Author Topic: Finding replacement for old amplifier IC  (Read 2642 times)

Offline rexxarTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
Finding replacement for old amplifier IC
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:16 pm »
Hello all, I've been trying to hunt down a replacement amplifier IC for my car's radio. Of course they have custom part numbers (thanks a lot, Chrysler), but I'm pretty sure it's a Philips TDA1552Q. It may also be the 1557, which has a higher gain. I'm not sure.

Thing is, these chips were last manufactured in the 90s, so they're not available anywhere. I tried searching for a replacement, but I've not been able to find anything. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not adverse to modding in two single amps in place of the double-amp Philips part, I don't know if that would be easier than trying to find a direct replacement.

And yeah, I could put a newer, better stereo in there, but I'd have to use a blanking plate because it's one of those really tall radios. I really don't want to use a blanking plate, I think it looks bad to have a radio floating in the middle of a big blank square.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Finding replacement for old amplifier IC
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:55 pm »
One day  I shall put up on ebay.  I think I have th3m somewhere.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
Wouldn't a double din radio fit? I am sure that both Scosche and Metra make kits and wiring harnesses for your vehicle.  Personally, I would choose Scosche over Metra for the dash kit.  I've never liked the way you have to completely build up the Metra kits.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:23 am »
Have you tried scouring the salvage yards for a like model radio?  Those things (eg radios, cassette players, etc are a dime-a-dozen at those places...unless they're new-ish anyways.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline electronupdate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:06 am »
ebay shows 7 vendors selling this part ranging from $5 to $14.

Offline rexxarTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:46:16 am »
Have you tried scouring the salvage yards for a like model radio?  Those things (eg radios, cassette players, etc are a dime-a-dozen at those places...unless they're new-ish anyways.

No, I completely forgot about that.  |O  When/if I have some money, I'll go cannibalize another car; I need a few various bits and pieces.

In case anyone wants a life lesson: Don't get a 16 year old car and attend college in the US. That is, unless you don't mind not eating for a few weeks. (This week's unexpected expense was new brake cylinders.  :rant:)

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:53:09 am »

In case anyone wants a life lesson: Don't get a 16 year old car and attend college in the US. That is, unless you don't mind not eating for a few weeks. (This week's unexpected expense was new brake cylinders.  :rant:)
They are like around $20 at the major auto parts stores, or half(or less) that at rockauto.com. They only take a couple of hours to replace.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf