Author Topic: Buying A Power Analyzer Meter  (Read 9748 times)

Offline Ben YisraelTopic starter

Buying A Power Analyzer Meter
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:27:50 pm »
Hello Everyone and Shalom !

Sorry if I'm wordy, this is my first 'chat'

I am trying to start a "Green Energy" (read that 'save you power bill money') type company. I am a builder by trade, and my dad worked in Electronic Design & Repair, so I know a little about Energy and Power -- but not much.

I formed a co-op with an Electrician, HVAC Contractor and Electrical Engineering guy from the local Community College, so please see I am serious about my new Business direction.

We sell Power Factor Correction capacitance type products, along with TVSS protection, and Energy Efficient Lighting (Elec ballast Flourescent, LED, etc)..

SO here's the question : I have a True RMS Power Analyzing Clamp meter from Extech (around $ 650.oo)
After I started using it to get kVar readings, I see why they make multiple lead Data Logging meters, but they cost from $ 2100 (Extech) up to $ 5000 (Fluke, Amprobe, etc).

I found a Uni-Trend Power Analyzer (with comp interface) for around $ 200.oo which seemed too good to be true. So I searched for reviews and that is how I found this site.

It seemed Dave liked Unit-Trend in his EEVBlog # 99 " $100 MultiMeter Shootout"

Here is the address for the tool, could someone comment on what they think about this, Please

Unitrend Meter : http://www.uni-trend.com/UT233.html

Thanx Again  :  Grace and Shalom to You All

Ben Yisrael

alm

Re: Buying A Power Analyzer Meter
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »
I would be wary about 'too good to be true' products, in my experience, there's often a catch.

I'm not into power electronics (my world is mostly <1A and <50V), but here are my two cents:

- Can't find anything about bandwidth of the true RMS converter (only about the range of the frequency counter), this might be really bad, barely above 60Hz. Not sure how much you need, a few kHz probably wouldn't hurt for things with weird waveforms like a switching power supply. True RMS is useless if it doesn't have enough bandwidth to sample the waveform.
- Make sure to flip through the manual to see if it does everything you want. For example, it looks like you can either determine the minimum of maximum, not the min/max/average that many multimeters have.
- Make sure the software does what it should and works under recent and 64-bit Windows versions (it sucks to have to replace tools because you bought a new computer).
- 600V CAT III / 300V CAT IV is not great in my opinion. Even a residential distribution panel is often 400V CAT III (assuming your mains in 230V). If distance between the distribution panel and power entry point is less than 15m or so, it's even 400V CAT IV.
- My impression of Uni-T that's it's usually big on features but built down to a price, I think this was also Dave's conclusion from the $100 DMM shootout. Not a professional tool in my opinion, at least the $100 stuff. But they haven't sent me anything for free yet, so it's purely based on what I've seen and read on the internet.

I'm sure Kiriakos will chime in to explain that Uni-T is the best since sliced bread and is much more EMI resistant than those expensive Flukes ;).

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:06 pm »
Clamp type might not be the best if you want to measure small powers, say less than 10 watts. Can't really comment on UNI-T, but I recently bought Gossen Metrawatt metrahit energy, a logging DMM with power and energy measurement functions with a power measurement adapter (makes it easy to measure the power consumption of mains pluggable devices) and the IR cable for computer connection. Otherwise it is quite nice DMM for general electronics use, although quite pricey. Of course, it measures true/reactive/apparent power and energy, also with non-linear loads. What I like the power and energy function, the power/energy function is usable to quite small DC powers too:

(the power of 1 M? resistor connected to 3.3 volt DC supply)

OK, I'll stop here, maybe I should write more thorough "review" about the meter to the review section :) (And yes, it passes the "GSM immunity test", but with suffered accuracy during the exposure)

Regards,
Janne
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:10:45 pm by jahonen »

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:57 pm »

For clarity sake, I measure mostly (90%) 240/480 v 3 phase motors in Commercial / Industrial settings.

Most motors are 5 hp up - majority are 10 and above

hanx

Ben Yisrael

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »

I'm sure Kiriakos will chime in to explain that Uni-T is the best since sliced bread and is much more EMI resistant than those expensive Flukes ;).

I can not do that any more , the bribe ( yellow black ) was generous ..  :D  :D  :D
Better than the 87-5  ;)

alm

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
For clarity sake, I measure mostly (90%) 240/480 v 3 phase motors in Commercial / Industrial settings.
Then you're likely to encounter plenty of CAT IV circuits, something rated for CAT IV 600V would probably be more appropriate.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »

that Metrahit is damned sexy! poorly i cannot get in ebay search, where did you get it?

How about the mother country !!   http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Metrahit&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:13:45 pm »
You just have to love European pricing...

Made in Germany, costs 80% more in Germany than in USA.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:24:40 pm »
You just have to love European pricing...

Made in Germany, costs 80% more in Germany than in USA.

Prove it !! 

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »
About the meter, does anyone have advice on ANY Power Analyzer Meters below the $ 2100 Extech 382090

Thanx

.Ben Yisrael

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »

well... the description talks nonsense! :D

Well if you wish to get such opportunity's , you should start thinking to become more multilingual ,
or start to use the damn web translators  ..     :D  :D  :D

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:57:37 pm »
About Power Analyzer Meters ..

You can not get what ever you like so ...
You will seek documentation from your state , so to learn the list of the approved ones ..

By this list at hand , you will select among them, the one that you like most .. 

And that's it .

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »
About Power Analyzer Meters ..

You can not get what ever you like so ...
You will seek documentation from your state , so to learn the list of the approved ones ..

By this list at hand , you will select among them, the one that you like most .. 

And that's it .

There is No "Documentation from the State" and no "List of Approved Meters" ...

I just found the TES Electrical Electronic Corp website, and by the pictures and descriptions, these are the guys in Taiwan who manufacture for Extech Corp, any body ever bought from them ?

http://tes.com.tw/kwe.htm

Thanx

.Ben Yisrael

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:04:41 am »
Shalom! I honestly don't think an analyzer is the first thing you need to sell your product. If you have a customer who pays a power factor penalty in their bill and the PF rating on the motor nameplate is lower than 0.98 and there are no power factor correcting capacitors installed already, capacitors will be an easy sell. The PF rating on the motor will tell you how much electricity is being paid for needlessly and, together with the rest of the information on the nameplate, what size capacitors you'll need. Once you get things going, you can invest in better equipment.

Mazel tov!
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:38 am »
Shalom Chaver

Thank You

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf