Author Topic: 3D Printer yet?  (Read 358253 times)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: 3D Printer yet?
« Reply #1025 on: June 22, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »
So the question becomes what was faulty, the SKR, the LCD, or the firmware configuration of one of the two?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #1026 on: June 22, 2020, 07:57:16 pm »
Well, as the SKR mini appears to have a EXP1 port, I imagine one COULD test it with a standard RAMPS LCD. But I don't know if the E3 LCD/Encoder pinout is the same as the standard RAMPS pinout...?

I suppose another alternative would be to try running it without the TS at all, and control via PronterFace... But I tend to agree that the first course of action should be to get all new HW on the way; let the vendor figure it out.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:50 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 08:10:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: June 22, 2020, 08:52:18 pm »
Well, as the SKR mini appears to have a EXP1 port, I imagine one COULD test it with a standard RAMPS LCD. But I don't know if the E3 LCD/Encoder pinout is the same as the standard RAMPS pinout...?

It's a drop-in replacement..

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: June 22, 2020, 09:15:41 pm »

I know that the whole shebang is supposed to be a drop-in replacement; I wasn't sure if the mainboard alone is. The pics are a bit confusing what with the "Normal LCD" and "CR-10 LCD" ports on the back of the LCD.  :-//

Remember, I've never actually owned a CReality 3DP... until the CR-6 gets delivered, that is. ;) All I've ever had is the cheap knock-offs.  :-DD

IIRC, EXP1 is the LCD/Encoder and EXP2 is the SD card socket. Wasn't sure how they did all that over a single serial connection.  :o

mnem

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: June 22, 2020, 09:26:23 pm »
I know that the whole shebang is supposed to be a drop-in replacement; I wasn't sure if the mainboard alone is. The pics are a bit confusing what with the "Normal LCD" and "CR-10 LCD" ports on the back of the LCD.  :-//

It is. The Creality pinout consolidates a few bits by using an SPI display with no SD.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1031 on: June 22, 2020, 10:19:44 pm »
So the question becomes what was faulty, the SKR, the LCD, or the firmware configuration of one of the two?

Well I used xrunners config.h and config_adv.h for the SKR, he told me which LCD firmware he installed, I installed same one (didn’t need to compile the LCD firmware). He has same machine, same SKR, same LCD

Works totally fine for xrunner.

I also tried it with the firmware supplied with the SKR and LCD, same problems occurred.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: June 22, 2020, 11:08:28 pm »
Now you're trying to apply LOGIC to a HOBBY... have you completely lost all reason...?  :-DD

mnem
I only print what the voices tell me to.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1033 on: June 23, 2020, 11:06:02 am »
Dropped the faulty board off yesterday at about 3pm yesterday, refund credited to my Amazon account already.

So, do I buy another, or something else.  I see they now have a v2 board thats £12 more.  I see that has an extra z port which I doubt I'll ever need.

Or do I go for something completely different (if such a thing exists).

So far I've found a Creality silent board but haven't read good things about it (I don't think its 32 bit either) and the two SKR Mini's from Bigtree

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1034 on: June 23, 2020, 03:24:29 pm »
Interestingly, I asked the same question in the Creality face book group.

A few of the replies

"I had 2 skr mini e3 had 1 with a faulty board when I ordered from amazon and the replacement had a faulty screen so returned them and got the ezboard from th3d"

"I had a faulty skr mini too but I was able to get a refund immediately and bought another one."

"I read so many broken skr mini reviews, I just went creality silent board and happy with my choice"

"There’s the Th3d board, but I don’t recommend th3d products."

"Go with a duet3d WiFi board 64bit processor and all wireless!"

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1035 on: June 23, 2020, 03:53:40 pm »
Much as there will undoubtedly be some marketing BS some of you might be interested in Signing a few hours of your life away (with a spare email account  ::) ) for this Webinar on Siemens / Markforged Additive Manufacturing including continuous Carbon Fiber insertion  8)

https://emailing.traceparts.com/partners/Markforged/2020/200623/APAC/2020_Q1_2_Siemens_Innovation___100_WebinarAPAC.html worth a Read regardless.

It is on the 25th of June so check the local time. Think I will be signing up for a listen.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2020, 04:07:49 pm »
Interestingly, I asked the same question in the Creality face book group.

A few of the replies

"I had 2 skr mini e3 had 1 with a faulty board when I ordered from amazon and the replacement had a faulty screen so returned them and got the ezboard from th3d"

"I had a faulty skr mini too but I was able to get a refund immediately and bought another one."

"I read so many broken skr mini reviews, I just went creality silent board and happy with my choice"

"There’s the Th3d board, but I don’t recommend th3d products."

"Go with a duet3d WiFi board 64bit processor and all wireless!"

Well, they're low cost boards, so they're probably not fully factory tested.. they work fine, though.

As for Facebook, well, Duet boards aren't 64-bit and their wifi is known to suck before it goes in a metal box, so that's how much stock I'd put in Facebook comments. Duet boards are really nice, though.

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: June 23, 2020, 04:42:46 pm »
Unfortunately, hobbyist 3DP has been all but taken over by the "China-direct" invasion, just as has the "model aviation" hobby. Part & parcel of this is that even with the name brands, one has to practice a higher-than-usual level of personal fault tolerance.  :-DD

The bottom line is that we pay for our toys in one of two ways: either with our hard-earned $$$ on boutique/turnkey solutions, or by expending our time and patience on parts which typically mostly work but whose QC roughly follows the 80:20 ratio and level of concern expressed in the Pareto Principle;)

Myself, I'd probably buy the same part again. I might look for a different vendor on Amazon/Fulfilled by Amazon in hopes of finding the part from a different manufacturing lot, but I would NOT be willing to give up the convenience of Amazon's liberal return policy.

Take a look at this video showing just how much bang/buck you CAN get from these sources, if you have the experience or are willing to learn from guys like this:

mnem

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #1038 on: June 23, 2020, 05:53:55 pm »
Thanks, I seem to have the choice of getting the 1.2 from the same company or the v2 from a different one. 

Decided to go for the newer v2 as it will be here by Friday

Will get the screen at a later date, I think it's now best to only change one thing at a time.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1039 on: June 23, 2020, 05:59:15 pm »
Bear in mind you'll need to use the bugfix-2.0.x branch of Marlin to get support for that board. You'll finally have two controlled fans, though, downside, no permanently on fan header.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: June 23, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »

Sure beats having to do this tho.  :-DD    And I can't blame him for being a bit gunshy about the TouchScreen; I've taken a peek inside the nuts & volts of how MINE works.  :scared:

It uses the same module discussed here: https://bleughbleugh.wordpress.com/2018/07/11/wanhao-duplicator-9-d9-technical-stuff-part-deux-the-lcd-part-number/

mnem

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: June 24, 2020, 03:56:24 am »
Seems a very long time ago now but I downloaded this base model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3640994/files and using Fusion 360 to converted the Mesh into a Brep (solid model) then editing it and adding a top to suit whatever I wanted on a rail.

So if it is of use to anyone feel free to play with or download the Sonoff Pow version and make your own custom DIN mounts by tweaking the model. https://a360.co/3erMNv2 For those who just want to print it download the STL from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B3Nr8Hnn-696KgA-bjZMbi1_d8pivpve/view?usp=sharing Print it on it's side! The second lower hole isn't in the case but I recommend drilling it and using two.

Past use shot below too still working great and no signs of issues.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1042 on: June 24, 2020, 12:43:16 pm »
Here we go again...

Thumbnail:

When clicked:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: June 24, 2020, 04:02:34 pm »
Most Strange the only thing in common with the two posts of mine is there is spaces in the file names that broke. In the TEA thread when I reuploaded them I removed the space  :-// Something has changed I suspect.

EDIT  :-+ @GNIF - found debugged and resolved https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3104210/#msg3104210
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:02:42 am by beanflying »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: June 25, 2020, 12:10:19 am »

I am SO jealous that I didn't get to be part of this egregious misuse of 3DP and drone power!!! :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: June 26, 2020, 01:07:16 am »

Fun, frivolous AND useful print number 57: Spacers for the flight controller on my tiny FPV quadcopter.

This is getting into the realm where the minimum line width of a 0.40 nozzle actually affects how it can print; the walls of the thin part are only .4mm thick.

But... they WILL go on the 2mm studs that make the stack as long as I screw them on. Win-win, says ! >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:37:51 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: June 26, 2020, 01:44:09 am »
So the question is did you use the Revolve function or the Extrude function in Fusion?  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: June 26, 2020, 04:01:18 am »
I did it the lazy way. Sketched 3 concentric lines, a couple pulls, a quick chamfer. A minute or two at most, even for me.  ;)

Problems with limits of a 0.40 nozzle vs fit on tiny, densely populated PCBs now have me on redesign #3. I got the ID of the sleeve good on the 2nd try; I kept having to make the large shoulder smaller and thicker to make clearance for this or that which I couldn't see until I was actually fitting the board.  |O

Rendering STL now; then off to make another test print.

mnem

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: June 26, 2020, 04:58:54 am »
What I love about 3D printing is the speed and ease of those test fits.  Using conventional shop tools the prototype takes about as long, but much more effort.  Subtractive mods to the prototype are faster than printing an update, but making a second copy is just as bad as the first.  And additive mods mean starting over. Once you nail the design down almost no effort is required to get more copies off the printer.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: June 26, 2020, 05:57:38 am »
What I love about 3D printing is the speed and ease of those test fits.  Using conventional shop tools the prototype takes about as long, but much more effort.  Subtractive mods to the prototype are faster than printing an update, but making a second copy is just as bad as the first.  And additive mods mean starting over. Once you nail the design down almost no effort is required to get more copies off the printer.

LOL... yeah. :-+ In this case, 4.5 minutes a copy. Took me a minute or two each just to deburr with a X-Acto knife. :-DD

With a quad this small, you have to print a full set each iteration; a mm or two one way another makes a world of difference. :-+

Yes, that is a 20mm Cal Cube it's sitting on.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:23:35 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf