Author Topic: output ripple at the lm2676  (Read 3669 times)

Offline sfiberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
output ripple at the lm2676
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:36 pm »
hi my friends I want to ask a question about buck converters.I designed a circuit that give 7.3 volts as an output.(it should be 7.2 v) but there is a ripple at the output like this when I use 10 mh inductor.

actually I should use 22 uH for this circuit but I have'nt one until next week.To see whats going on with 5 mh I parallel connect to inductors.Then I gave this output signal like under.what do you think about this.Is this ripple,important for electronic circuits.

I will check the circuit with 22 uh inductor soon.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: output ripple at the lm2676
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »
Are you using a 10mH (milli Henry) inductor for the buck converter? Anyway, even with the correct inductor you'll get ripple. To reduce the ripple I'd suggest to add a LC filter at the output, something like 10 or 22 µH and a low ESR cap with a few hundred µF. I can't tell you if the ripple will cause any trouble without any knowledge about the circuit. If you like to get some feedback please tell us about your circuit.

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:37 pm »
Board layout is important with switchers, especially the higher frequency ones.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva021c/snva021c.pdf

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:19 pm »
Does it have a dummy load? All SMPS need a minimum load to work correctly. It looks like the supply is bursting for several cycles then turnning off until the voltage falls below threshold hence the noise pattern.

Offline johansen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:01:02 am »
the output esr and or esl of the output capacitor is excessive, you should not be seeing 500mv with those rise times, regardless if its operating in burst mode or not.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:09:19 am »
10 milli henry?!  How do you convince that thing to not oscillate?!

Unless you have external compensation available, and are willing to follow through and optimize it, you are expressly limited to the inductor and capacitor values recommended by the manufacturer.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline sfiberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:27:43 am »
yes I know my friends but as I said I havent one now,so I just put it to there.Then in this morning I check my circuit with two digital high torque servo and avg voltage dont fell down to 5 volts.it stayed at 7 volts and I think its efficient for me.I reply the circuit paralelly and connected them together with high watt diodes.But there is one little question to you.I recognized that;I couldnt use my servos if I did not connect my osc probes black hook to my reference point.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:11 am »
Does it have a dummy load? All SMPS need a minimum load to work correctly. It looks like the supply is bursting for several cycles then turnning off until the voltage falls below threshold hence the noise pattern.

Where do you got that wisdom from? Some SMPS topologies need a minimal load but not a LM2676 buck converter. You could consider the voltage divider for the feedback a load but it's a few k.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:23:57 am »
yes I know my friends but as I said I havent one now,so I just put it to there.Then in this morning I check my circuit with two digital high torque servo and avg voltage dont fell down to 5 volts.it stayed at 7 volts and I think its efficient for me.I reply the circuit paralelly and connected them together with high watt diodes.But there is one little question to you.I recognized that;I couldnt use my servos if I did not connect my osc probes black hook to my reference point.

Sound's like a ground issue. A circuit diagram would help. BTW, what kind of inductor are you using for the buck converter? Is it a iron power toroid (distributed air gap) or a ferrite toroid with a gap?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf