Author Topic: Voltcraft VC870 - Any experiences?  (Read 33143 times)

Offline janurikaTopic starter

Voltcraft VC870 - Any experiences?
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:43:31 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the Voltcraft VC870? (http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/124603?insert=89)

I know that the VC8xx corresponds to the UT60x series but fuses are definitely different, better even than the UT61x series (see back side photo), and also the VC870 does power metering and I could not find that feature in the UT60x and UT61x series.
Only the UT71E does that, but that one corresponds to the VC940.
So I cannot find the pair of VC870 among UNI-T and there are no really reviews of it on the internet.

I would be happy to hear about it if anyone knows any details or had any experiences with it.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Voltcraft VC870 - Any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »
This looks like a new series. Maybe Wytnucls has some more information on it from his recent visit to Uni-Trend.

If they are really starting to put proper protection in their meters I would really like to see this one. It looks like a mix of the 61 and 71 series with better input protection. Lets hope we see the insides of one soon.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:30:25 am »
Conrad, through their brand Voltcraft, have most of their meters made in China to German specifications, mostly in partnership with UNI-T.
I have little information about them, as they are only meant for the European market.
There is also a version with an OLED screen, if I'm not mistaken (VC890).
Glad to see they are using exactly the same fuses I installed in my UT71B.  8)

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/124600/VOLTCRAFT-VC-890-OLED-DMM-Digital-Multimeter-with-Software-included-CAT-IV-600V-CAT-III-1000V

No independent testing, but here is the conformity document:
http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/100000-124999/124600-ce-01-en-VOLTCRAFT_VC890_OLED_DMM.pdf

Some interesting safety features:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:14:45 am by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:42:36 am »
It would be nice if Uni-T actually is taking safety ratings seriously now. This meter is a contender but at its price it needs to be better than the Agilents. If I were going to pay the same price as an Agilent for a Uni-T I think I would not be buying a Uni-T unless there were compelling features to do so.

I wonder if Uni-T will be releasing their own version of the Conrad series.

I hold little value in the conformity document from Conrad as they had these for all the previous Uni-T models and we know at least one of them did not meet its claims for CAT ratings.

Offline janurikaTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:24:10 am »
I agree that it would need compelling features. Power metering is one such feature for me. If it is a good product I would buy it at this price.

But I don't really trust Uni-T, so I will only buy it if I can see a review or someone confirms its quality.

Even though I value and like Agilent much better, I could not find an Agilent multimeter with this feature, and also they are definitely priced higher.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:49:48 pm »
I hold little value in the conformity document from Conrad as they had these for all the previous Uni-T models and we know at least one of them did not meet its claims for CAT ratings.
Is that also known to be true for the versions sold in Germany? Which model is it, by the way?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:03:48 pm »
The old regulations didn't specify HRC ceramic fuses for multimeters yet, so the document was probably legal at the time.

Here is a video I shot of a F (fast) M205 10A 250VAC glass fuse subjected to 230VAC, as if installed in a multimeter. The 71D has better FF (very fast) glass fuses. I used wires with a total resistance of 1.5Ohms to simulate probes and leads. I guesstimate 150A went through that fuse. I did run the same test later (off camera) with the actual probes and leads supplied with the meter (0.07 Ohms), with the same effect. No glass shattering:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:26:11 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »
Is that also known to be true for the versions sold in Germany? Which model is it, by the way?

The one example is the UT61E. It was rated at CATIII/1000V and CATIV/600V. This was with glass fuses rated for 250V but as Wytnucls says this was made with the older CAT rating requirements. However the UT61E was upgraded in order to meet GS requirements. The fuses were upgraded, but so was the input protection on the voltage jack. Even with these updates the CAT ratings were dropped to CATII/600V and CATIII/300V. Independent of the fuses which could have been upgraded to any type, the meter design could not meet its original ratings even with better input protection on the voltage input. Not only that but the ratings were dropped to the point where the meter went from being safe for all uses (up to its voltage limitations) to only be safe for use in the wall socket in a room away from the fuse panel. Therefore the logical conclusion is that the original rating was a lie regardless of the fuse types installed.

Offline em132

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »
The one example is the UT61E. It was rated at CATIII/1000V and CATIV/600V.
SPECIFICALLY on the V-Ohm jack. It is rated at 250V on A/mA, and the silkscreening reflects this.

This was with glass fuses rated for 250V
The non-GS UT61 series ALL have Bussmann BS1362 HRC/sand-filled ceramic fuses--rated at 250V, yes, but they are most certainly NOT "glass."

Even with these updates the CAT ratings were dropped to CATII/600V and CATIII/300V
Because they used 600V (690V) fuses and CAT ratings need to reflect the whole of the meter's jacks (YOU agreed with this yourself in that teardown thread!).

Look at these new CAT-3/4 Voltcrafts, which have top-line 1000V SIBA fuses... Do you see separate voltage ratings for the A/mA jacks, as you do with the non-GS 61's?

Independent of the fuses which could have been upgraded to any type
Any type? Really? The price difference between 600V and 1000V HCR fuses--TWO of them--can easily be ~$10. You think this fact was lost on UNI-T's bean counters?

If UNI-T isn't aiming the 61's at the CAT-4 "Fluke/Agilent" market, then why opt for the more expensive 1000V fuses when a CAT-3 rating probably was acceptable to them, from a marketing standpoint?

the meter design could not meet its original ratings even with better input protection on the voltage input
This is 100% SPECULATION on your part. Always has been, always will be.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:41:53 pm by em132 »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:52:36 pm »
I stand corrected. Yes the UT61E has ceramic fuses. It is the UT71X series that has the glass fuses. Yes you are also right that the fuse price might have been the deciding factor in the meter upgrade and perhaps that is why they decided to down rate the meter to the ratings they did.

Even if you take this as me being a completely biased idiot, their market was originally to be in the CATIV and CATIII high energy meter market or they would not have labelled the UT61X and the UT71X series as such. The UT71E does not meet its claimed CAT ratings either. Nor did they label the current jacks to indicate that they should be limited to 250V, and yes they are glass fuses.

So while you have a point and my logic on this point of the UT61E is flawed, it is still my opinion. I should not have said that it was fact in this light.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:56:02 pm by Lightages »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:56:12 pm »
This is how I understand this latest CAT rating system works:
At the end of a battery of tests, there is only one CAT rating for the whole meter.
It is derived from the results of two specific tests:
1. Volt/Ohms ranges: High pulsed voltage whose strength varies with CAT rating sought. Damage must be contained inside enclosure.
2. A/mA ranges: Double the CAT rating highest voltage must be applied for one minute to the jacks with ruptured fuses in place to confirm no arcing on fuses, holders, jacks and traces.
The worst results will determine the final CAT rating of the meter and fuses will be chosen to match the final highest voltage rating.
Fuses must be HRC and the amps jacks can't be marked with voltage limits, only amps limits.

So the 61GS was downgraded because it failed to meet requirements for a higher CAT rating.
HRC fuses are not always expensive, especially when bought in bulk.
The highest CAT rating is always sought, as a low rating will affect sales.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-siba-fuse.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:48:19 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:28:52 pm »
No,    em132 could be correct. It is possible that the UT61E could meet the higher CAT ratings with the right fuses in place but the bean counters didn't want to raise the cost of the meter to do it. That is also assuming that the different fuses do cost differently enough to make this decision.

But.....

My UT61E has a manufacture year of 2011

The requirements for measuring instruments from the ISA 2004 :
"16.2  Multifunction meters and similar equipment
Multifunction meters and similar equipment shall not cause a HAZARD in any possible combination
of RATED input voltages, and settings of function and range controls. Possible HAZARDS include
electric shock, fire, arcing and explosion.
Conformity is checked by the following test.
The maximum RATED voltage specified for any function is applied to each pair of TERMINALS in
turn, in every combination of function and range controls.The test source connected to the
equipment measuring TERMINALS during this test is limited to3.6 kVA for measurement category I
or measurement category II. For measurement category III or measurement category IV, the test
circuit has to be capable of delivering 30kVA.
During and after the tests, no HAZARD shall arise.
Multifunction meters and similar equipment are to be tested by changing the Function/Range Selector to all
possible settings while connected to the maximum rated source.”

It is obvious that the UT61E cannot meet those specs and never could.

There are requirements for markings too but I need to dig those out too. So maybe it is a fact and not just my opinion.

reference thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cat-ratings-and-interpretation/

EDIT:
OK, I hijacked this thread a bit in discussing the failings of earlier Uni-Ts. My point has been to say that I would really like to see these new Conrad meters and their interiors. I would be very happy if they are really built correctly. If they are, and to the point of the OP's question, then they might be great meters for their price.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:43:29 am by Lightages »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:13 am »
Unless someone buys a VC870, VC880, or VC890, I don't think we will learn much about these things. Conrad declined to send me one for review. Either they are afraid of something, don't think I am worthy of a review sample, or they don't think a review is worth it for them in sales.

Offline Leon

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 07:19:55 pm »
I have a VC890. Great meter, lovely display with huge viewing angles. Ceramic fuses, battery compartment separated from the rest, unable to open the meter without removing the leads, etc.: it all points to at least a reasonably safe meter.
It measures spot on compared to the Fluke at work, while the price was much lower than the Agilents which in turn cost much less than the Flukes. I bought it because it provides the accuracy I needed for a fair price, along with an uA range for electronics, a good display plus an (almost) free clamp meter add-on for measurements on my PV installation at home. So for me it's like a Swiss army knife type of DMM.

What I didn't like were the test leads that are included: they're almost certainly made for electric work instead of for the electronics I wanted to use them for. A replacement set with finer tip solved that problem.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
Leon:

Any chance of you doing a mini-review and/or tear down so we can see how this thing works and is built?

Offline Leon

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:51 pm »
I can certainly snap some pictures and write some text about it. What would you like to see covered?
Note: it may take a while as I'm pretty busy right now.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:27 pm »
If you could, take some general images of the outside, with the battery/fuse access door off, and take it apart and show the insides. Maybe say some things about the update rate, auto ranging speed, and continuity test response. That should give us an idea what it is like.

Offline Leon

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:00 pm »
I promised to take some pictures but like I said: busy, busy, busy. I'd love to be able to say more about the update rate, auto ranging speed, etc. but the truth is I can only compare it the Fluke 89IV at work. I don't collect DMMs, I simply work with them and I'm only measuring resistance and VDC most of the time. Compared to the Fluke at work, the VC890 is faster on most parts except things like the continuity measurement: the buzzer doesn't always work, but the measurements do show the short in the display. Judging from Dave's video the VC890 does seem to buzz a lot faster than the Agilent U1253.

On to the pictures:
I ordered my VC890 with a VC-511 clampadapter (for about 9 euro extra) and use different leads.

The box contains the meter itself, a temperature sensor, an optical to USB connection cable, CD with software, leaflet and 2 sets of leads: one standard, one very short with crocs.

The display is what sets this unit apart from the normal UNI-T models: it's an OLED display (much like the Agilent U1253). Update rate is good, esp. the bar works like a joy. As shown, the meter is perfectly readable from an angle. The brightness of the display also makes this meter very easy to use in dim light conditions.

The rear shows the optical connector for the USB cable, and of course the door.

The door slides down, and through some latches you can't open the door while there are leads connected and leads can't be inserted while the door is open. A simple but effective method to deter those stupid enough to want to touch the fuses while measuring 1000V.  ;D

As said, the fuses are ceramic plus they are of the correct rating. The meter comes with a 9V GP alkaline battery, but it can also be used with a 9V rechargable lithium pack (which Conrad also sells). The type of battery can be selected from the menu.

With the back removed you can see the latches, some shielding and padding for the CR2032 RTC battery.

I did a partial teardown, and this meter is built around a standard 60000 count DMM chip from Cyrustek: the ES51997. See: http://www.cyrustek.com.tw/spec/ES51997F.pdf

A few detail snaps of the inside, chip, fuses and that's it.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
Wow! It looks like Uni-T has finally made a multimeter with some real though for the input protection.  :scared:

It certainly looks like a nice meter. Unfortunately it costs $200 USD and Conrad wants an additional $67 to ship to me!!!

Offline SyncOnGreen

• What the Fluke!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »
Excellent information on the Voltcraft VC890!! Thanks very much Leon!
I am very tempted to buy this DMM @ Conrad, as a replacement for my old, now defective Tektronix  :-DMM and is within my budget.

However, I still have a few questions that also might be of interest to others:
1. How is battery life compared to the Agilent OLED DMM's (8 Hours)?
2. Is the OLED display of the VC980 visible outdoors in daylight?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:54:09 pm by SyncOnGreen »
It's Nice To Be Important, But it's More Important To Be Nice!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 05:17:15 pm »
I know nothing about this VC870 nor any of the new Conrads. But I can safely say that most people would be happier in the long run with the LCD models. They will have better readability outside, better battery life, and every Uni-T I have seen has had a great LCD display.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:52:31 pm by Lightages »

Offline SyncOnGreen

• What the Fluke!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »
Thanks very much for your valued advice and opinion LightAges.  :-+
But given the specs (other than the OLED display) of the Voltcraft VC890 and Leon being very happy with it, I'm still interested in buying this meter...
Conrad offers a 10% rebate over the next few days, so that comes as a bonus!

Offline Leon

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 05:46:12 pm »
Excellent information on the Voltcraft VC890!! Thanks very much Leon!
I am very tempted to buy this DMM @ Conrad, as a replacement for my old, now defective Tektronix  :-DMM and is within my budget.

However, I still have a few questions that also might be of interest to others:
1. How is battery life compared to the Agilent OLED DMM's (8 Hours)?
2. Is the OLED display of the VC980 visible outdoors in daylight?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
1. Battery life is unspecified. I'm still at the first battery but I've just used it a 4 to 5 hours. In any case I wouldn't worry about battery life, as this model also takes the 9V Lithium rechargables. So if you really want to use it 24x7, buy 2 9V packs for it and the charger, and you are set (if you change the pack setting to rechargeble lithium that is).
2. The VC890's display is certainly readable outside, but I haven't tested it with the full sun directly at it. That's kind of hard given the current weather. ;)

Offline SyncOnGreen

• What the Fluke!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 05:53:46 pm »
Thanks very much Leon!  :clap:

Given the discount Conrad offers, I might follow your suggestion and order a few rechargeables, just in case I want to do some long-time data logging.
Yes, let's sure hope for some sun over here in the Netherlands! :-)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 10:56:13 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf