Author Topic: Wifi module assembly with pcb  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Mark_R_LTopic starter

Wifi module assembly with pcb
« on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:45 pm »
Hi,

I am running into a problem: i have a pcb ready to be prototyped. But I need a certified (FCC, CE) wifi module (Olimex wifi dev should do) because I don't have the cash and the volume to justify a full pcb certification (volume 5000 max for the first wave and we are talking of a $30 device here).

Now, do someone has a tip on the best and fastest way to connect very quickly the module to the main pcb, without spending a life into it?

Is the only option a pin header and manual solder (5000 devices)?

How did you manage this?

Thanks

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Wifi module assembly with pcb
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »
I cannot say for certain, (haven't faced FCC myself), but could you not have an FCC certified castelation module re flowed on with the rest of your parts?

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
Yes but that is the reflow which is problematic. It is a manual process unless someone tell me otherwise. And it is costly on 5k components.

Maybe the shortest route would be to include a (non certified) Wifi module IC (transceiver) that can be flowed directly on the board and go through the certification by myself. But that is a risky bet (<-> cost of failure).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:05:26 pm by Mark_R_L »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:38:42 pm »
you asked for the fastest not the cheapest.

It would not be a manual process you would treat it like having a qfp package mounted, you buy them in trays, the pick and place machine grabs it by the metal can, places it and it gets reflowed with the rest of the board. They would charge you something to deal with trays instead of reels, (you may be able to find in reels),

Component wise is just going to come down to what costs less. the FCC cert or the component price, from what i have heard i believe it would be the components

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:09 am »
Thanks Rerouter,

I will see what can be done with assemblers then.

Bye!

Offline SVFeingold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:05:36 am »
If you're talking about something like this: https://www.olimex.com/Products/IoT/MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV/open-source-hardware

You simply treat it as you would any other component. I certainly hope you don't intend to solder these by hand unless you have a couple months to spend soldering 5,000 of them...

Considering you have a ready to prototype PCB I'm surprised you haven't chosen a WiFi module yet...or have you? I don't imagine they are quite at the plug-n-play level yet, there will probably be considerable effort in implementing one that may not be transferable if you decide to change to a different module. Something to think about.

Also you do not need a pin header, regular SMD pads will do. The datasheet ought to have a suggested footprint. Many of these types of boards are designed to accept pin headers as well for easy prototyping, but you can ditch them for surface mounting.

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:33:32 am »
If you have modules simimar to those from Telit, they can be reflowed on. But keep an eye on the thermal profile. You don't want to reflow the internals of the module.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »
You might find while the wifi module is certified, that deos not automatically make your device compliant or exempt from further compliance testing. At best it may make the process easier, the quantity is irrelevant.

Offline SVFeingold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:47 pm »
It almost certainly won't be exempt, but you shouldn't need to go through the much more involved and expensive test for intentional radiators.

Offline zeqing

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:18 am »
there is some version of ESP8266 that has the certification...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 12:41:10 am »
You might find while the wifi module is certified, that deos not automatically make your device compliant or exempt from further compliance testing. At best it may make the process easier, the quantity is irrelevant.
An unintentional radiator test is much cheaper and easier to pass than an intentional radiator one. Worse still, intentional radiators need to pass both tests. Having a module that has already passed the most complicated and expensive tests allows for a very nice shortcut, while being fully covered on the regulatory side.

there is some version of ESP8266 that has the certification...
Just be sure to triple check that the certification is real and in all respects relevant to the module at hand. Some manufacturers use made up certifications, certifications that are applicable to other parts or omit vital testing that is required to fully pass the test. You will be held responsible for any missing tests if things hit the fan.

In some parts of the world you really, really do not want to be held accountable for damage or even bodily harm your not fully compliant part has caused. Even though it is not too likely to happen, you don't want to be that one guy it does happen to. You really don't.

Offline SVFeingold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:19 am »
To add to what Mr. Scram said, the unintentional radiator test is not a matter of public record, and AFAIK the FCC is not directly involved. I.e. to verify that you did actually pass someone would need to ask you for the certificate or verify with the testing house that your product actually DID pass, as the FCC does not "give out" certifications for unintentional radiators, rather an accredited testing house will give you a certificate and maintain the record of successful completion.

The intentional radiator certificate, on the other hand, IS one that needs to actually be greenlit by the FCC, and so there should be a public record you can look up. Any certified module will have an FCC ID that you should be able to look up. Of course there is nothing stopping a company from stealing an alternate FCC ID, but...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf