Author Topic: DSOX Colorblind Hack (why is it so hard to let the user choose the colors?)  (Read 2350 times)

Offline eb4eqaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Many times discussed here, newer oscilloscopes (and other instruments) do not allow the user to select colors. On top of that, many times green, yellow and orange are the preferred colors, which gives us colorblinds a hard time...

As suggested by mikeselectricstuff, I went and did the hack to the DSO-X 3032A. I added blue backlight to the CH1 LED too  :)

http://www.rbarrios.com/projects/dsox/

Regards,
Roberto EB4EQA

The following users thanked this post: electr_peter, tooki

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
Congratz to hack and thanks for sharing. BTW did you tried to contact Keysight? It looks like nice marketing opportunity to add this feature.

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
Very creative solution, thanks for bringing it up.

I have the same problem, but my scope is still in warranty so I'm not going to mess with it.

Keysight, please do something about this.  The first two channels are indistinguishable for people with most common type of colorblindness.

EDIT: I don't care if the channel button LEDs don't match.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:00:46 am by Amazing »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
A very useful hack!  :-+
I hope this inspires Keysight to address this issue because a significant amount of their users are color blind.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
I can totally understand why you'd want such a change if colorblind.

I don't see Keysight implementing this on any of the current scopes - but adding it to future scopes should not be a problem. While a software update could change the trace color they can't change the channel indicator LEDs on the face with current models to match.

You have old firmware installed based on the Agilent bootscreen. I would recommend updating to the newest build as it helps prevent non-booting from flash corruption.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:17:21 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Dang! That's super neat. I've also passed the feedback along to the team. Although, the rumor is that you just changed it to make the logo Keysight red :).

BTW, definitely update your firmware.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Great job wiring up that adapter, Roberto, and I'm glad you did the blue LED for the button, too. It just wouldn't be complete otherwise. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
Good stuff!  I cannot see the diff between ch1 and ch2 either.  I have a 4ch and usually use 2-3 channels.  Only once have I used 4ch so far.  So now I've taken to just using ch2 and ch3 as my go-to channels.

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
Roberto, I especially love the pics of your lab!!  But I haven't quite decided if that's a miniature staircase or if you have extra-large equipment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf