Author Topic: Experiences with Mega328PB?  (Read 5360 times)

Offline WojtaTopic starter

• Contributor
Experiences with Mega328PB?
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:01:04 pm »
Hey all,
Im building a weather station so I was recently looking at AVR chips that could be used. As a bit of arduino guy my eye obviously landed on the mega328P, Im pretty used to it so I was pretty stuck to getting that one.
However then I realized Atmel (Microchip to be exact) made a new version, the Mega 328PB. I thought it could be pretty nice to get my hands on a "new technology", some of the features are awsome to have but I have no idea how different is it from the standard 328P (not featurewise but programingwise, in C). Does anyone have a experience with that chip? Is it even worth it getting it? Im a bit scared it could introduce some bugs but as I read only rev. A had something wrong I think. Also I have these chips available in two types, ATMEGA328PB-AN and ATMEGA328PB-AU, I wasnt able to spot a difference, do you know of any?

Thanks,
have a great day!

Offline fmaimon

• Supporter
Re: Experiences with Mega328PB?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:09:43 pm »
All the differences are highlighted in this AN: http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42559-Differences-between-ATmega328P-and-ATmega328PB_ApplicationNote_AT15007.pdf

If you are interested only in code execution only, this note from the AN summarizes it well: "Code compiled for ATmega328 variants are compatible and can be executed in the ATmega328PB device. Whereas, reverse code compatibility is not guaranteed."

Regarding the AU vs AN difference, it is explained in the datasheet in the "Ordering Information" page.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »
Yeah, thanks, just me being blind. Still I dont get the table with the different types. Is it that one of them is pb-free and the other one is not? Its obvious I guess but I just dont see it...  |O

Whoops, see it. The temperatures, right?

Offline FreddyVictor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:40:46 pm »
Also I have these chips available in two types, ATMEGA328PB-AN and ATMEGA328PB-AU, I wasnt able to spot a difference, do you know of any?
it's actually pretty obvious when you look at them: http://uk.farnell.com/w/c/semiconductors-ics/microcontrollers-mcu/8-bit-microcontrollers-mcu/prl/results?st=atmega328pb

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 04:57:01 pm »
Also I have these chips available in two types, ATMEGA328PB-AN and ATMEGA328PB-AU, I wasnt able to spot a difference, do you know of any?
it's actually pretty obvious when you look at them: http://uk.farnell.com/w/c/semiconductors-ics/microcontrollers-mcu/8-bit-microcontrollers-mcu/prl/results?st=atmega328pb

Not that obvious, the chips shown on that page are AU and MU, Im looking for a difference between AN and AU. Maybe Im just not getting the markings, If so, sorry...

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »
Clock Failure Detection and Switching Mechanism is a new feature introduced in ATmega328PB. This
digital logic detects the failure of the Low power crystal oscillator, Full swing crystal oscillator, and external
clocks...

Full Swing Oscillator
Clock source options of the ATmega328 variants include full swing crystal oscillator, which can be
selected by configuring the flash fuse. However, in the new ATmega328PB, the full swing crystal oscillator
is removed.
???

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:46:34 pm »
Full Swing Oscillator
Clock source options of the ATmega328 variants include full swing crystal oscillator, which can be
selected by configuring the flash fuse. However, in the new ATmega328PB, the full swing crystal oscillator
is removed.
???

Yes, I almost lost a project/client because I was unaware of this "feature"...
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out. Im pretty sure that would stop me for a while  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:33:13 pm »
I read a bit about the oscillator options and low power is the "closest" to the full swing right? Maybe Im saying it wrong. I mean the same crystal circuit still applies , but the max frequency it can run on that is 16Mhz, not 20. Am I correct or mistaken again?

Thanks for your patience with me guys  ;)

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:26 pm »
I mean the same crystal circuit still applies , but the max frequency it can run on that is 16Mhz, not 20. Am I correct or mistaken again?

My design (with a regular 16-MHz HC49 crystal) failed, that's how I learned about this issue in the first place. But maybe crystals with different/high quality specs will work.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline L1L1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »
As part of an IoT project, I paired a 16Mhz crystal with an Atmega328PB and it works just fine.

FYI, it's an Abracon ABM3-16.000MHZ-B2-T.

It's true that the signal on the atmega's clock pins is rather weak but it seems to be enough nevertheless.

Here's a write-up with more details: http://omzlo.com/articles/using-an-external-crystal-on-the-atmega328pb
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:03:47 pm by L1L1 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 03:46:16 pm »
Lovely, thank you.

Online colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 05:57:02 pm »
I've been using the inexpensive Epson TSX-3225 16MHz 9pF crystals with my 328PB parts with good success.  They're about 30% less than the Abracon part.

Offline L1L1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 06:51:15 am »
I've been using the inexpensive Epson TSX-3225 16MHz 9pF crystals with my 328PB parts with good success.  They're about 30% less than the Abracon part.

I tried those as well with a 328PB. While I had no trouble soldering them with hot air, I got a lot of failures once I moved to a reflow oven. Not sure why.

The Abracon part is easier to handle. In fact you can even solder it with a regular iron.

Online colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 03:05:24 am »
I tried those as well with a 328PB. While I had no trouble soldering them with hot air, I got a lot of failures once I moved to a reflow oven. Not sure why.

That's really odd.  I have a reflow over and hot-air rework station.  Almost all boards done these days with reflow (cheap T962) by me and by my board manufacturer.  I can't say I have ever seen a crystal failure.

What you say really doesn't make sense to me since reflow is easier on the crystal than hot air since you have a well-regulated temp profile.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf