Author Topic: are these readings correct?  (Read 80985 times)

Offline p.larnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
are these readings correct?
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:54:38 am »
I am building a hyland 030v 2ma-3a psu,i amusing a transfo from an old ham radio psu,ps-30m if i remember,the raw voltage into the bridge is 19v unloaded,but on the filter cap after a bridge rectifier i measure 44v,is that normal,seems high to me.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: are these readings correct?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:58:27 am »
wotz da AC volz on de trafo

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, radiolistener, coppercone2

Offline xvr

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 11:07:34 am »
> if i remember,the raw voltage into the bridge is 19v unloaded,but on the filter cap after a bridge rectifier i measure 44v,is that normal,seems high to me.

Definitely high. Should be 19*sqrt(2) ~ 27V

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:23:07 am »
level : dublin shipyard, 1951?

I want this reply #1 dated more accurately by a expert . Paging Dr. Jackson. I want to learn this speak to help communicate with reply #0 better but it needs to be right

shit its like jamacian isent it? this thread sounds like its purpose is to rob a lorry?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:29:03 am by coppercone2 »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 12:06:45 pm »
the ac input to the transformer is uk mains circa 230vac,its odd to me having 44+v on the filter cap after the bridge,how can this be?,i am meashuring using a fluke83,using my avo8 ac into the bridge is 18v dc from the bridge is about 42v.,the transformer is running quiet and cool,this is all unloaded.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 12:23:06 pm »
2ndry winding volz?

do u hav a voltage dubler?

The following users thanked this post: tooki, radiolistener, coppercone2

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 12:35:52 pm »
wozza vees whn lded?

unlded vees wll be bigr
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 12:36:35 pm »
It would appear to me the transformer is 19vac on EACH SIDE of center tap and he has a 4 diode bridge instead of 2 diodes with center tap return.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 12:38:41 pm »
Need some spaces after the commas?
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 12:43:18 pm »
Need some spaces after the commas?

Needs more than that.

I consider it polite to respond to this OP in the manner in which he communicates (in a loose sense of the word) with us in his many many first posts :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 02:00:18 pm »
amusing a transfo
Careful, that could be classed as illegal in some jurisdictions.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 02:40:35 pm »
how about you guys stop being pedantic prats and answer the questions if you are able!?.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 03:30:00 pm »
If you have supplied that 44 Volts to the board, the three opamps are now fried.  Don't ask me how I know.  :(

Look at the maximun ratings for them on a data sheet.   It isn't easy to find a transformer that will permit the board to give 30 Volts at 3 Amps but not blow the opamps when the load current is low.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 03:33:25 pm by wasedadoc »

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 03:53:45 pm »
If the transformer is 19vac each side of C.T. that gives 38vac all the way across. The average rectified and filtered voltage would be around 48 to 50vdc. Not sure how you are getting 44 volts from a transformer marked as 19 unless the primaries are wired wrong although in that case the transformer would also self destruct with 240 on a 120 winding. If that were a ham radio supply it would have been designed for around 13.2vdc output so a 19vac winding would make sense. I don't have a clue how you will get 0-30vdc using that transformer unless it really is 38vac across the full winding. I have no other ideas or comments.

Offline 807

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 04:12:30 pm »
the ac input to the transformer is uk mains circa 230vac,its odd to me having 44+v on the filter cap after the bridge,how can this be?,i am meashuring using a fluke83,using my avo8 ac into the bridge is 18v dc from the bridge is about 42v.,the transformer is running quiet and cool,this is all unloaded.

I'm a bit confused about what meter you are using to check your voltages, as you mention a Fluke and an Avo8.

Are you saying that (using just the Fluke), that you get 18v ac from the secondary to the input of the bridge, and 42-44v dc (using the Fluke) on the smoothing capacitor?

I assume this is just a basic, mains transformer/bridge/smoothing capacitor arrangement?

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 04:36:13 pm »
Schematic available in Aliexpress listing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32686218522.html. Not the zippyshare link.  Click the "View more" to see the lower half of the board layout and schematic.

Or see the schematic in the OP's other thread. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/hyland-psu-questions/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 04:49:53 pm by wasedadoc »

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 05:37:53 pm »
just re meashured this with my fluke 83v ac input to the bridge is 18.9v dc across the cap is 40.73v,does that look about right?, the tranfomer has 2 secondary windings,one main winding and one aux winding,the bridge is connected to the main secondary winding.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 05:42:24 pm »
Doesn't seem right. The DV voltage should be 26.7VDC. Not 40. May be you can try to disconnect the down stream circuit. The Fluke 83 isn't a true RMS meter but then it shouldn't make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 05:45:17 pm by BeBuLamar »

Offline xvr

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 05:45:19 pm »
> dc across the cap is 40.73v

What cap? There are 3 power caps in schematic.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 05:47:15 pm »
there is nothing downstream yet its just the transformer going into a bridge rectifier with a 22000ufcap hanging on the rectifier+ and minus outputs.,the rectifier has what looks like mall disc ceramics between all legs tho but i cant see that altering the readings?

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 05:49:56 pm »
i have done away wth the onboard rectifier diodes and filter cap and am usng an offboard cap+rectifier instead ok.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 05:55:46 pm »
Can you measure the AC voltage output of the transfomer when it is completely disconnected from your circuit?  Those readings don't add up and the only two explanations I can think of are that either you have somehow set up a full-wave voltage doubler instead of a full wave bridge or you have a shorted diode and that is causing your input AC voltage to be read incorrectly by your meter.  Or something else very strange is going on.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 06:10:52 pm »
i have done away wth the onboard rectifier diodes and filter cap and am usng an offboard cap+rectifier instead ok.
That may not explain the voltage readings anomaly but for the board to work you must supply AC.  In addition to the board having four diodes forming the bridge rectifier to give the positive voltage there are two more generating a negative voltage.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 06:50:53 pm »
how about you guys stop being pedantic prats and answer the questions if you are able!?.
Then put some effort into writing your questions. You sound like a total pillock, which is why everyone is taking the micky. At least use a spell check for crying out loud.

just re meashured this with my fluke 83v ac input to the bridge is 18.9v dc across the cap is 40.73v,does that look about right?, the tranfomer has 2 secondary windings,one main winding and one aux winding,the bridge is connected to the main secondary winding.
That makes no sense. You talk about AC input to the bridge being 18.9VDC, but I might have misinterpreted it, no thanks to the lack of commas.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 08:17:51 pm »
sorry the ac input to the bridge is just about 19vac , The dc voltage when  the bridge dc output is connected to a filter cap is 40.5v,seems too high?.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf