Author Topic: Amprobe HD160C disassembly (Was: Any experience with an Amprobe HD160C?)  (Read 11280 times)

Offline Hank77Topic starter

Hey folks, new to the forum here.

I recently went hunting for a new multimeter (or two).  I've had a Mastech MY-68 for about 15 years, and decided it was time for something better quality.  I use Fluke 179's in the lab at work (mostly continuity and voltage measurements, occasional temp and mA current measurements).  For home, I figured I would like a meter to cover automotive/hvac, and one for microcontroller based low voltage/current measurements.  I *thought* I wanted some vintage of a Fluke 83/85/87, but with a lot of people looking for those meters, it was hard to quantify a "good deal".

Long story short, I ended up getting a GREAT deal in an Amprobe HD160C.  I jumped into it a bit blind, not seeing any real reviews on it.  Does anyone have experience with this meter?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:33:58 am by Hank77 »

Re: Any experience with an Amprobe HD160C?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:00:14 pm »
It showed up last night, and I took a quick look at it.

It feels VERY solid in hand.  I don't have a Fluke 27 or anything that size to compare to, but it is a large multimeter.  I popped it open briefly, and because of the IP67 rating, I didn't delve too far into it yet.  So far, it feels like a fairly high quality piece of equipment.

One interesting observation... since it only has three inputs, there is only one fuse.  I took a peek under the fuse cover, and the fuse is massive!  It's probably 2 1/2" to 3" long.

If there's any interest in seeing the guts, please let me know, and I'd be happy to post some photos of what I find.

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:12:39 pm »
It would be great to see some photos of the inside.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:30:22 am »
Sure. We'd love to see it!

I think it's a old meter but probably very nice.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:09 am »
A bit of background, that I could dig up at least.  There was a very similar looking line of meters called the Wavetek HDxxx series.  I also found some obscure references to Wavetek Meterman branded versions too with a different button layout.  It's still currently available new (it's on Amazon, and Amprobe's site).  Honestly, I still can't believe I landed it for $35 shipped!  It didn't include the temp probe, and it came with some dull HP test leads, but luckily, I already had some spares sitting around.

A few interesting observations about this multimeter:
  • All the screws are self-tapping 2mm hex (with a provision for a key in the back of the holster)
  • Screws to access the interior are on the front of the meter
  • Backlight isn't too bright, but is a soothing color, similar to Timex Indiglo
  • Fuse is rated for 1500V 2A
  • Bargraph is pretty fast, continuity test isn't as fast as the Fluke 179 I use at work, autoranging is average

If you search on Amprobe HD160c on Youtube, there are some interesting videos (one Amprobe promo, another is a short torture test).

I'm short on time right now, but I'll update this thread if and when I decide to dismantle more of it.  Let me know if anyone wants to see anything in particular with this meter.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:32:14 am by Hank77 »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Amprobe HD160C disassembly (Was: Any experience with an Amprobe HD160C?)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:01:50 am »
It's a wavetek original design until fluke bought them over (Which means they are in the evil danaher pipeline) and then continued making them under amprobe's name
AND HOLY SHIT THAT'S THE LONGEST FUSE I'VE SEEN IN A DMM

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:27:22 am »
An 8mmx65mm fuse that only seems to be used in this range of meters... might be hard to get replacements in a few years!

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:18 am »
An 8mmx65mm fuse that only seems to be used in this range of meters... might be hard to get replacements in a few years!

Agreed!  I see a few on sale on eBay.  I'm thinking of stocking up!

It's a wavetek original design until fluke bought them over (Which means they are in the evil danaher pipeline) and then continued making them under amprobe's name
AND HOLY SHIT THAT'S THE LONGEST FUSE I'VE SEEN IN A DMM

Yeah, that's about the same reaction I had when I first saw it  :o

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:39 pm »
Not a fan of two board construction, but I guess it works?

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »
Is that a hex key under the rubber cover?  :-+ To open it's own screws on the front?

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »
Is that a hex key under the rubber cover?  :-+ To open it's own screws on the front?

Correct.  The key was actually missing, but I had one that fit.  I'm hoping to take it apart some more this weekend.

Offline PhilNY

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »
I work in a small community college taking care of instrument repair & cal for the electrical technology department.
These remind me of the original Beckman HD-310 series and in 1999 I purchased about 40 of the HD110B versions under the meterman name. The one weak point is the plastic switch that has broken on at least 15 of them over the last 14 years under heavy student use, otherwise they have held up and met yearly calibration without any problems. I wish I could find repair parts but no luck with calling meterman or amprobe. Just the old line about repair by replacement. If you are not grinding it back and forth every single day it should be fine.
Phil

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
The one weak point is the plastic switch that has broken on at least 15 of them over the last 14 years under heavy student use, otherwise they have held up and met yearly calibration without any problems. I wish I could find repair parts but no luck with calling meterman or amprobe.
Maybe ModemHead's blog repair on a Beckman will give you some inspiration?

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/beckman-3020-dmm-repair/

Offline PhilNY

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »
Unfortunately the switch is totally different than the original Beckman's. I used to be a Beckman repair tech in the 80's and really appreciated the original design. I have glued the tab back onto the switch and tried to make one, but have been unsuccessful so far. If you look at his pictures you can tell by the back of the switch poking out of the daughter board that the tit is not covered with yellow plastic dust. I took them all apart over the years and put whit lith on the plastic that rubs in the hole, plus aligned the boards and checked for binding, but they still fail regularly - 2 or 3 this semester.

Awesome link though. Thank you very much.
Phil

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor

Is this real? Is it the same multimeter at the end of that video? Well, that long fuse will be hard to buy.  :-[
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

Is this real? Is it the same multimeter at the end of that video? Well, that long fuse will be hard to buy.  :-[

Holy time machine :-).

Yes, that's the same meter I picked up years ago.  Your message reminds me that I should pick up a few fuses before they disappear forever!

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 06:44:16 am »
Supposedly rated CAT IV 1000V, but marked 1500V DC on the voltage jack, which falls into the IEC high voltage regulation scope, so probably in contravention of the regs right there. I don't see a UL listing for that meter. Is there one?
Price reduced at Test Equipment Depot: $280 instead of $384. $312 at amazon. Is it not popular?
There is also the HD110C, with a 2000 count ($200 or 0.10$ a count!).
Wavetek made the HD100/110/130 Heavy Duty line, as they called it.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:21:06 am by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf