Author Topic: Beginner Oscilloscope Choice Advice? (+ Testing tips?)  (Read 7323 times)

Offline thejoggingmatTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Beginner Oscilloscope Choice Advice? (+ Testing tips?)
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:39 am »
Hi, I am in the market for an oscilloscope (my first). Looking through, the DS1052E/1054Z seems to be a no-brainer, but...

It will set me back S$500-600++!

Rummaging through the alternatives,

The siglent has a sore lack of reviews/info on EEVBlog, and a Google search led to nothing credible as well.

As for the used market, (local sellers) the scopes seem much much cheaper and it tempts me (all from evilBay storefronts for local companies):

The Fluke-Philips' similar models seem quite popular, and the Tek TAS seemed really really popular. The Tek TDS, however, didn't appear so.
The 2 analog ones seem to be similar in spec.

I am hoping my budget to be within S$250-S$300. Which one do you think is the best fit for a beginner?

Additionally, other than bringing my own probes to look at the scope's test point & self-test, what else should I look out for before committing to buy a used scope?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:20:13 am by thejoggingmat »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: Beginner Oscilloscope Choice Advice? (+ Testing tips?)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:56 am »
Get ready for about 3-4 out of 5 people (if not 5 out of 5) to tell you to spend the extra $ and go with the Rigol DS1054Z if your budget will allow it.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:11 am »
Get ready for about 3-4 out of 5 people (if not 5 out of 5) to tell you to spend the extra $ and go with the Rigol DS1054Z if your budget will allow it.
first...

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:53 am »
Yup, as predicted, spend the extra money and get the DS1054Z and hack it. It really is the best nag for the buck and much better than the old scopes listed.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:28 am »
I guess I'm 3rd Rigol DS1054Z. The waveform update rate makes it a daily driver

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:44 am »
I guess I'm 3rd Rigol DS1054Z. The waveform update rate makes it a daily driver

Yup, as predicted, spend the extra money and get the DS1054Z and hack it. It really is the best nag for the buck and much better than the old scopes listed.
first...

Wow... Didn't realise the 1054z is that popular...

But pricing aside, throwing in $600+ on an unknown chinese/overseas seller is a tad worrying. I could buy it from Dave's store/Amazon, but freight forwarding has its problems. And a local distributor is selling the 1054 'new' at S$1200.

Unless I really really have the money and can find a universally trusted seller like 99centHobbies, I can only KIV it very seriously.
In the meantime, for argument's sake, is the Fluke/Philips or the Tek TAS better?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
Yep, DS1054Z is no-brainer. I wouldn't buy DS1052E unless used, in very good condition and cheap i.e. about half the price of a new unit at most.

Skip these bottom line Siglent, Atten, Uni-T etc., they're terrible.

Analog as a general purpose scope for a beginner in 2015: don't bother unless you can get one close to free, the same with ancient Tek TDS210.

Getting anything *close* to free is practically impossible in Singapore, more so for analog scopes. Rag-and-bone men sell the good ones to recycling companies, and peddle the rest in the flea market for >$100.

Are there any good & trusted sellers that ship/sell the 1054 affordably to Singapore?

Offline Mephitus

• Regular Contributor
  • Dashing, no?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:27:46 pm »
I believe that http://www.tequipment.net/ can ship to Singapore (someone please correct me if wrong). I think they also have a special discount for EEVBlog forum members if you message tyguy2 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=109014
A true gentleman must be prepared for anything. - Pepe le' Pew

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »
What do people think about the Instek GDS-1054B or around $385 ? http://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GDS-1054B/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?OrderItemId=2906799
Seems to have better specs than the Rigol (on-paper at least) with 50k update rate & 10M / ch memory depth.
What's the catch ?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
I find it hard to believe that buying in the US for someone living in Singapore would be cheaper than buying from China or Hong Kong.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
I believe that http://www.tequipment.net/ can ship to Singapore (someone please correct me if wrong). I think they also have a special discount for EEVBlog forum members if you message tyguy2 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=109014
I find it hard to believe that buying in the US for someone living in Singapore would be cheaper than buying from China or Hong Kong.

Unfortunately for me, you are completely right on this.

For the cost of shipping alone, I could probably use it for something much better like a nice little Fluke or used Keithley or something. Just anything but on UPS/Fedex.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:59:51 pm by thejoggingmat »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:12 pm »
What do people think about the Instek GDS-1054B or around $385 ? http://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GDS-1054B/Digital-Oscilloscopes/?OrderItemId=2906799
Seems to have better specs than the Rigol (on-paper at least) with 50k update rate & 10M / ch memory depth.
What's the catch ?

I've seen analog GWs in the local flea market before. Can't believe they would peddle those probably spoilt ones for >S$100.
Other than that, there is really not much info on GW at all. My gut doesn't go really well with the brand/model though; it's just one of those things that does not seem to instill confidence on first brief glance. Not that I'm not open to anything though.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:13:11 am »
What's the catch ?

I've seen analog GWs in the local flea market before. Can't believe they would peddle those probably spoilt ones for >S$100.
Other than that, there is really not much info on GW at all. My gut doesn't go really well with the brand/model though; it's just one of those things that does not seem to instill confidence on first brief glance. Not that I'm not open to anything though.

Oh, and I just realised the Rigol is actually slightly cheaper.

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:30:19 am »
How is it slightly cheaper ? (PS The EEVBlog discount applies to both).
And if anyone has any opinion on this vs the Rigol please do tell, one disadvantage I see is that it has a 7ns rise time vs 4ns on the Rigol.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 12:39:08 am »

Unfortunately for me, you are completely right on this.

For the cost of shipping alone, I could probably use it for something much better like a nice little Fluke or used Keithley or something. Just anything but on UPS/Fedex.

A couple thoughts:  1) it says worldwide expedited; generally the faster you have something shipped the more expensive it costs; it's worth seeing if there is a slower less expensive shipping alternative.  The key thing is that it is trackable and insured.  2) It might be worth contacting Rigol directly to see if they have a distributor who is set up in Singapore or the region to serve Singapore; kind of hard to believe that Rigol wouldn't have good market coverage in Singapore.

Update:  using the shopping cart at tequipment.net shows some less expensive alternatives - not sure if they are trackable and insured but if so the overall cost just went down about $125 and you can save another $24 or so with the EEV discount.  And this should be worst case - it seems likely there is a seller closer to you.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:48:35 am by Electro Fan »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 02:08:11 am »

A couple thoughts:  1) it says worldwide expedited; generally the faster you have something shipped the more expensive it costs; it's worth seeing if there is a slower less expensive shipping alternative.  The key thing is that it is trackable and insured.  2) It might be worth contacting Rigol directly to see if they have a distributor who is set up in Singapore or the region to serve Singapore; kind of hard to believe that Rigol wouldn't have good market coverage in Singapore.

Update:  using the shopping cart at tequipment.net shows some less expensive alternatives - not sure if they are trackable and insured but if so the overall cost just went down about $125 and you can save another $24 or so with the EEV discount.  And this should be worst case - it seems likely there is a seller closer to you.

The sole distributor (I've just double checked) quoted me S$1200 before 7% tax. There really isn't a demand for Rigols at all here. Case in point: My old classmate from high school who's studying EE tells me Agilent Keysight scopes are the 'preferred choice' and to obligatory purchase & use.

Couple grand a piece for a DSO1xxxx series (can't remember the model).

The 'express mail' uses EMS once it reaches Singapore based on past experience. Which means the local mail provider (like USPS is to USA) fulfils the shipment when it reaches Singapore. My scope will most likely be dented & dinged, and the packaging will have holes from all the manhandling.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 02:21:59 am »
How is it slightly cheaper ? (PS The EEVBlog discount applies to both).
And if anyone has any opinion on this vs the Rigol please do tell, one disadvantage I see is that it has a 7ns rise time vs 4ns on the Rigol.

My bad, forgot to factor in the discount.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 04:09:32 am »

The sole distributor (I've just double checked) quoted me S$1200 before 7% tax. There really isn't a demand for Rigols at all here. Case in point: My old classmate from high school who's studying EE tells me Agilent Keysight scopes are the 'preferred choice' and to obligatory purchase & use.

Couple grand a piece for a DSO1xxxx series (can't remember the model).

The 'express mail' uses EMS once it reaches Singapore based on past experience. Which means the local mail provider (like USPS is to USA) fulfils the shipment when it reaches Singapore. My scope will most likely be dented & dinged, and the packaging will have holes from all the manhandling.

Dear young friend,
                               EEvblog and local people have bought stuffs from China and Hong Kong.The packages have arrived without much damage.You seem to be somewhat negative and suspicious...haha. If that's the case then there are indeed local brick and mortar shops that sell test equipment for reasonable prices taking into account the cost of doing business here.

Coming back to scopes proper Rigol 1054Z is 50Mhz. 4 channel scope.Since you don't trust overseas' shipping do you really need 4 channels at this point in time? FYI you can get 100Mhz. 2 channels DSO
locally for Sg$800. Cheaper than the quoted local Rigol. Take your pic Siglent,Hantek,Owon,GW,Unitrend (UT) among others.

And for a "low" price of Sg$380 You can buy a 25Mhz. 500Msamoles Siglent. That's if you want a brand new DSO. For used analog scopes that's another discussion at your prefered budget. Let me know and I can take you around the shops so You can see for yourself.Do your research properly first.Not all DSO are made equal. ;)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 05:28:52 am »

Yup, this.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:43 am »
My advice

Make sure what you get has a warranty.  Most will not if they cross a border, I learned this the hard way.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf