Author Topic: My first scope, should it be a Hantek DSO5102B ? or an Owon SDS7102V ?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline ItsMikeTopic starter

• Contributor
Hey everyone,

I'm new here on the forum, been watching Dave's videos for a long time though.

I really think this is about time I get an oscilloscope, I'm thinking of getting a DSO5102B after reading a bit about it on the web.
But I've also came across some posts on forums (actually, right here) about some issues with this scope, but it appears that the latest firmware fixed the issues.
The fact that I can hack it to have 200MHz bandwidth sounds awesome.

Are there any problem with this scope ? Should I get it ?
Is there any other alternative entry level scope which I should consider ?

Also, I'm wondering where should I buy it from ? I doubt I can find it here locally in Israel.
I've found the DSO5102B on ebay for 345$ +15$ shipping (I could contact the seller to upgrade the shipping though),
Is there any reliable online shop selling this and shipping to Israel ?

[Hope I'm posting in the right place, I tried searching but couldn't find recent info.]

Thanks in advance,
Mike. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:17:52 pm by ItsMike »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: My first scope, should it be a Hantek DSO5102B ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »
I'd stick with Rigol or Siglent for cheap scopes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mike.
You have probably read this already:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-sds7102-vs-hantek-dso5102b-vs-siglent-sds1102cnl/msg234750/#msg234750
rf-loop's recommendations should be considered carefully. He has great knowledge and experience.
 He also identifies the Siglent compared is the wrong model to fit that group. It should be SDS1102CML with 2 Mpts memory.

BTW if you acquire anything around 100 MHz bandwidth, there is little need to hack it anyway IMO.
For a novice to need more is very unusual.

I think your first scope should be from a seller close to you that can give you support as you gain experience.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »
I actually hadn't come across that post yet, thanks.

I didn't realize the DSO5102B had so little memory.
I've read about the Owon SDS7102 and I got the impression that the UI is pretty annoying.
But I guess I can live with that.

After reading that post, the Owon SDS7102 seems like a better choice with it's huge memory.

The local shops here have pretty ridiculous prices and not a lot to offer as far as I know, so I don't have the option to buy a scope locally.

I won't really need 200MHz of bandwidth but I thought it would be nice to reserve the option of the hack.
Now I'm leaning more over the Owon SDS7102 even though the clunky and annoying UI.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 09:43:35 pm »
I'd stick with Rigol or Siglent for cheap scopes.
....and Hantek. We have tinhead on these forums who has reverse engineered and hacked them to death. Far more important to me than a China "tech support" haha.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:53 pm »
The local shops here have pretty ridiculous prices and not a lot to offer as far as I know, so I don't have the option to buy a scope locally.
Be warned: good luck finding a offshore seller that:
1 Supplies a scope destined for the export market with:
   Correct power lead for you country. BTW choose a profile flag for a local recommendation.
   English manuals and software
2 Offers any support you may need.
3 Is part of a distribution network that can address any possible warranty issues in a timely manner.

There are many cases on this forum where a buyer has had a problem and the overseas seller doesn't give a shit.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 02:56:17 am »
Rigol is good because they have a generally strong US presence, and they have a reputable dealer (tequipment.net) here in the States. That being, if you can scrounge up some more money, $585 for a Rigol DS1074Z would be better than all of those options you listed above as it has features and capabilities akin to much higher end scopes, such as Digital phosphor, serial decode, and 24Mpts memory. I have done some vids on it, as have many others on youtube such as Connor.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:37:41 pm »
Rigol is good because they have a generally strong US presence, and they have a reputable dealer (tequipment.net) here in the States.

Which is a non-argument because the OP appearantly lives in Israel.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »
Now I'm leaning more over the Owon SDS7102 even though the clunky and annoying UI.

just be careful, there is SDS7102V with 10Mpoint memory and SDS7102EV with 100kpoint.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »
Rigol is good because they have a generally strong US presence, and they have a reputable dealer (tequipment.net) here in the States.

Which is a non-argument because the OP appearantly lives in Israel.
Ah yes. Didn't see that when I first posted.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:17:15 pm »
Yeah, I updated the country flag after echen1024's post. (Sorry for the mix up)

Anyways, I'm really leaning towards the Owon SDS7102V. As far as I see it the only downside is a slow waveform update rate.
Is there anything else I should know about the Owon ?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21:10 pm »
Yeah, I updated the country flag after echen1024's post. (Sorry for the mix up)

Anyways, I'm really leaning towards the Owon SDS7102V. As far as I see it the only downside is a slow waveform update rate.
Is there anything else I should know about the Owon ?
Really you should try and scrape together some more money for a Rigol DS1074Z. The 2 extra channels alone make it worth the extra money, as well as the hacks which will enable it to perform serial decode/trigger, twice the memory of the Owon, 30000 waveforms per second, and intensity graded display, that is, parts of the waveform that appear less frequently are dimmer, and more frequent parts are brighter, much like the old analog scopes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf