Author Topic: Can This 240v Welder Run Off My Dryer Outlet  (Read 5743 times)

Offline electromateriaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can This 240v Welder Run Off My Dryer Outlet
« on: December 12, 2020, 04:41:28 am »
Here's some pics of the welder: https://imgur.com/a/HIOvfRB

My dryer outlet is a NEMA 14-30R. That's only 30 amps and my welder has "48 primary amps".. so, I can't use that outlet right?

Can I get an electrician to tap into that line and set me up with 240v / 50 amps?

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
Re: Can This 240v Welder Run Off My Dryer Outlet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 05:02:25 am »
do you need the drier?  If not, check the wire gauge from the box to the outlet and see if that can handle the current.  If the wire can handle the current then change the outlet and breaker if you dont need the drier.  If the drier wire can't handle the current then you have to pull a new wire, outlet and breaker.  If you can get to the box and it isn't overloaded you should just pull a new wire, breaker and outlet.  You can also put a sub box maybe in your garage depending where your service comes into the house and if code allows it.  Doing something against code could invalidate your fire insurance.

I run a Thermalarc Prowave TIG 175 off my drier line and then moved it to my Jacuzzi line but both have very large cables. That will do 200 amps welding.  I think it was only 40amps at 220V but can't remember.  My TIG was an inverter so it was pretty efficient.

The following users thanked this post: electromateria

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 05:37:44 am »
I run a welder from my dryer outlet occasionally using an extension cord I made. If the welder draws 48A then you won't be able to run it at its highest setting but you can still use it. If you dial it up too high the breaker will trip, it isn't a big deal.

Offline electromateriaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 06:16:14 am »
Thanks for the help and advice guys :D

I found this adapter cord: https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Welding-Charger-Connector-Connecter/dp/B07M86BTZK/

One thing that's confusing to me is that it says "30 Amp 4 Prong Male Plug to 50 Amp 3 Prong Female Receptacle".. so the adapter is stepping it up from 30 to 50 amps? That doesn't seem right. It also says "240V 30 Amp, not exceed 30 Amp".

I do still need the dryer but it only gets used occasionally so I'll just pull the plug and swap over to adapter / welder when I need to. Next spring I'm getting 240v wired to my shack but until then I'm stuck using the dryer outlet I think  ;)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 06:47:58 am »
I run a welder from my dryer outlet occasionally using an extension cord I made. If the welder draws 48A then you won't be able to run it at its highest setting but you can still use it. If you dial it up too high the breaker will trip, it isn't a big deal.

Don't do that, it stresses the sytem. The breaker may eventually trip on the thermal cutout (too low for the magnetic), but depending on it's trip curve it could simmer awhile possibly causing damage overtime from repeated abuse, and that's how breakers end up on a Big Clive autopsy.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 08:13:29 am »
If it draws 48A, then it is going to need a 60A breaker and outlet. Loads are generally sized to 80% the breaker capacity, and 80% of 60 is 48. If it was a 50A outlet, I'd say maybe just don't turn it up all the way, but only having half the ampacity it would normally require is definitely asking for trouble.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:00:33 am »
Here's some pics of the welder: https://imgur.com/a/HIOvfRB

My dryer outlet is a NEMA 14-30R. That's only 30 amps and my welder has "48 primary amps".. so, I can't use that outlet right?

Can I get an electrician to tap into that line and set me up with 240v / 50 amps?
That's 48A at full output current right ?
Will you need full output and as you have roughly 2/3 of the supply rating just be sure you don't use the welder at full tit.
Of course it will run it for lighter work.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline tonyh88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 05:16:06 pm »
depends if you want to do this by the book or not.... As other have said it would work if you don't use it on max setting.

To use the full 48A you would need a circuit with wire gauge, breaker and outlet that are correctly sized for more than 48A( i.e not the dryer circuit)

Just be sure if you do something like that it is clearly identified and that no one will use this on full power on that outlet so nothing catches on fire. Of course the dryer circuit and breaker can handle this slight overload for some time but it is not meant for that kind of use and will heat up.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:28 pm »
Don't do that, it stresses the sytem. The breaker may eventually trip on the thermal cutout (too low for the magnetic), but depending on it's trip curve it could simmer awhile possibly causing damage overtime from repeated abuse, and that's how breakers end up on a Big Clive autopsy.

I've been doing it for 15 years. In that time I've tripped the breaker maybe 2 or 3 times, once I figured out how high I could go while keeping the input current under 30A I just don't dial it up beyond that point. It's not like I'm welding 2" thick armor plating all day long. Usually it's a just a quick repair or fabrication, I spend more time setting things up than I do running a bead. It goes without saying that you should not continuously overload a breaker.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 07:26:22 pm »
Thanks for the help and advice guys :D

I found this adapter cord: https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Welding-Charger-Connector-Connecter/dp/B07M86BTZK/

One thing that's confusing to me is that it says "30 Amp 4 Prong Male Plug to 50 Amp 3 Prong Female Receptacle".. so the adapter is stepping it up from 30 to 50 amps? That doesn't seem right. It also says "240V 30 Amp, not exceed 30 Amp".

I do still need the dryer but it only gets used occasionally so I'll just pull the plug and swap over to adapter / welder when I need to. Next spring I'm getting 240v wired to my shack but until then I'm stuck using the dryer outlet I think  ;)

No, it's adapting from a plug rated at 30A to a plug that is rated for 50A, but you are still obviously limited to 30A because the 30A plug is the lowest rated link in the chain. It is very common for equipment to have plugs rated for more current than the device draws and that adapter is to allow you to plug in something that has a 50A plug into a 30A socket provided that it does not actually draw more than 30A. The regular outlets around your house are 15A rated, as are the plugs that plug into them, but most of the things you plug in don't draw anywhere near that and the cords would melt if they did.

In the case of a welder, the current it draws is proportional to the current that it's putting out. If you have a 200A arc welder it might draw 50A from the wall if you're running it balls out pushing 200A into a weld on a big hunk of steel, but if you dial it down to 40A to weld something lighter then it will draw considerably less from the wall. For a while I even had a little welder that could run on either 120V or 240V and it had a red mark on the dial that you couldn't go past on 120V or it would draw more than 15A from the socket.

The following users thanked this post: Larryc001, electromateria

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf