Author Topic: Budget Handheld Scope  (Read 2382 times)

Offline HighMansTopic starter

• Contributor
Budget Handheld Scope
« on: October 27, 2019, 03:17:32 pm »
Hello all! What're y'all's recommendations for a cheap handheld scope? All I'm looking for is for something super basic that can plot voltage over time -- I'm mainly going to be using for diagnostics and repairing of electronics, I don't need any of the bells and whistles.

Offline tunk

• Super Contributor

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Budget Handheld Scope
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 05:39:25 pm »
It would be helpful if you could clarify your budget - peoples ideas of budget vary widely.

Also, any particular reason that it needs to be handheld?
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
"Diagnosing and repairing electronics" is a very broad topic, are you interested in working on low frequency things like audio gear and automotive electrical systems or are you working on microwave RF devices, or something in between?

As others have said, "budget" can vary widely, to some a $5k instrument would be considered low cost, to others that is high end and out of their reach.

The handheld requirement certainly limits the available options.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 05:53:12 pm »
It would be helpful if you could clarify your budget - peoples ideas of budget vary widely.

Also, any particular reason that it needs to be handheld?

50-100$, I'm working with cars so having a large scope would be a bit unwieldy -- but it's not too big a deal.

"Diagnosing and repairing electronics" is a very broad topic, are you interested in working on low frequency things like audio gear and automotive electrical systems or are you working on microwave RF devices, or something in between?

As others have said, "budget" can vary widely, to some a $5k instrument would be considered low cost, to others that is high end and out of their reach.

The handheld requirement certainly limits the available options.

I'm working with automotive electrical systems, laptops, consumer electronics, stuff like that.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:05:52 pm »
Automotive is typically going to be low frequency stuff, at least if you're looking at things like crank/cam/distributor position sensors, injector pulses, etc. I don't think I have ever used a scope while working on a laptop, the signals in modern computers tend to be well up into the GHz and lots of differential signalling, it's the sort of thing requiring exotic and very expensive instruments to measure.

$100 is going to limit you to what is effectively a toy, although one of the little Chinese pocket scope gadgets might be useful for the sort of automotive sensor signals I mentioned above. Looking at sold items on ebay it looks like you can occasionally find one of the older Fluke Scopemeter handhelds for under $300, other options are the inexpensive hobbyist aimed scopes like the popular Rigol and Siglent models  which while not handheld are quite compact, you're looking at close to $400 for those though.

Oscilloscopes are and always have been expensive instruments, and while they are an order of magnitude cheaper today than they were 30 years ago they are still not exactly cheap. It's one of those things where you can pick any two characteristics, useful, cheap, compact, can't have all three.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 10:38:18 pm »
I really wish I had 200-300$ to spend on a scope, but alas.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »
Hantek makes an automotive scope for a little over $100 USD.  Hantek and Owon make USB scopes around that same price point.  You will need a laptop but that might be an option.  You don't have your country flag but I am guessing by the use of y'all, you are here in the states?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »
Agreed, USB might be the way to go in order to meet reasonable specs (and dual channel) at the sub $100 level.

In addition the the Hantek (or preferably) the Owon, Pico Technology also does a range of standard and automotive USB scopes, you are likely to run out budget pretty quickly on the Picos though...  https://www.picotech.com/ (particularly if you are in the US)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:46:19 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf