Author Topic: 4 microsecond high power pulses through LED  (Read 9851 times)

Offline mribbleTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
4 microsecond high power pulses through LED
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:19:07 pm »
So I'm designing a circuit to blink some LEDs for 1-4 microsecond durations.  I've read via several papers that you can overdrive LEDs by about 50-100 times beyond standard max power for short durations like this, but I need to do some testing.  So I made a test PCB to try different capacitors, current limiting resistors, and LEDs.

I've attached a drawing of the relevant parts of my circuit.  I also just realized it's missing a current limiting 1 ohm resistor above between 30V and the LED.

The problem I'm seeing is the shown in the attached scope trace.  The yellow line is current of the 1 ohm resistor.  Each box represents 10A, so the average triggering current is about 15A.  The cyan line is voltage across the LED.  Each box represents 10V so the average triggering voltage is about 10V.  On the x axis each box represents 500 ns so the total trigger time is about 4 us as expected.

I see 2 problems.

• One thing that concerns me is the ringing.  Do you guys know what would be causing that?  Is it possible that it's just my sloppy wiring and it will go away when I get everything on a nice better PCB?  (Remember it's a test pcb so I didn't minimize trace length because I wanted to try different components, but the traces are quite wide where they need to be)
  • The other thing that concerns me is the downward slope of voltage and the upward slope of current during triggering.  This didn't show up when I tested charging the cap to 20V, but is is easy to see at 30v on the cap (I decided I wanted to try and understand this before trying higher voltages).  The total average power in this 30V test is about 3x the 20V test (150W vs 50W).

I checked and I'm confident the dropping voltage isn't that the cap is being discharged so it's something else.

Here are the parts I'm using.  I know the voltages and currents for these parts are well beyond what I need right now, but I was planning to test with much higher voltages.

* Cap is 220uF and 250V.  ESR is rated at under 1 ohm, but I don't know how they measured that (my understanding is ESR can be pretty different depending on how it's measured).  https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/cornell-dubilier-cde/slpx221m250a1p3?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3ROGmxq83YAGBlZdwq9XP7Y%3D
* Cree 5W (10V) LED - https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/cree-inc/mhbawt-0000-000c0bd250e?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y3sOCTnhdZkGJ0P2fVkJFMdF%252b96cyz53ew%3D%3D
* Big mosfet - https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/infineon-technologies/irfs4227trlpbf?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2FWi5%252bqVgN3%252bWS8ZsC7Yl6o%2FTc%3D
* Schottky diode - https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/stmicroelectronics/stps4s200s?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2FM1SZ0THNZ7sE6Rykgl7LP%252bZ3tc7dz%252bcbQ%3D%3D

A big thanks for any help you folks can provide!

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: 4 microsecond high power pulses through LED
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »
A parallel resistor across the LED may help with ringing. LEDs aren't designed with low inductance in mind so it may be worth trying a few differnt ones to see which works best.
Note that 100x power will not give anything remotely like 100x brightness as LED efficiency drops at higher currents
With white LEDs there may be a point where the phosphor saturates, so you won't get any more.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:05:58 pm »
What kind of resistor across the LED would you suggest trying?  Just a starting point for resistance is what I'm looking for.

I'm aware that 100x power won't give 100x brightness.  I've got a setup to measure power consumed by the LED and measure brightness so I'm going to graph that to the point the LED dies and then pick a point that seems to work.

Would it be an option to just ignore the ringing I'm seeing?  I means if it's doesn't damage anything I don't think I have an issue with it...

Thanks!

The bigger problem right now is why does my voltage drop off in that scope trace.  I don't really want to test higher voltages until I get that figured out.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:31 pm »
What kind of resistor across the LED would you suggest trying?  Just a starting point for resistance is what I'm looking for.

I'm aware that 100x power won't give 100x brightness.  I've got a setup to measure power consumed by the LED and measure brightness so I'm going to graph that to the point the LED dies and then pick a point that seems to work.

Would it be an option to just ignore the ringing I'm seeing?  I means if it's doesn't damage anything I don't think I have an issue with it...

If nothing else it will help get a cleaner off-time. Value maybe to take a few % of youre "on" current.
Also, there may be an advantage to biasing the LED to a "just off" voltage with a resistor divider, to get a faster turn-on as teh stray capacitance will already be partly charged.

Also, how are you probing it? You need to have a very short ground to minimise inductance, using the ring at the probe tip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:29:50 pm »
Also, how are you probing it? You need to have a very short ground to minimise inductance, using the ring at the probe tip

I'm just using my scope.  If by "ring at the probe tip" you mean that standard 3-ish inch ground clamp on cheap rigol scopes then I'm doing that.  If you mean something more excotic then I'm not doing it and you'll need to explain it to me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 05:38:45 pm »
Don't forget the standard equation for changing currents and inductors: V = Ldi/dt where V is the induced voltage.

Work out your change in current, di, and the time in which it changes, dt. Then assume as a starting point that a wire's inductance is 1nH/mm.

Also inductor + capacitor => resonant circuit, resonant frequency f = 1/2*pi*sqrt(LC)

So, given how you have constructed your circuit, what induced voltage and resonant frequency would you expect?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:59:26 pm »
The ringing is due to the inductance, resonating with parasitic capacitance. The LED doesn't appear to be too inductive, going by how it's packaged.

Yes, a resistor across the LED will cut down on the ringing, as well as improve the off time. You may also want to consider another MOSFET, in parallel with the LED, forming a half bridge, to improve the off time further. Keep the MOSFET and capacitor, as close to the LED, as possible.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:23:10 pm »
Using the ground lead on the scope will show ringing that isn’t really there. Take it off and use the little ground probe spring instead.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:39:14 pm »
Thanks for all the help so far!

tggzzz, thanks for that equation.  I have never had to worry about that sort of thing before (I'm just a software guy).  After reading up on it I think I understand it now.  However, I don't know the inductance of my PCB traces and wires.  That said, I know I can reduce those things in my next PCB design.  I suppose I could figure out the inductance by looking at the voltage (and I know di/dt), but there really isn't a point.  I think I just need to design the pcb with minimum inductice on this critical loop.  Basically do what Hero999 suggested of getting the cap, led and mosfet as close as possible.

I tried putting a 220 ohm resistor in parallel with the LED and it didn't seem to help noticeable.  I guess I should try a smaller value.  Can I just use a small wattage resistor here since it will only be pulsed on for 4 microseconds or less?  I don't actually know how much current is going to go through the resistor since my mental model of an LED is just the ideal theoretical LED and in that case no current will go through the resistor.

I don't really want to go the route of adding an extra mosfet on the LED.  The big reason here is because I am just testing the baby version of this circuit right now.  The next PCB I make will be the full version which has 36 LEDs (6 strings of 6 leds with the cap running at around 150V and peak currents around 120A).  For that circuit adding all the extra mosfets would be an issue.  However, I also think the ringing in that circuit will be even worse since the di/dt will be bigger.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:24 pm »
You, uh, can't probe the voltage across the LED, unless you have a differential probe.  All the probe grounds are the same common ground.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:42:42 pm »
However, I don't know the inductance of my PCB traces and wires.

Until you have a better figure, assume 1nH/mm - and do the calculations!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline kony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:54:24 pm »
Curious about usecase - what is this source for?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:55:09 pm »

I'm just using my scope.  If by "ring at the probe tip" you mean that standard 3-ish inch ground clamp on cheap rigol scopes then I'm doing that.  If you mean something more excotic then I'm not doing it and you'll need to explain it to me.
You need to keep the ground lead as short as possible - no longer than 10mm. The ringing you are seeing may be entirely the result of using a long ground lead.
This is what I mean about using the tip ring :
https://youtu.be/-siuk4p4dO0?t=1083

What you are most interested in is the current through the LED, the easiest way to measure this would be to connect a low value resistor, maybe 10mR in the ground connection to the MOSFET, and scope across this with a x1 probe, to give a 10mV per amp signal

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:08 pm »
You, uh, can't probe the voltage across the LED, unless you have a differential probe.  All the probe grounds are the same common ground.

Tim
the PSU does not need to be grounded - with a  floating PSU you can ground the scope to the +ve rail, but make sure the PSU ground really isn't connected to mains earth.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:36 pm »
Tim
This explains some strangness I was seeing.  From your description I understand why I can't probe across multiple sources, but just probing only the LED seems to trigger the system and I don't understand why.  If I'm only using one probe it shouldn't matter if the scope sees ground as the point between the LED and mosfet, right?  There is something fundamental about the scope's probe I still don't understand...

Curious about usecase - what is this source for?
The use case is a microsecond flash for photograph.  It is fast enough to freeze bullets in mid-air.  Previously I worked with airgap flashes, but this should be a much cheaper and safer (relatively speaking) way to do it.  There are also several other advantages that I won't get into unless you're really interested.  These first tests already proved to me that I can get enough light so I am pretty sure I can get this working with some more effort now that I'm sure the photons are there.

You need to keep the ground lead as short as possible - no longer than 10mm. The ringing you are seeing may be entirely the result of using a long ground lead.
This is what I mean about using the tip ring :
https://youtu.be/-siuk4p4dO0?t=1083

What you are most interested in is the current through the LED, the easiest way to measure this would be to connect a low value resistor, maybe 10mR in the ground connection to the MOSFET, and scope across this with a x1 probe, to give a 10mV per amp signal

Right, I already have a 1 ohm 5W resistor to limit current and have been measuring current through it. The most important thing is current like you said, but voltage is also useful since I need to know what voltage to apply to power a string of these.  I think I have that voltage measurement, but as I mentioned above it's acting kind of odd when I probe the LED voltage.  Anyways current through the resistor measure fine so that's what I focused on.  I made a spring tip like you suggested and that didn't seem to impact the ringing (might of helped some, but not enough for me to easily notice).  I suspect the issue is my PCB has about 200 mm of traces between the critical components and another 100mm of ground plane (not sure if the ground plane portion of the loop counts.

I did that and I estimate I have 200mm of traces in the critical loop and another 100 mm of ground plane.  Not sure if I should include the ground plane or not so I'll do it both ways.  I estimate my di/dt current change is 100 million amps per second (20A in 0.2 microseconds).  So that gives me an induced voltage of 30V which is in the range of what I'm seeing on the scope.  For resonance frequency I using some really rough number I get 9nS which again is within an order of magnitude of what I'm seeing on the scope.

I think this is likely my issue.  Now that I know how important this is for this circuit I'll make sure I spend time optimizing my next PCB for all this.  I basically want the thickest, shortest traces. What I'm not sure about is if the ground plane under all this help this kind of circuit and how bad vias are?

Tim
the PSU does not need to be grounded - with a  floating PSU you can ground the scope to the +ve rail, but make sure the PSU ground really isn't connected to mains earth.

Ah, this explains the strangeness I was seeing when trying to measure the measure the led voltage with my scope.   I totally forgot about this.  I can switch to a floating power supply (batteries) if I want to measure it in the future.

Thanks everyone, you have all been super helpful to an ignorant software guy trying to struggle though this stuff for the first time!!  I keep thinking I must know enough about electronics now for my IOT devices, and then I keep finding some new use case that takes me totally out of my EE comfort zone.  :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 09:51:03 pm »
Actually, I just realized this answers my question about the ringing.  Does anyone know what would be causing problem #2 in my first post?  The downward slope of voltage on the scope.  Is that someone a measurement error from my scope because of the ground issue?  I kind of doubt that because I also see current sloping up and that measurement should be ok.  Is this somehow related to my ringing problem?

Offline kony

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 10:14:47 pm »
Yes, I'd actually like to hear more detailed explanation about the usecases. Similar fast pulse LED sources are used in older methods for volumetric flow recording, stumbled upon that recently and hence I was curious if it is anything related.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »

I did that and I estimate I have 200mm of traces in the critical loop and another 100 mm of ground plane.  Not sure if I should include the ground plane or not so I'll do it both ways.  I estimate my di/dt current change is 100 million amps per second (20A in 0.2 microseconds).  So that gives me an induced voltage of 30V which is in the range of what I'm seeing on the scope.  For resonance frequency I using some really rough number I get 9nS which again is within an order of magnitude of what I'm seeing on the scope.

I suspected it might. BTW time is measured in seconds(s) not Siemens (S)!

I think this is likely my issue.  Now that I know how important this is for this circuit I'll make sure I spend time optimizing my next PCB for all this.  I basically want the thickest, shortest traces. What I'm not sure about is if the ground plane under all this help this kind of circuit and how bad vias are?

You are on the right track (ho ho). Ground planes will definitely help, vias won't be a major issue at these frequencies, but do be sure there are no gaps in the groundplane. The rule of thumb is that in a ground plane the return current "likes" to follow underneath the signal current, so don't route critical signals across gaps in the groundplane.

When you have time, google for "Bogotin's rules of thumb" on EDN. They provide a succinct glimpse into what lies ahead.

Thanks everyone, you have all been super helpful to an ignorant software guy trying to struggle though this stuff for the first time!!  I keep thinking I must know enough about electronics now for my IOT devices, and then I keep finding some new use case that takes me totally out of my EE comfort zone.  :D

It is a pleasure to help someone that thinks, listens, does the work, understands, and makes new mistakes next time around.

The following users thanked this post: nuno

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »
I suspect the issue is my PCB has about 200 mm of traces between the critical components and another 100mm of ground plane (not sure if the ground plane portion of the loop counts.
You should be aiming to get all the current paths as short as possible, and minimise loop area -  tens, not hundreds of mm.
For a large array, you'll probably be better off with multiple caps and mosfets. This will also give flexibility to do things like sequentially firing different sections.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:30 pm »
Check di/dt for the LED you are going to use. These figures may not even be published for a LED.
However a short duration high current pulse through a semiconductor can punch a hole through the junction due to carrier mobility restrictions.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:30 pm »
This explains some strangness I was seeing.  From your description I understand why I can't probe across multiple sources, but just probing only the LED seems to trigger the system and I don't understand why.  If I'm only using one probe it shouldn't matter if the scope sees ground as the point between the LED and mosfet, right?  There is something fundamental about the scope's probe I still don't understand...

To a first degree -- if you have an isolated supply, or more basically, no other ground connections to the circuit -- yes, you can clip the probe to the switched node.

BUT, you'll still get a waveform similar to what's pictured, because there is no such thing as perfect (as in radio frequency) isolation.  The PS, and scope (if ground is lifted), have capacitance to ground (or mains), so you get a long loop, from probe to scope cord to power supply cord to supply leads, which has a modest inductance (some uH).  The capacitance and inductance resonate, and you get ringing, and currents induced in the circuit that wouldn't otherwise be there (your measurement disturbs the circuit -- no, it's not just for quantum mechanics!).

The preferred way is to keep grounds...groundly.  The +30V and 0V nodes will have little AC on them, so are a good reference to work from.  (One or the other, not both, of course!)  The probe tip then can be clipped onto whatever circuit node is of interest.

Note that, if you ground to +30V, all signals are "below" ground, so you will see negative voltages.  Just make the mental sign-flip (or tick the "invert" option on the input channel menu, if you have one?).

So that solves the 2nd order problem (when is isolation, not isolation? -- capacitance!).

You're still not completely free of ground noise, because there could be some crossed paths yet, at high frequency.  Remember that grounding to the switching node. puts switching voltage on that huge loop?  Well, any segment of that loop has a fraction of the full loop's inductance.  That is to say, a loop is a single inductor, which is equivalent to many small inductors in series.  Inductors in series means you have a voltage divider among them.  So, even the few inches of probe ground clip, has a nonzero voltage drop!  Or even the few cm of traces in the circuit, or the few mm of lead length on the components (and the bond wires inside them).

You probably won't have to worry about extremely low probing inductance now (the spring clip Mike's talking about) -- but that is definitely the preferred method.

By the way, the probe itself has some impedance, which draws current from the circuit, and that current returns through the probe ground (clip or spring, whichever you're using).  Which, since that ground is a wire of nonzero length, it will also have some inductance, and some voltage drop at high frequencies.  That voltage, in turn, still appears across the big loop (probe cable, mains cable, back to the supply), so you can still experience ringing from that path, even though your probing technique is otherwise quite good, and your ground point is otherwise quiet.  In this case, you already have one intended current path: the path through the probe ground clip.  You can reduce the current through other paths (the large loop) by increasing the impedance of those paths.  How?  Add ferrite beads to the probe cord. :)

Note this is a 3rd order consideration -- usually not significant, but it is nice to understand what's going on, especially when you're working with frequencies high enough (risetimes short enough) that you need a spring clip and whatnot.

(Basically, if you don't see a difference from clipping a ferrite bead on the probe cord, it's probably weak enough not to matter, and the 2nd order approximation will be fine.)

Tim
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:18:19 pm by T3sl4co1l »

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 11:20:06 pm »
First I would not care about ringing.

First I would take a look at the optical output of the LED with a fast photodiode because the datasheet of the LED tells nothing about the optical risetime/falltime - if I'm not wrong.

There are not only the (optical) rise and fall times of the LED behind the phosphor,  there may be a 'lifetime' of the electrons of the phosphor too. This can cause an additional slow down of the fall times.

Maybe it works with your LED. Many it works not. I would not be sure.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:04 pm »
There are not only the (optical) rise and fall times of the LED behind the phosphor,  there may be a 'lifetime' of the electrons of the phosphor too. This can cause an additional slow down of the fall times.

I think -- suspect? -- that the phosphors typically used have a modest lifetime (microseconds or less), so it should work out pretty okay here.  There may be quite a lot of "drool" (a 1/f tail, or a fraction at much longer time constants?), I don't know.

I know they're not good enough for that "LiFi" thing some people were talking about -- that uses higher frequency modulation (10s of ns) and is only sensible through a blue filter (the blue LED shines through a yellow phosphor to make white light, so the blue spectral line is not delayed or anything).

If you needed absolute fastest (fractional us), you could make an array of RGB LEDs (no phosphor -- also, higher overall efficiency I think?).  You'd have serious problems with power density though (LEDs aren't very useful at peak currents over 10-100x rated current), for which you'd probably have to fall back on the air spark anyway.  Fortunately, there aren't many non-military things that move that quickly..? :-DD

Tim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 12:12:09 am »
tggzzz, those Bogotin's rules of thumb" on EDN look pretty dense, but I'll definiently work my way through them before I do my next pcb layout for this project.

Yes, I'd actually like to hear more detailed explanation about the usecases. Similar fast pulse LED sources are used in older methods for volumetric flow recording, stumbled upon that recently and hence I was curious if it is anything related.

Here is a blog post on airgap flashes I posted years ago.  http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=490  They work and generate more light, but their biggest downside is the physics they use to force the discharge of the spark is charging a quartz tube and that process is not very exact.  I've tried to optimize it in the past after talking to some people at MIT and the best I could get was about 2 microseconds of variance.  In most of my cases that is fine for a single flash, but it leads to noticeable ghosting when trying to use 2 or more flashes, which is pretty common for me.  My actual use great examples of use cases for high speed photography.  I've heard of volumetric flow use cases you mentioned, but I've never done those.  I have done Schlieren photography in the past.  But mainly I just like doing things that look cool like little explosions or bullets hitting things.  I just feel this type of photography looks beautiful, and it's a fun challenge to freeze the moment in time that you want.  I also make a high speed triggering system called the Camera Axe (https://www.dreamingrobots.com/pages/camera-axe).  I make all my designs (including this led flash if I get it working) open source and sell a small number of them on my store for those who don't want to make the items themselves.

BTW I thought this sounded familar :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vela/vela-one-the-worlds-first-high-speed-led-flash

Yes, I actually own two of those.  They are pretty good, but have some major downsides for the type of photography I do.  Some of the big issues with it are that it's too big to fit where I want it to and it has no optics so it wastes the vast majority of its light.  Another issue is they cost $1200.  I figure I can make a smaller version that does what I want for a fraction of that cost.

Check di/dt for the LED you are going to use. These figures may not even be published for a LED.
However a short duration high current pulse through a semiconductor can punch a hole through the junction due to carrier mobility restrictions.

That spec isn't in my LED datasheet, but it's interesting that some LEDs might have the data.  I'll do a little looking to see if I can find that on any LED datasheets.  That said, I am going well outside the specs.  However, like I said there are are handful of papers where universities go well beyond the specs of LEDs and say as long as your pulses are short they should work fine.  I've done some testing and have 10K flashes on an LED at 50x it's rated wattage in 4 microsecond bursts and the LED is still working fine matching what these papers found.  Even Cree published a paper saying if you want to overdrive our LEDs for short durations you do so at your own risk, but it will probably work.  http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/XLampPulsedCurrent.pdf

Tim, that was a lot of info about measurements.  Normally this high frequency stuff doesn't matter to me, but it sure bit me here and at least your 2nd order seems applicable to me.  My take away is to keep grounds being ground if I can.

First I would not care about ringing.

First I would take a look at the optical output of the LED with a fast photodiode because the datasheet of the LED tells nothing about the optical risetime/falltime - if I'm not wrong.

Maybe it works with your LED. Many it works not. I would not be sure.

Good point.  I actually already tested that awhile ago to confirm the phosphors didn't have an afterglow, which I've read some old while LEDs had.  I did not see any ringing in the output of the LED.  The output of the LED looked like a nice square wave on my high speed light diode sensor.  But I did this testing at 20V (which had the ringing, but not the voltage drop off).  I will test again at 30V to see if the output of the light is actually dropping.  If anything changes with the 30V test I'll give an update, but I'm kind of expecting to see a nice square light output there too.

T3sl4co1l, my findings agree with your comments about phosphors.  There is a tiny amount of tail, but it was less than 0.1 us.  Since I only care about relatively long  ;D 1us durations this doesn't matter to me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf