Author Topic: Evenly spacing components along an arc/circle  (Read 6972 times)

Offline SpinLockTopic starter

Evenly spacing components along an arc/circle
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:33:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to clone this board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10407? using Altium. I have managed to place all of my LEDs along an arc/circle but I'm not sure how to ensure that there is uniform spacing between them along the arc. I can eyeball the spacing but I don't feel that will be precise enough. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Also, I need a large hole in the middle of the board for mounting purposes. What is the best way to implement this in Altium?

Thanks

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: Evenly spacing components along an arc/circle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:09 am »
Also, I need a large hole in the middle of the board for mounting purposes. What is the best way to implement this in Altium?

I *think* the last time I needed to do this was to simply create an arc (10 thou line thickness) on the keep-out layer of the required radius.  You do need to mention to the PCB fab house that the board has a cut-out.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Evenly spacing components along an arc/circle
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:37:02 am »
simply define a polar grid with the correct radius and off you go. parts will snap to the grid.

if you don;t have the updated altium with poar grids : here is an easy way to do it

on a mechanical layer : draw a little cross ( 10 mil by 10 mil. ) then draw an arc with the wanted radius using the cross as the centerpoint.
place 1 led
copy the little cross and place it centered on one of the pads of the led.
X-A
S-I and select the cross on the led pad
O-P and change rotation angle to whatever you need
E-C - click on the cross in the center of the circle

DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE

E-P hit space bar to take one rotation step and hit enter
E-P-SPACe-ENTER
E-P-SPAVE-ENTER

and so on as many times as needed.

now delete the circle.

place led's the led's pin 1 will 'snap' to where the little crosses are. when moving the led hitting the spacebar will rotate the part with the right rotation as well

to define the inner large circle : place a circle on the keepout layer. put in th emech comments to use keepout as board contour.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: photovore

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf