Author Topic: Learning to use a Spectrum Analyzer  (Read 1056 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Learning to use a Spectrum Analyzer
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2024, 07:35:55 am »
... I've seen a lot of "professionals" (myself very much included) do some ... unadvisable ... things with test equipment.

Oh no, never. Never ever ever;)

Most professionals have a pretty good idea of what powers they are going to be measuring and simply add an appropriate (external) pad where needed.  I also know quite a few customers who will use an RF power sensor when in doubt, since blowing up one of those is less costly (but again, it's still pretty rare).

Another issue is where the UUT is grossly faulty, e.g. has DC on the signal.

If you're just interested in learning how to operate a spec an, an easy and very safe way to get test signals is just to get a cheap antenna and look at the FM broadcast band or some cellular or ISM band (e.g. 2.4 GHz, etc.).  Lots of signals to practice on, no expensive equipment needed, and essentially zero chance of damaging anything. 

Other sources are
  • plain old signal generators, looking for harmonics and phase noise
  • digital signals, especially PRBSs, and looking for where the 20dB/decade becomes 40dB/decade thus hinting at the transition times. Almost certainly needs a pad and DC block!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, VSV_electron

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2024, 08:48:40 am »
Another issue is where the UUT is grossly faulty, e.g. has DC on the signal.

Indeed :).  But most "professional" analyzers can / should tolerate relatively high levels of DC at the inputs - up to 50 VDC in the case of all our spec ans

Almost certainly needs a pad and DC block!

Yes, these are cheap insurance no matter what.  I have a huge assortment of attenuators and if I were given a "mystery signal" to look at, I would probably start out with one of the larger pads :)  An external step attenuator might be another option.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 08:51:25 am by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: VSV_electron

Offline VSV_electronTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2024, 05:55:26 pm »
Thanks much for all your replies! Just exactly what I wanted to know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf