Author Topic: What is the importance of "Assembly?  (Read 5834 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
What is the importance of "Assembly?
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »
i'm confused as to what purpose it is? both Altium and Diptrace have this as in attached picture. what its purpose to a pcb project and is it really necessary? thanks.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: What is the importance of "Assembly?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:18:38 pm »
You can generate a testpoint report which shows the locations of all pads/vias tagged as testpoints.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »
thats it? its sole and only purpose?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »
thats it? its sole and only purpose?
Very important feature !
It lets you mark a testpoint for two things
: bare board testing
: assembled board testing on a bed-of-nails tester

Hobbyists have no use for this , but any serious board work requires it

You may say bit what about jtag and boundary scan then ? Well how do you tell where the testpoints are for boundary scan ? And what about analog ?
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »
ok i get it thanks!

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »
I still think that vias should not be used for testpoints, in fact, via should be covered with soldermask.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 06:45:53 pm »
well maybe i'm myself got drifted, my actual question is the word "Assembly" not has something to do with "test point". even in the diptrace it has this "Assy or Assembly" word (and no test point mentioned). so i wonder where is this assembly will be used. maybe i should post this in diptrace section. but i think i get it as well, assembly probably is another extra layer added for the purpose of "we can do whatever with it" including test point for post pcb fabrication or during assembly or testing process.

Offline slowaudio

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »
I still think that vias should not be used for testpoints, in fact, via should be covered with soldermask.

qft!

Offline luky315

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:11 am »
Don't cover your Vias with soldermask. It can cause troubles and is NOT RECOMMENDED by a lot of PCB Manufacturers.

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
Don't cover your Vias with soldermask. It can cause troubles and is NOT RECOMMENDED by a lot of PCB Manufacturers.

I'd say not covering them up can cause way more trouble (solder bridging etc.). Can you elaborate? I've seen quite a few PCBs and I've practically never seen a PCB with non-masked vias.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline luky315

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
I recommend reading IPC-4761... Simple via tenting is not a good idea if you need reliable PCBs

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 03:29:43 pm »
Double sided tenting with dry film is perfectly acceptable , even according to ipc4761.
Provided that
-the material in the hole is not bare copper
-there is no meltable material (meltable during reflow) in the hole

Standard processes use tinflash (chemically grown tin) in the holes so that is not a violation of the above rule.

Tenting should not be done on wide vias. 12 to 15 mil drill is perfectly tentable
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:56 am »
Additionally, tenting power vias is a bad idea, not only can't you solder fill them, but they may experience thermal cycling, which may cause intermittent connections, not as much of an issue with untented vias.
For signal traces, i have no issues though.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 02:16:27 pm »
Tenting should not be done on wide vias. 12 to 15 mil drill is perfectly tentable

That is stating the obvious. My standard via size is 0.35mm which is perfectly tentable. Above 0.6mm tenting is not 100% coverage, in that case it should be avoided. Also teniting must be on both sides. If a manufacturer cannot make proper tenting for small holes, that is not a design problem.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:21 pm »
Above 0.6mm tenting is not 100% coverage, in that case it should be avoided. Also teniting must be on both sides. If a manufacturer cannot make proper tenting for small holes, that is not a design problem.
Stupid question: why should it be avoided? Because 0.99 is a smaller number than 1.00, or because of something that impacts the reliability of your pcb. Reason I ask: for some non-crititical PCB's I did I tested a couple of larger vias. And as you say, those are not 100% covered. But inspecting them with a microscope I cannot really see anything where I'd think "gee, that might cause failure XYZ later on". So suppose you are not getting 100% coverage, and are not relying on it to be 100% covered, what is the most likely problem? Moisture? Corrosion?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf