Author Topic: Beginner to BGA  (Read 983 times)

Offline taoybbTopic starter

Beginner to BGA
« on: September 22, 2024, 05:34:19 am »
Hi, I got fews question about working with BGA IC.

1) As I try search in this forum, I got a mixed signal from BGA being hard and some said it's easier than QFN. Why some said it's easier than QFN?

2) I already got a decent soldering iron and hot air but lack of BGA rework station, option on BGA station for home use is quite limited here (except go with extra hiend model which is beyond I can afford). I don't do repair work but only prototyping DIY stuff and BGA would be only small chip (below 20*20mm) and only once or few times a year. I have my eyes on Yihua/Gordak 853A, is this option is adequate? Or should I go with Yihua 853AA (two 'A' instead of one). I also interest in Yihua 1000b but it seem to be overkill for my hobby(?).

Thank you in advance  :)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Beginner to BGA
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2024, 05:55:13 am »
Unless you have a huge BGA, or a PCB with a huge amount of copper, all you should need to solder a BGA is a hot air rework tool.  It requires some skills, but its no harder than anything else.

The downside is, if you make a mistake, you then need to reball the BGA chip before you try again, which also requires some skill and a stencil + solder paste or solar balls.

BGA isnt hard, just higher consequences of screwing it up and needing to spend time reballing it.
Or you can just accept the cost of a wasted IC and get a new one.

Screwing up a QFP/QFN usually just means you bridged some pads and need to grab the solder wick, which only takes a few seconds to fix. Perhaps worst case with QFN/DFN you just have to lift the part up re-tin the pads and put it back down.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 05:58:14 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2024, 06:30:45 am »
Unless you have a huge BGA, or a PCB with a huge amount of copper, all you should need to solder a BGA is a hot air rework tool.  It requires some skills, but its no harder than anything else.

That is the problem. Skills. Only when you have mastered it, it is not harder than anything else.

The downside is, if you make a mistake, you then need to reball the BGA chip before you try again, which also requires some skill and a stencil + solder paste or solar balls.

BGA isnt hard, just higher consequences of screwing it up and needing to spend time reballing it.

Also skills are needed for this. It is what keeps me and for instance Nominal Animal away from BGA's. Only worth it if you plan on using a lot of BGA's for your projects.

Screwing up a QFP/QFN usually just means you bridged some pads and need to grab the solder wick, which only takes a few seconds to fix. Perhaps worst case with QFN/DFN you just have to lift the part up re-tin the pads and put it back down.

Worst case is overheating the IC and killing it. That is why I prefer my IC's to have legs that I can solder with drag soldering. Risk of overheating is lower. Another issue with having to lift a part of is the risk of damaging the pads and tracks.

If one has plans for assembling PCB's more often, in my opinion, a hot plate or even a reflow oven is a good investment.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 07:11:36 am »
How to you verify that all the pads are soldered well?

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2024, 08:07:24 am »

Thanks you for your reply, I got high success rate to reflow QFN and wonder how will it be with BGA. As mentioned, my PCB is small 100*80mm but a lot of copper in it (8 layers) may be station is good to have?

I do have a cheap hot plate but my board is required to got a lot of underneath capacitor for main chip, hot plate might not good for this task.. I guess.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2024, 08:22:05 am »

That is the problem. Skills. Only when you have mastered it, it is not harder than anything else.

Also skills are needed for this. It is what keeps me and for instance Nominal Animal away from BGA's. Only worth it if you plan on using a lot of BGA's for your projects.

Worst case is overheating the IC and killing it. That is why I prefer my IC's to have legs that I can solder with drag soldering. Risk of overheating is lower. Another issue with having to lift a part of is the risk of damaging the pads and tracks.

If one has plans for assembling PCB's more often, in my opinion, a hot plate or even a reflow oven is a good investment.

Thanks you for your reply, Oven is interesting but maybe not since it's all hobby. I do own a hot plate but mine not work very well with two sided component placement.

The only thing that drag me to this point is my short temper about "What if I try to design my own SBC??" then here I am  |O  What a worst decision but I have to finish what I started and well may be it will be my new skill, I guess.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2024, 08:22:39 am »

No so sure too, Xray thing is way too expensive.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2024, 03:48:28 pm »

Power the board up. If it works the solder job is properly done. If it fails, well, then I guess you are up shit creek.  :-DD

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2024, 04:28:04 pm »
Power the board up. If it works the solder job is properly done. If it fails, well, then I guess you are up shit creek.  :-DD

We need transparent PCBs and ICs. ;-)

That's the reason I avoid BGAs. I wonder what those small repair shops that replace BGAs do.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2024, 04:45:26 pm »
That's the reason I avoid BGAs. I wonder what those small repair shops that replace BGAs do.

Replace it and pray that it will work. With small-ish chips it is usually not a big problem and you can always rework the part if needed.

Trying to solder something the size of a modern GPU without having an x-ray on hand to inspect it is foolish.

The following users thanked this post: quince

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2024, 11:55:14 pm »
Worst case is overheating the IC and killing it.

True, but I've never killed an IC with heat from hot air rework in all my 25 years working with SMT parts.
Or, if i have, it's so rare that i don't remember it or i attributed the failure to some other reason.
So it's pretty much a non-issue.

Sometimes small parts like SOT-723 fall part and a leg cracks off. But that's more of a mechanical failure from being a bit too aggressive with the tweezers while the plastic is soft from heat. Not really a heat based failure.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 11:59:51 pm by Psi »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2024, 05:27:51 am »

True, but I've never killed an IC with heat from hot air rework in all my 25 years working with SMT parts.
Or, if i have, it's so rare that i don't remember it or i attributed the failure to some other reason.

For you it is a non issue, but for others it can be an issue.

Because my first attempt with QFN (F1C100s) failed that way. Also damaged one pad in the process. It probably is a careful balance between the temperature, type of solder and flux, duration of the heating, impatience when removing the faulty part first and with it rip of pads.

For the designs I make as a hobbyist, I try to stick to parts I know I can handle.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2024, 07:24:08 am »
As an exercise one can start with leadless packages.
Some days ago i managed to solder L12 3x4 DFN packages with a heatgun. Process was similar: Wetting PCB pads and package pads with solder ("balls"), adding some flux and then solder with heatgun (Yihua 959 D II) at 270 °C max. It required a minute or so to reflow the solder. I worked under the stereo microscope watching how the IC fell into place.
Those are ISL85415 switchers with a bottom heat transfer pad ("EPAD") and i managed to solder two of them without creating shorts.
One day i will try a BGA package. Until now our PCBs with BGA MCUs were made by a service provider. They charged about € 5000 for a 25x test run.

Regards, Dieter
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 04:32:08 pm by dietert1 »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2024, 07:55:48 am »

For you it is a non issue, but for others it can be an issue.

Because my first attempt with QFN (F1C100s) failed that way. Also damaged one pad in the process. It probably is a careful balance between the temperature, type of solder and flux, duration of the heating, impatience when removing the faulty part first and with it rip of pads.

For the designs I make as a hobbyist, I try to stick to parts I know I can handle.

Of course. Everyone destroys parts in many different ways when first learning how to solder them. That won't change, it's how we learn.

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2024, 03:26:45 pm »
Because my first attempt with QFN (F1C100s) failed that way...

For QFN packages, I just make one big hole in the PCB. Easy to solder and easy to inspect.  The picture below is after soldering the top pads and before soldering the bottom big ground tab.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2024, 10:41:48 pm »
Because my first attempt with QFN (F1C100s) failed that way...

For QFN packages, I just make one big hole in the PCB. Easy to solder and easy to inspect.  The picture below is after soldering the top pads and before soldering the bottom big ground tab.
That quote is fake. Please correct the confusion.

Offline leham

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2024, 01:45:51 am »
I'd like to add from personal experience, that techniques can change for BGA when you get down to the small ones (mobile phones and laptops).
Stuff like the surface tension of your flux and air turbulence can cause issues, if you are someone that likes to learn from the deep end, starting there helps a lot.
Thats how I learnt 

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2024, 05:05:29 pm »

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2024, 06:32:52 pm »
https://youtube.com/shorts/6_NE8_7E-Fs?si=qH01nkB1BycEhBB4

If only it was that easy. Maybe with a lot of experience or a pre heater is being used underneath the PCB, or the footage is sped up. There are a lot of these kind of youtube videos and from my personal experience with desoldering/soldering quad pin ic's is that it is not that quick and easy.

Offline dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm »
https://youtube.com/shorts/6_NE8_7E-Fs?si=qH01nkB1BycEhBB4

If only it was that easy. Maybe with a lot of experience or a pre heater is being used underneath the PCB, or the footage is sped up. There are a lot of these kind of youtube videos and from my personal experience with desoldering/soldering quad pin ic's is that it is not that quick and easy.

Yes, that footage is a time-lapse and the person is a professional. Anyway it demonstrates the elegance of using a heat-gun and the steps of that work, like protecting a nearby electrolytic cap from heat and the usage of "ingredients". Psychology says it helps to see something being done successfully.
For me that happened yesterday. Only after watching a youtube-video about the Qualia ESP32 S3 driving a HD458002C40 TFT i got my own STM32H730 graphics card drive that TFT correctly.

Regards, Dieter

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:31:29 am »
He appears to be using more than 1 'Paul' of flux.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:51:18 am »
He appears to be using more than 1 'Paul' of flux.

Yeah, and using the copper mesh to remove solder the way he does, you best make sure it is well heated al the time while lifting. Otherwise a good recipe for lifting pads and tracks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf