Author Topic: Multi-board layout with interconnects in a single file? Ribbon, headers, etc...  (Read 1717 times)

Offline george gravesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
As the title says basically....How do you define something like a right-angle header in cad?  I'm kinda finding it hard to keep track of a three dimensional set up in 2d - both in the schematic and the pcb design - and keeping track of what side of the board is what depending on physical orientation.  Any tricks?  Define custom connectors in the software?  That's the only thing I could think of.  Am I missing any tricks?

Both in eagle cad, and in soem generic PCB software.  Advice?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I call right angle connectors 'right angle' connectors in my schematics. I make a physical drawing using Visio (which is a simple 2D drawing program) when dealing with a complex set of boards. If you clearly mark where pin 1 of each connector is in those drawings you have de 3d bit figured out before doing the schematic.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Draw the commectors in their location. If, for board one, the connector will sit top right on the pcb, draw it there. On the second board it then needs to sit top left for the boards to be mating.

I never really had that problem. Then again i am good at visualising the concept.
Make a 3d scribble on a piece of paper that shows what sits where.

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf