Author Topic: entry level oscilloscopes recommendations  (Read 2491 times)

Offline dalpetsTopic starter

• Contributor
entry level oscilloscopes recommendations
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:05 am »
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new dso entry-level oscillisope up to 100Mhz in the price range of $300-$399 (AUD).

It's been a mine field trying to come up with one that doesn't have flaws, that the hobby users find unacceptable. I suppose this is to be expected in this price range but the trick has to be to find one that has the least flaws & reasonable specs.  Reasonable specs for me means one suitable for hobby electronics, not with the bells & whistles that an engineer might need. That type of scope is unlikely to fall in the entry-level, anyhow.

I keep coming back to the Rigol 50Mhz DS1052E that seems to have a  long-term front runner reputation. Having said that it is now a bit old in the tooth at ~5yrs. Is there anything more recent that in your opinion comes close in quality, or is there one that you have been using for more than 3 months that you are quite happy with performance wise. A 7 inch display would be a bonus.

I look forward to existing oscilliscope users recommendations.

Thanks all

Offline Ed Herdman

• Contributor
Re: entry level oscilloscopes recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:28 am »
Hope you don't mind if I piggyback in your thread - looking for much the same, though my specific use cases are probably troubleshooting 80s-ish computer stuff (and things that use parts with about those specifications) and possibly a bit of TV repair work (I realize I have a lot to read about here, including safe procedures when dealing with anything that could have live voltages), testing and hopefully fixing various other SDTV era gear.

I personally have been interested to look at some of the semi-recent Tek / HP / Agilent and similar scopes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:43 am »
For an extra safety margin I recommend you look for scopes with a 400V BNC input rating.
Especially for those with 230VAC mains.
As your experience grows you will do work on SMPS and this is where you will encounter HV.

7" widescreen, once you have used one, you will be hooked.  :-+

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Legion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »
I'm in the market for a new dso entry-level oscillisope up to 100Mhz in the price range of $300-$399 (AUD).

GW Instek has the GDS 1052-U for about $385USD (sorry I don't know what prices are for these in Australia). The DS1052E is probably better though since you can easily "upgrade" it to 100MHz. Siglent makes the SDS1102CML which is 100MHz and has a 7" screen for ~$400USD.  I've never used a Siglent before so I can't speak to quality. If you're willing to go a bit higher in price the DS1074Z gets recommended around here a lot. Gives you the 7" screen and 4 channels instead of 2. But it's $585USD, a not insignificant jump above your stated price range.

Brand wise, I have a Rigol scope and I'm very happy with the quality and service I've received from the company.

If you're open to buying used you should be able to make those dollars go further.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »
 I own a ~Siglent SDS1102 CNL and I'm very happy with it
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf