Author Topic: Hi everyone, does a wall outlet plate need to comply with UL514D?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline principleoTopic starter

Hi I am developing a product that includes a modified wall outlet faceplate. Upon research, I realized there's a standard called UL514D that sets safety standards for wall sockets, but I don't know if it applies to the wallplate as well (i.e. if I want to sell to big boxes like Home Depot. would they accept something without this standard)
I am technically not an electronics professional but is interested in EE, I'm here to learn. Iif anybody knows relating knowledge and can share it with me I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks!

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: Hi everyone, does a wall outlet plate need to comply with UL514D?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:19:45 pm »
This standard applies to metallic and nonmetallic cover plates and associated gaskets for flush-mounted wiring devices intended for installation in accordance with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70, and the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, CSA C22.1, General Requirements – Canadian Electrical Code, Part II, CSA C22.2 No. 0-10 .

1.2 This standard also applies to outlet box hoods that are either integral or not integral with a cover plate for flush-mounted wiring devices.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 11:20:12 pm »
Go buy a cover plate, in a package, and see if there is a UL stamp on the plate or packaging.  I doubt it!
For outdoor, weatherproof plates, I would expect to see a listing.  There are two varieties: One that is rated weatherproof when cords are connected and one that is only weatherproof when cords are NOT connected.  This will be clearly indicated on the device and packaging.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
The UL-514D standard is titled "Cover Plates for Flush-Mounted Wiring Devices", which is a bit of a giveaway before you even read the the scope section of the document.

Offline jackthomson41

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 02:04:56 pm »
There must be some standard code for this, why don't you contact some company who are already manufacturing wall plates, you can get the specs etc. It's better to learn the Physics of the system.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:22:40 pm by jackthomson41 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf