Author Topic: 50Hz signal on oscilloscope probe  (Read 11719 times)

Offline NottheDanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
50Hz signal on oscilloscope probe
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »
Where does it come from?

Newly bought Rigol DS1052E arrived today and when I tested it out one of the probes that came with it (but not the second one) is picking up this signal from somewhere. Any idea why or how I can get rid of it?

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 50Hz signal on oscilloscope probe
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:36:09 pm »
In the UK, AC mains has a frequency of 50hz so I would guess that your probe has a problem with its shielding and is simply picking up EMI from the mains. If the shielding is not earthed properly all the way down to the tip, the wire will act a bit like an antenna and pick up all manner of stray EMI. Do you get continuity from the metal plug up to the outer shielding at the tip of the probe?

From reading some of the threads on Rigol scopes (I'm thinking of getting a DS1054Z myself) I understand that occasionally probes supplied with Rigol scopes have been found to be faulty. However, Rigol, will usually replace them.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:39:59 pm by WaveyDipole »

The following users thanked this post: NottheDan

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 09:06:17 pm »
Where does it come from?

Newly bought Rigol DS1052E arrived today and when I tested it out one of the probes that came with it (but not the second one) is picking up this signal from somewhere. Any idea why or how I can get rid of it?

Assuming that you haven't connected the probe to anything (other than the scope), then this is normal - just picking up mains radiation.  It's just acting as an antenna. 

If you connect the scope ground lead to the probe tip, it should go away.  Similarly, if you connect to a circuit you're testing, making sure to connect the ground lead also, the 50Hz signal shouldn't be there.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: NottheDan, petert

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:18:19 pm »
I notice it is a fairly low level signal and even shorting the earth clip to the probe tip can still pick up stray EMF.  This is because the earth lead will form a loop - basically a one turn secondary of an air-cored transformer to the rest of the world (or a loop antenna - choose your poison).  This is actually a very important aspect of scope measurement and you need to be aware of this - and how to minimise the problem - as it will happen with even the best of probes.  It's a function of the physics even a $1,000 probe must obey.

The other thing I've noticed is that the signal has clear departures from the traditional sine wave profile and this indicates to me that there's some type of switching power control somewhere nearby.  You can check if it's in your lab or nearby by having this display up on the scope and switching off equipment one by one.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:19:51 pm by Brumby »

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:02:10 am »
Fluorescent lights ?

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 03:33:05 am »
Why does the OP's 400mV p-p look like it's done on a 4 bit ADC.  :-//
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 05:04:11 am »
Because I just fiddled with the knobs until I got it in picture and otherwise the DSO is straight out of the box and I don't really know what I am doing?

I notice it is a fairly low level signal and even shorting the earth clip to the probe tip can still pick up stray EMF.  This is because the earth lead will form a loop - basically a one turn secondary of an air-cored transformer to the rest of the world (or a loop antenna - choose your poison).  This is actually a very important aspect of scope measurement and you need to be aware of this - and how to minimise the problem - as it will happen with even the best of probes.  It's a function of the physics even a $1,000 probe must obey.
But the thing is, only one of the probes picks it up. That's what surprised me about it.

Fluorescent lights ?

Regards, Dana.
Don't use any here. LED lighting. Nextdoor has CFL but I don't know whether they were on or not.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:10:16 am by NottheDan »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 06:56:13 am »
But the thing is, only one of the probes picks it up. That's what surprised me about it.
The one set to 1:1 will be the most sensitive, the other is probably set at 10: 1.

It's just EMI, RFI etc, quite normal for an unconnected probe.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:24:39 am »
The one set to 1:1 will be the most sensitive, the other is probably set at 10: 1.
They were both set to 10:1. That was one thing I remembered to make sure of.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 11:32:29 am »
I wouldn't suspect anything wrong at all, does it disappear when connected to something? I see this on my scope and the waveform will change will I switch off my CFL/Fluorescent light but it's not a problem when connected to a circuit.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 12:23:19 pm »
Use the 1khz square test signal on the front of the scope to test/set both probes up.
Is it 'Brand new and high quality' or 'pre-loved'?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
Use the 1khz square test signal on the front of the scope to test/set both probes up.
Is it 'Brand new and high quality' or 'pre-loved'?
as far as I can tell it is new. It was advertised as unused and all the printed documents were in Chinese. So I guess it was someone's grey import.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 02:24:22 pm »
I hope you got it for a VERY good price, after looking at some screen shots in old threads on here my only explanation for the steps in your noise is that it is  :-BROKE.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/rigol-ds1052e-nasty-surprise!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/changing-the-rigol-ds1052e-to-ds1102e-using-usb-the-dummy-guide

Or maybe not.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds-2072-noise-problem/msg195218/#msg195218
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:53:20 pm by StillTrying »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 10:23:10 pm »
I hope you got it for a VERY good price, after looking at some screen shots in old threads on here my only explanation for the steps in your noise is that it is  :-BROKE.

I dunno. To me £160 seemed to be quite a good price. Did I overpay?

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 01:52:19 am »
It's a good price for a new 2ch 50Mhz scope, problem with that early model is the very low screen resolution.

You seem to be capturing an almost flat line and then expanding it in the Y direction, there's no extra info there, you have to get the waveform a few divisions high before capture.

Read the first part of manual and try to get two 1kHz test signals on the screen, it will help to find why the probes don't seem matched.
On the cheapest probes, or old well used probes the X1/X10 switch often becomes intermittent.

https://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/Users%2520Guide%2520DS1000E.pdf

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »

I dunno. To me £160 seemed to be quite a good price. Did I overpay?
It seems like a reasonable price for what you've got but, unless you're strapped for cash, I'd advise spending more and getting something better.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 04:54:22 pm »

have you stopped acquisition, and adjusted vertical gain? if yes, the result is not meaningful, as you only stretch the A/D converted memory content. Maybe try and repeat your test with running acquisition.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 06:26:50 pm »

have you stopped acquisition, and adjusted vertical gain? if yes, the result is not meaningful, as you only stretch the A/D converted memory content. Maybe try and repeat your test with running acquisition.
Damn if I know. Probably. I'm new to this whole thing.

Tried to get some better pictures today and got the problem that it ran at a much lower level. Took me a while to notice that the last time I had it with the hook on while I only had the bare probe connected today. So yeah, hook attached amplifies it, my finger getting anywhere near the tip even more so. Connecting the ground clip to the probe removes it, as does connecting it to the inbuilt signal seems to do.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 06:50:44 am »

Damn if I know. Probably. I'm new to this whole thing.

Tried to get some better pictures today and got the problem that it ran at a much lower level. Took me a while to notice that the last time I had it with the hook on while I only had the bare probe connected today. So yeah, hook attached amplifies it, my finger getting anywhere near the tip even more so. Connecting the ground clip to the probe removes it, as does connecting it to the inbuilt signal seems to do.
if it disappears with shorted probe you can assume that your scope is in order. what you experience is normal, you can consider the high impedance probe being an antenna that will pick up everything that is in the air. in fact using the tip needle as a simple E field probe is quite common. try to place it close to the switching node of a dc/dc conveeter for example. when measuring a normal signal everything becomes cleaner because your probe is connected to something low impedance. like the test signal generator.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline fubar.gr

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 05:22:19 pm »
This is actually a very important aspect of scope measurement and you need to be aware of this - and how to minimise the problem - as it will happen with even the best of probes.  It's a function of the physics even a $1,000 probe must obey.

^This

I've seen people spend $$$ on new equipment in the hopes of making better measurements, only to realize that the problem is still there!

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline beenosam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 02:50:18 pm »
This is actually a very important aspect of scope measurement and you need to be aware of this - and how to minimise the problem - as it will happen with even the best of probes.  It's a function of the physics even a $1,000 probe must obey.

^This

I've seen people spend $$$ on new equipment in the hopes of making better measurements, only to realize that the problem is still there!
That would be an awful reality check.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf