• Is Leaving
pick
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:37:54 am »
Q
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:25:06 pm by GEuser »
Soon

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
Re: Lets pick on the news (commentary words usage)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:22 am »
The local news reporters here are a bit ridiculous. The other day, they reported that a man "done been pistol whupp'd."

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:20 am »
"A Gaping hole Full of dirt"

The word "full" here has a slight different meaning.

Just like when people use "useless" to mean "less useful", "literally" to mean "figuratively", ..., the downside of being "educated", I guess.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
The local news reporters here are a bit ridiculous. The other day, they reported that a man "done been pistol whupp'd."

I agree, they, collectively, are a gaping hole, full of sh*t.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:42:42 am »
I've given up on news services.  I typically can't read an entire article without getting so frustrated I give up.  I have to keep reading the same sentence over and over to figure out what it says.  I have to keep scrolling back through the article because they refer to the same person using 5 different names, like there's some rule "Don't use the same name twice".  Remember those stupid rules?  Don't start a sentence with the same word twice.  WTF?  Use the same word 20 times if you need to as long as it makes it easier to read.

I think it's the 24 hour news cycle.  Really, there is no news cycle.  It's stream of consciousness style writing...completely unedited, unsupervised, unreviewed garbage.

BBC isn't too terrible.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:50:32 am »
The news media is so overly politically correct that they once said Nelson Mandela was the first African American President of South Africa. I guess because they've been conditioned into replacing black with African American.

How many generations removed from a culture do you have to be before you are no longer referring to someone in that context?

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:16:04 am »
I've given up on news services.  I typically can't read an entire article without getting so frustrated I give up.  I have to keep reading the same sentence over and over to figure out what it says.  I have to keep scrolling back through the article because they refer to the same person using 5 different names, like there's some rule "Don't use the same name twice".  Remember those stupid rules?  Don't start a sentence with the same word twice.  WTF?  Use the same word 20 times if you need to as long as it makes it easier to read.

I think it's the 24 hour news cycle.  Really, there is no news cycle.  It's stream of consciousness style writing...completely unedited, unsupervised, unreviewed garbage.

BBC isn't too terrible.

Oh, I gave up, I dont speak CNNish or BBCish. Whenever I hear new, it feels like someone grabbed a sentence, changed the words to the form which is used the least amount, painted it with political correctness, changed the space of the words so the sentence so it doesnt make any sence anymore, and then deleted some of the .,;""
Every sentence is like one endless flow of information directed to overload your brain.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:00 am »
Nelson Mandela was the first African American President of South Africa.

Once a black person from the Caribbeans told me that she was running for a leadership position in an african american organization.

"That's great!" I said.

:)
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:24 pm »
   The funniest news gaff that I've seen lately was story about a man that "invented" a light for toilet bowls.  :palm: The article said that he wanted to go into production and is relying on "crowfunding" to raise enough capital.

I see a lot of stuff like that in the newspapers. America is getting dumber by the day! Reporters that can't spell, editors that can't read and spell checkers that don't check!

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:42:30 pm »
What's worse is news reporters explaining technology to the public.

We had a reporter who claimed

{Insert name} was paying for 3 megabytes internet from AT&T, but when she took an online speedtest, she was only getting 0.8 megabytes of speed.

Internet is measured in MEGABITS per SECOND!

I don't say I was driving at the speed of 60 miles.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:23 am »
Almost as bad as those clowns that announce things like:

I want your PIN number.  (Personal Identification Number Number?)

I want your VIN number.  (Vehicle Identification Number Number?)

How many RPM's per minute?  (Revolutions Per Minute Per Minute?  I realize that could be a quantifiable value in some circles...but really?)

Maybe I'd better check my RAM memory or my CPU unit...
The really fun thing is watching the "unknowing" masses continue to willingly and repeatedly demonstrate their "unknowingness" over and over.  (see what I did there?)
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:15 am »
In Germany, most of the news of the big agencies are so bad that they have lost viewers in staggering numbers.
The same is true for printed newspapers and regular magazine.
Once in a while, the statistics are shown and the numbers are down every single time.

I think, people in general are waking up to the BS that they are being told and use the internet to get their news information.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 08:45:59 am »
What's worse is news reporters explaining technology to the public.

We had a reporter who claimed

{Insert name} was paying for 3 megabytes internet from AT&T, but when she took an online speedtest, she was only getting 0.8 megabytes of speed.

Internet is measured in MEGABITS per SECOND!

I don't say I was driving at the speed of 60 miles.

Oh god, that's just going to make it worse, it's bad enough already.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf