Author Topic: How to solder DIP onto SMD footprint on a commercial PCB.  (Read 12318 times)

Offline johmTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Really fond of Sines & Silicon.
How to solder DIP onto SMD footprint on a commercial PCB.
« on: June 27, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »
The world is flooded with SMD to DIP adapters, but I'd like to solder a custom DIP PIC microcontroller (14 pin) onto an existing unpopulated SOIC footprint (14 pin) in a PCB. The pins don't match at all, so I'd need to rerout each pin. Any ideas on how to approach this without having to build/order a new PCB?

Apologies for the weirdness or how stupid this may sound.

Johm
Assembly is the high level programming for an ASIC design engineer (with no VHDL/Verilog).

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: How to solder DIP onto SMD footprint on a commercial PCB.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:23:15 pm »
Make your own permanent adapter board with strip board, 14 pin IC socket.
Mount this strip board somewhere on the PCB and hand wire each pin to the PCB.

Ugly but i works

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
If you have the firmware, the best solution is to use the PIC with the correct package (most PICs are available in SOIC).

If it is a one-off solution, mount the PIC somewhere on the board and connect each pin individually to the SOIC footprint.

If it needs to be more ruggedized, make a small PCB with castellated vias matching the SOIC footprint and a small SMD connector in the middle, connecting to an external PCB holding the DIP IC using a short FFC or some other high density cable.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:16 pm »
Microchip used to sell transition socket adapters that allowed their DIP footprint ICD/ICE processor emulation headers to be used on SMD footprints.   They discontinued them but the OEM suppliers and their competitors still make many of them or equivalents.   The only ones you'll have problems with finding off-the-shelf is when the DIP and SMD package have different pin counts.

Winslow W9534P 14pin DIP to SOIC/SOJ (available from R.S. Components as 240-6595 ) - not cheap but better than paying salary and overheads for a tech to futz around for an hour with a DIP socket, magnet wire and epoxy putty.

For SOIC-8-N, SOIC-14-N and SOIC-20-N you can probably bodge together a cheaper equivalent with a pair of dual row SMD 0.127mm pitch male and female headers, a bare SOIC to DIP adapter PCB flipped SOIC side down and a DIP socket.   You are going to have to do some digging through connector manufacturers datasheets to find a pair of headers that will fit on a SOIC-N footprint and it depends how much extra pad length you've got. 

The 18 pin PIC PDIP footprint doesn't have a 1:1 mapping to a SOIC footprint.  Those PICs use a SOIC-20-N package with the Vdd and Vss pins (in the middle of each side) doubled up, so you need a custom adapter PCB. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:51:07 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:32:33 pm »
What I have used in the past to connect to SOIC footprints is to solder a 50 mil surface mount pin header (like this) to the footprint. You can then connect a suitable ribbon cable or even tiny PCB to it.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:25:23 pm »
You could dead-bug it.  Flip the DIP upside down and glue it in place, then air-wire the pins where they need to go.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:52:59 pm »
Like this, but flipped over...  :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 03:56:22 pm »
Difficulty level: 11

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:03:34 pm »

* 6328927798_c91dc5b342.jpg (57.54 kB, 500x375 - viewed 10 times.)
Unless I am mistaken, I think the OP want it the other way around - how to solder a DIL to SOIC

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:32 pm »
You can still do it that way - solder magnet wire to all the pads of the SOIC footprint and fan the wires outwards,  bend out the pins of a DIP socket for easy access, glue an insulating  spacer to the footprint with the socket glued on top and then solder each individual wire to the corresponding bent out pin and reinforce the sides with epoxy putty or hot glue.    However that is for sure going to involve 'futzing around for an hour' and is uneconomic unless you are a hobbyist or are on too tight a deadline to get the commercial adapter overnighted to you.

A preferable less fiddly method if you can stand longer wires is to crop the pins on a turned pin socket so they are significantly shorter than Veroboard thickness, and use a scrap of Veroboard with the socket solderd to the copper side as a breakout board for the socket.  It can then be glued down anywhere convenient and patch wired pin by pin to the SOIC footprint.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:47:47 pm by Ian.M »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »
re Fungus pic:  I hope it worked.

I suppose impedance matching was important. Otherwise, I imagine it would be a lot easier to have done that dead bug.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:17:01 pm by KL27x »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 06:22:13 pm »
OP, Generally all I would do is glue the chip down next to the footprint with hot snot. Then make the connections with 30AWG kynar wire. Nothin' to it but to do it.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:37:51 pm »
OP, Generally all I would do is glue the chip down next to the footprint with hot snot. Then make the connections with 30AWG kynar wire. Nothin' to it but to do it.
Yes - upside down 'dead bug' style, but that makes it impossible to swap the chip without major rework, hence my recommendation to use a scrap of veroboard copper side up as a breakout board for a turned pin socket with the pins cropped so they don't short to the underlying main PCB.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:48:03 pm »
^Yeah, that is a good idea if you want to swap the chip.

If that doesn't matter, and I were going to glue the chip, I wouldn't do it deadbug. I'd bend the pins out and clip them (or bend them up if you want to use wire wrap) and glue the chip "live bug." There's no reason to read the pinout upside down, in this case.

If the pinout matched, yeah, I'd go dead bug, then it would be easier to route the wires. Stitch up the close row, straight across. Then stitch up the outer row, over the top.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:52:31 pm by KL27x »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:24 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, I think the OP want it the other way around - how to solder a DIL to SOIC

Hence the "flipped"

(I mean, not exactly like that, but it's the only image I could find. I'm sure you get the concept though).

Me? I'd solder a bunch of wires to the legs of a DIP socket, insert the chip, trim wires to length, bend them to right angle, solder them to the PCB.

(and hope I never need to change the chip)

re Fungus pic:  I hope it worked.

It wasn't me! It turned up when I searched for a suitable image.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:16:48 pm by Fungus »

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:06 pm »
Attached is a picture of the connector solution I used. Much faster and neater than messing around with 30 awg wire in my opinion.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 08:09:28 pm »
That is slick as snot. I wonder if wire wrap tool fits in that tight a pitch?

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:04 pm »
Probably not, looks like a 0.05" header, but it's a standard size so you can get a connecting adapter which would mean you can do all your rewiring off board and then plug it in, which is nice.  I don't think the connector plastic is durable enough, but you could potentially even bend a few pins out to directly touch the DIP pins.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:15 pm »
Yep, that is the 50 mil header I posted the part number of. I am not aware of wire wrap sockets with pitch less than 100 mil, so I would not expect any standard wire-wrap tool to fit. As for bending, I have never tried that. I doubt the pins are even long enough for that: to go from 7 pins at 50 mil to 7 pins at 100 mil, your pins would have to extend about 4.5 mm on each side. Never mind the extra width of a DIP package. I have only used it with either a 50 mil IDC connector or a female connector soldered to a tiny adapter board. Obviously you do not want something heavy hanging off those surface mount pads if vibration is an issue.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 08:40:14 pm »
If vibration or shock is an issue, you are better off dead-bugging the chip or bonding on a breakout board and patch-wiring it.   However if you *REALLY* *NEED* that SMD header, lightly abrade the pcb round the footprint and the plastic body of the header with a fibreglass pencil to key the surfaces for gluing, thoroughly clean and deflux the board after soldering, dry with hot air and apply epoxy round it up to the top of the plastic base while the board is still warm.  If you squegee the epoxy in from one side till it comes out the other you can get it to fill most of the voids under the header base and with enough fillet area, once set the pins will break before the header and blob of epoxy peel from the board.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:29:48 pm by Ian.M »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 08:50:47 pm »
Difficulty level: 11

Sweet jesus. Any back story on that?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
have only used it with either a 50 mil IDC connector or a female connector soldered to a tiny adapter board.
Ahh... So far, I have not loved a PCB so much to want to make a custom adapter board where kynar wire and a lot of squinting will do. (With a stereomicroscope, this is actually just business as usual). But this is great to know for the rare occasion.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:46:17 pm by KL27x »

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 09:58:22 pm »
Thx for your answers :-D

alm's solution seemed really appealing, but I cannot afford waiting for new components to arrive (I don't have headers different than 100mil pitch), so I'm currently at work on dead-bugging (is that a verb?) my poor PIC16F1455 and with some 30AWG wire, rerout them to the correct SMD pads, a bit messy...
Assembly is the high level programming for an ASIC design engineer (with no VHDL/Verilog).

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:22 pm »
For those interested, all this hassle was because I couldn't find which microntroller they had on a magnetic card reader.

It is a cheap one I bought off ebay for 10USD but that can't read custom card protocols. I dissasembled it and found an ST064C opamp that does some crude analog signal processing and a chinese microcontroller. The pinout is really weird, can't find a direct replacement (yes, it's a *16 pin SOIC: I can't count  :palm:). Neither microchip nor microchip(atmel |O) have 16pin microcontrollers. So I decided to reinvent the card decoding wheel on my PIC16F1455. Now my firmware on the PIC directly reads and decodes the custom card encoding and transmits to the PC via a HID interface.

Hence my want to solder a dip PIC onto a SOIC footprint.

EDIT: The existing chinese micro is going to be surreptitiously unpopulated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:51:58 pm by johm »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 10:46:43 pm »
Well, this is probably beyond obvious to anyone who has even done it. But just in case...

You can catch some of your traces to the nice fat blobs on some of those caps and/or other surrounding areas.

Also, if you like to keep things tidy, what I oft do is to glue a bit of copper clad (I got the 0.007" thick 1/2 oz pour FR4 for things like this) to the top of the IC (or bottom, if it's "dead") for the decoupling cap and/or other small bits of circuitry. I just use a battery powered engraving tool to cut the copper. Place it where you can catch the power/ground pins and the pcb track with the end of the same jumper, or you can even fold over a DIP pin and solder it to the end of the cap.

Since switching over to SMD parts, I use this quite often when breadboarding with DIP IC's. There is an ocean of space on top these IC's. 0603 resistors and caps and diodes galore can fit on there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:51:51 pm by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf