for best results, safety, pack lifespan, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf