Author Topic: EEVblog #1002 - Trumps Solar Freakin Wall DEBUNKED  (Read 31398 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #1002 - Trumps Solar Freakin Wall DEBUNKED
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 03:28:25 pm »
No one cares.
The politics ends here, got it?
My participation in your forum ends here, got it?

Bye.
Would you like me to ban your account too so you can't accidentally happen upon all the politics here again?
We offer a full personal service here at the EEVblog forum.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 03:31:57 pm »
No one cares.
My participation in your forum ends here, got it?

Bye.
Would you like me to ban your account too so you can't accidentally happen upon all the politics here again?
We offer a full personal service here at the EEVblog forum.
:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »
I love Trump, he shows there is more than idiot in charge around the planet, it makes for good comedy, and a great distraction.  :-DD

The rug on top also is great, a triumph of glue and spray over polyester, perhaps even a few strands of actual hair there as well the CFC's did not dissolve, along with the odd neurons inside that did not melt in the solvent wash.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 05:16:49 pm »
Oh no a user with 12 (twelve) whole posts left the forum  :scared:  :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »
There are bunch of users on this forum with big post count, who do not bring value to the forum. because they post crap, they typically know all about everything.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: digsys, vinicius.jlantunes

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »
Good debunking.
Yeah, some people can be irritated by the truth.
We don't care.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:12:00 pm by f4eru »

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2017, 08:48:02 pm »
Let me suggest that it is possible and preferable to debunk bad ideas without the obvious hostility toward a world leader. The explanation of the ins and outs of solar energy is interesting, but do I really have to be exposed to Dave's rancor toward Trump in order to get it?
People who don't live in America do not understand the wave of anti-Trump hysteria we are going through.

No one cares.

"world leader"?

World looser so far..
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »
Shouldn't a mild wind not even in the size of a EF3 passing trough this wall twice a year + some sand blaster storms make Trumps idea even a bigger economical failure.

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 11:01:57 pm »
Trump's plan has extra costs:
a) Building a very long thin solar farm needs an awful lot of extra cabling and stuff than a square/round one. This could double the cost.
b) It's in a place a long way from where the electricity might be needed, it will cost a lot to transport.
The extra cost of (a) and (b) means the payback time approaches the "tear it out an put a new on in" time, ie. it may never pay for itself.
c) The maintenance will be much higher.
d) The efficiency will be lower because tracking is much harder if not possible in many cases.

What's the chances of a good hurricane along the Mexican border in, say, any given 20 year period?  :popcorn:

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 11:24:27 pm »
I believe the missing sections are more inland? (hurricane's peter-out, so shouldn't be a problem). They crisscross Florida with ease because the whole peninsula averages just a few ft. above sea-level. Other than beach life and orange groves, it's one of life's mysteries why so many choose to live in precarious tidal wash zones.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 09:45:53 am »
So to sum it up:
Trump wants to install solar panels: Excelent
Trump wants to install solar panels on the wall: Inefficient way of installing panels, requires more maintenance, not a good idea
Trump want the solar panels to pay for the wall: Maybe in a 100 year. It is misleading, just to gain popularity. Its like saying: I'm gonna build a house, but I place solar panels on the top, so the house is going to pay for itself. No it doesn't.

The following users thanked this post: buck converter

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 10:52:56 am »
People who don't live in America do not understand the wave of anti-Trump hysteria we are going through.

That has to be a contender for the quote of the month. It's almost meme-worthy.

Offline Groucho2005

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »

That has to be a contender for the quote of the month. It's almost meme-worthy.

Agreed.
People who don't live in America (and many who do live there) understand perfectly well - Thanks to a fucked up electoral system and a large bunch of morons who inexplicably found their way to a voting booth, a narcissistic egomaniac with the educational level of a high school dropout, a vocabulary of 200 words and dyslexia is now president.

Why wouldn't there be anti-Trump hysteria?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:06:29 pm by Groucho2005 »

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2017, 06:21:52 pm »
> the energy from solar will not pay for the wall

No one really is arguing it will as far as I know.  But the question is, is it a good idea anyway?

The question is will it generate useful energy and make a profit, no so much profit that it has to pay for the construction of the entire wall.  That is a straw man.   If the wall is going to be built anyway, does it make sense to put some solar panels on it given the static location to put them, and the very sunny climate they will most likely be placed? 

Maybe the power will be enough to pay for something else, like say the power to run some lights on the wall, or supply the wall with electrical power for laser beams or force fields or something!?  This is sort of like putting solar panels on top of a fountain to power the water?  It may never pay for the cost of the artist designed pretty marble park fountain feature itself but it might more than make financial sense to use it for powering the water flow.

You are setting up a false argument and shooting it down.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:23:28 pm by nixfu »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2017, 06:27:26 pm »
... If the wall is going to be built anyway...

That's where your point goes wrong. Trump is trying to use solar power as an excuse to build the wall, not trying to add solar to a wall that's going to be built.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:44 pm »
>That's where your point goes wrong. Trump is trying to use solar power as an excuse to build the wall, not trying to add solar to a wall that's going to be built.

Except that is not the entire reason given for building the wall.

It is just being used as a "selling point", and an added feature to make the wall more appealing, just like when it was talked about selling advertising on it.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 09:19:02 pm »
>That's where your point goes wrong. Trump is trying to use solar power as an excuse to build the wall, not trying to add solar to a wall that's going to be built.

Except that is not the entire reason given for building the wall.

It is just being used as a "selling point", and an added feature to make the wall more appealing, just like when it was talked about selling advertising on it.

You're just proving my point. The wall is clearly not in the "going to be built anyway" category. It may have been a campaign promise, but Trump hasn't sold Congress on more than token funding.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 12:51:12 am »
Alright! Now we had an engineer (Dave) debunking Dumpf's solar panels, so lets a standup comedian...eh..Dumpf debunk it as well! :) It starts at 2:33..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:57:54 am by MT »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #1002 - Trumps Solar Freakin Wall BUSTED
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 01:16:04 am »
Most illegal immigrants get here by walking over on a tourist visa and simply failing to leave. Which makes building massive walls, once you get out into the boondocks where nature eliminates the casual crossing, an expensive symbol rather than an actual deterrant. By the way, a fair chunk of the existing "wall" is merely a vehicle barrier, so it doesn't really exist in the form Trump speaks of.

That was my first thought on the matter. Regardless of one's position on the issue of illegal immigration, a wall is pointless. It's a huge expenditure that will keep out or delay a very small portion of the people coming in. For somebody who claims to be a great businessman this plan has an extremely low ROI.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 03:07:42 am »
I'm a political junky, but I usually keep my politics and electronics separate.

However, seeing where this thread has gone, I'm making an exception to pitch this browser extension that replaces Trump mentions with rather entertaining insults:

For Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/detrumpify/hfhaalldkgmfbjjehkiddheghljjdjln?hl=en-US

For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/detrumpify

For those that don't trust strange plugins, the code is on github here: https://github.com/djacobow/detrumpify and you can run that exact code if you clone from there and enable developer mode in your browser.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 04:55:31 am »
hold the Phone... i don't think this is debunked....and Maybe someone else pointed this out but....i think "solar wall" might be take a bit to literal ...
They would NOT put solar panels on the Mexican side of the wall or anyplace they could be damaged from mexico..so I wouldn't think panels on the actual wall is an option.

the wall includes government controlled land next to it for patrolling the wall.  one would assume that they would put a solar farm on the US side next to the wall which would massively increase the total number of solar panels they could place .. this could easily be larger by a factor of 10.

so instead of revenue of ~100m per year your talking revenue of ~1billion per year.  |O

and frankly there building this from the ground up.. there no saying they even have to limit themselves to the size, they could go larger!

This is similar to what we are seeing a lot more of in my area which is solar farms on the side of interstates and sometimes in the median when the distances between the opposing traffic lanes make it feasible

Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 05:07:53 am »
so instead of revenue of ~100m per year your talking revenue of ~1billion per year.  |O

ROI is per-panel.

If you generate 10x more income it's because you paid 10x more for the installation, have 10x more maintenance and need 10x more infrastructure to transport it (or more, because you'll have to transport it further if the locals can't use it all).

Building a long, narrow farm a far from where it's needed is uneconomical no matter how you look at it.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:10 am »
hold the Phone... i don't think this is debunked....and Maybe someone else pointed this out but....i think "solar wall" might be take a bit to literal ...

Just one of Trump's statements:  "Think about it, the higher it goes, the more valuable it is. Pretty good imagination, right, good?"

I think it is 100% clear that at least in Trumpys head the panels are on the side of the wall, higher wall, more panel.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 05:16:15 am »
Not sure if it's been mentioned - and depending on whose figures you base this on - between 40 - 60% of all "illegal" / "over-stayed" mexicans came in legally !!
Usually on temporary visas etc, then simply forgot to go back :-)  With a wall, I'm sure that number will increase. The fact that NO-ONE will provide (or are able to) proof or
accuracy of the numbers, suggest that "better off not knowing" :-) ... sure, it would be a damn difficult exercise, but 40-60% is not hard to work out. Visa expiries etc
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf