Author Topic: Philips SensoTouch Electric Razor teardown  (Read 4412 times)

Offline sonnytigerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is pretty enjoyable, eh?
Philips SensoTouch Electric Razor teardown
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:32 pm »

Surprisingly interesting believe it or not, very nice construction quality and engineering effort went into this guy.
Someone have a suggestion for what the chip is?

Thanks for watching!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Philips SensoTouch Electric Razor teardown
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:59:21 pm »
Phillips changed a drive mechanism, those have stayed the same for close to half a century! Must have been a massive change but the actual head design is the same as the original. Very good at what it does, and works wet or dry just as well. Rough cutter noise is because it is new, the blades will finish off the lapping and make themselves super sharp with another month or so of use, and will then run quieter. Those blades give a very good shave.

I took apart my one as the 2 AA cells inside had died, and replaced them with NimH cells. Not 2 months later the charge controller IC popped it's top. Looked up the chip and found out that that chip has an impressive input voltage range, from 10VDC to 265VAC without a problem, and that it will charge the battery via a tiny transformer ( smaller than a sugar cube) from that, having a built in switching transistor. Not going to look to buy one so took the charge circuit out and added a simple charge limiter resistor and took an external wall wart to give it 10V or so as charge current. Only issue was the charge indication is now non operative as the micro now no longer has input. Just the one red battery low led flashes now on power off. No big issue.

I took apart a Panasonic shaver with a linear actuator motor that was very different, but still has the same multiple seals on it. Had to replace the original special custom AA cells after they had died after 20 years of use. Special custom long pin on each end, simply replaced by taking 2 tagged cells and rolling the tabs to fit in the slots and application of a little force.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:58:34 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I am glad it will shave better because it doesn't seem to right now. Little circles, right?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »
Yes, you should use it wet, and I would recommend using Prep shaving cream, not the stuff in a can but the tub. A small amount works well ( about 1/4 teaspoon or less) and gives a good shave. Shave in lines and generally go with the grain of the hair. Little circles will cut off and lead to ingrown hairs. Stretch the skin under the cutter to pop the hair out and you will be fine.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:17:37 pm »
OK thanks for the advice, guess this is a shaving forum now :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf