Author Topic: single component spanning multiple sheets  (Read 3182 times)

Offline TonyStarkPETopic starter

single component spanning multiple sheets
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »
Hi, I'm a student and I'm new to Altium. I'm working on a project that uses a microC that has 100 pins. I think this can cause a lot a clutter on a schematic diagram. I'm wondering if there's a way to place that same part on multiple sheets without creating a new physical component? I'd also like to know if we can take sub parts of the components, for example the SPI unit, and place that on different sheets as well. One one sheet I may have the LCD, in my case it isn't, but say it was connected to the uC SPI unit and on another sheet a measurement circuit with an ADC connected to the SPI as well. :-//

Thanks.

Offline TonyStarkPETopic starter

Re: single component spanning multiple sheets
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:17:35 pm »
I'm a little confused  :-//. What do you mean by create a new schematic part? I made one that has 100 pins.
I know what buses are. I've used them in Quartus, and was planning to do it in Altium as well. e.g MCU_GPIO_PORT_[7..0]
If bus/network connections are a better way, I wouldn't know where to start.

What would be a good way to do JTAG section. Power section ( Regulator, VCC, GND , Bypass Caps )

Thanks

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: single component spanning multiple sheets
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »
when you create a schematic symbol there is a menu option to create a new part in an existing symbol.
that is how you partition a device into multiple schematic symbols. you can then place individual parts on different pages.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf