Author Topic: Stupid Discovery Of The Day: USB C leads and US outlets  (Read 5796 times)

Offline iamdarkyoshiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Stupid Discovery Of The Day: USB C leads and US outlets
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:51:49 pm »
I think I'll just leave this here...

Yes, the powerstrip is well used so the holes are slightly larger than normal, this won't happen with brand new outlets...
But this is a UL listed powerstrip that hasn't been misused (until now lol)

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Stupid Discovery Of The Day: USB C leads and US outlets
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:35:31 pm »
UL can't fix stupid.

Plus, are you sure they actually make contact?
Alex

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »
UL can't fix stupid.

Plus, are you sure they actually make contact?

Yeah they do, I can light a lightbulb with them lol

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:02:12 pm »
To be fair you can do the same thing to Shucko outlets if you have something like a 3.5mm headphone connector, or another round plug. The same thing can also be done to Australian plugs. If one is stupid enough anything is possible.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: iamdarkyoshi

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:20 pm »
Giving the Darwin Awards a chance.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:55:26 pm »
This is why UK plugs have shutters on the live and neutral which are opened by putting a pin in the earth socket.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:53 pm »
Yeah UK plugs are really nice

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:27:13 pm »
Next stop: the audiophool forums, and suggest that pic 2 is a good way of clearing out 'lazy electrons' from USB leads, for better fidelity of sound files. Cables with all the electrons alert and paying attention have much better responsiveness to crescendos.

(Joke! I'm definitely not proposing you should actually suggest that to anyone. You KNOW there are people who would try it.)
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: iamdarkyoshi, tooki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 11:39:42 pm »
Next stop: the audiophool forums, and suggest that pic 2 is a good way of clearing out 'lazy electrons' from USB leads, for better fidelity of sound files. Cables with all the electrons alert and paying attention have much better responsiveness to crescendos.

(Joke! I'm definitely not proposing you should actually suggest that to anyone. You KNOW there are people who would try it.)

In that case, I'll make a viral video for facebook like that wireless charger electroboom "debunked', should help rid this place of stupid people lol

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:59:58 pm »
To be fair you can do the same thing to Shucko outlets if you have something like a 3.5mm headphone connector, or another round plug. The same thing can also be done to Australian plugs. If one is stupid enough anything is possible.

The Australian outlet is actually very well designed and among the safest in the world. Even without mechanical shutters, the holes are too narrow to fit most everyday objects into (including 3.5mm audio connectors, butter knifes etc...). I'm sure I could find something in my house to fit into the holes that shouldn't be there, but I'd really have to be determined.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:47:07 am »

The Australian outlet is actually very well designed and among the safest in the world. Even without mechanical shutters, the holes are too narrow to fit most everyday objects into (including 3.5mm audio connectors, butter knifes etc...). I'm sure I could find something in my house to fit into the holes that shouldn't be there, but I'd really have to be determined.

Hair pins, paperclips, small scissors, nails, back side of tweezers or front side of forceps, sewing needles, tiny screwdrivers, instrument wire, stripped twist ties...I mean...stay safe now. >:D

EDIT: 500th post 8)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 12:54:39 am »
Hopefully they are using a surge protected outlet LOL.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:03 am »
paperclips

That reminds me, I need to buy more paper clips. I went looking for some the other day, do you think I could find any? Thanks :-)

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:08:12 am »
That reminds me, I need to buy more paper clips. I went looking for some the other day, do you think I could find any? Thanks :-)

Did you check your outlets? 

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 01:42:28 am »
This is why UK plugs have shutters on the live and neutral which are opened by putting a pin in the earth socket.

You can still defeat that. Nothing is idiot proof, although I did come up with a concept for a truly idiot proof plug design.

The blades on an Australian outlet are very similar in size to US outlets, I think this could work as well.

Pretty much every country has a standard for shuttered outlets that people are supposed to put into new installations, but a lot of the time due not do, purely for cost reasons. NEMA has it, Shucko has it.

I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 02:47:35 am »

Nothing is idiot proof, although I did come up with a concept for a truly idiot proof plug design.

Denying americans access to electricity?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:06 am »
Nothing is idiot proof, although I did come up with a concept for a truly idiot proof plug design.

I am finding it difficult to express how I feel about this charmingly self-contradictory post. I'll just go with  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment, iamdarkyoshi

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 03:14:12 am »

I am finding it difficult to express how I feel about this charmingly self-contradictory post. I'll just go with  :palm:

I think he expressed it with tounge-in-cheek. I saw the lighter side of it. It's true, this world is full of people who just shouldn't be allowed to touch anything.

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 05:19:32 am »
I know certain places where they wire devices up just by shoving the bare wires straight into the mains socket without any plug attached. If you try hard enough, you can stick anything you like in the sockets, but that doesn't mean you should.

There are a lot of old gadgets in Australia that use the piggy back plugs, but for some reason you cannot get re-wireable piggy back plugs anymore. Handy, but some idiot made an extension cord out of two piggy back plugs. Any product which allows stupidity-induced death is fine by me. >:D

I like the safety features of modern Aussie plugs. There is a sheath that covers the first half of the live and neutral pins, and the earth pin is totally unexposed. It is good for preventing accidents in some cases like when plugging things in the dark, or bits of falling metal shorting the pins if it isn't plugged in all the way due to a worn-out socket.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:27:17 am by X »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:34 am »

I think he expressed it with tounge-in-cheek. I saw the lighter side of it. It's true, this world is full of people who just shouldn't be allowed to touch anything.

Funny joke huh?

That was not planned, I just went full retard.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 11:58:24 am »

You can still defeat that.

While true, anyone with the where withall to do so will hopefully also be reasonably aware of the implications.

When I was about 4yo, I clearly remember trying to plug a Lego motor into a UK outlet, and, despite spending some time trying, I failed. I had neither the cognitive ability nor dexterity to defeat it. But I did have the tool necesary, an uninsulated electric screwdriver. To me, electricity was electricity, I didn't know the difference between 4.5V DC from three C cells to 250V AC from a 13A socket fused at 30A.

Had there been no shutters, I'm sure it could have been quite a different story.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 03:33:57 pm »
The MK version of a UK 13A cannot be defeated that way, it requires both the presence of the earth pin and more or less equal pressure on both shutters before they will open, the mechanics are an awesome piece of injection moulded genius.

MK, while over priced on some things really do make the best sockets.

Regards, Dan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf