Author Topic: How is the new Keysight 1000 x series scope compared with other low cost scopes?  (Read 56318 times)

Offline fishandchipsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I tried out the Tektronix TDS 3032B scope. It is very very noisy. How the Keysight 1000x series, GW Instek GDS-2204E and the Rigol DS1054Z ranked when comparing their noise level with respect to the TDS 3032B? Thanks

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
I tried out the Tektronix TDS 3032B scope. It is very very noisy. How the Keysight 1000x series, GW Instek GDS-2204E and the Rigol DS1054Z ranked when comparing their noise level with respect to the TDS 3032B? Thanks
Can you post the settings used as well as the signal source?  Do you have any pictures to share?

• Regular Contributor
Can you post the settings used as well as the signal source?  Do you have any pictures to share?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. By noisy, I meant the sound level rather than the signal noise.

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
Try opening up an active probe and looking at the soldering, these low volume boards with low numbers of components as used in the matching networks (termination) are usually hand assembled and look just like the pictures posted so far. Unwashed flux? thats the recommended application for many fluxes!

Not to push one brand over another here, but I opened up my Lecroy 2.5GHz active probe a while back and it was pristine on the inside.  I'm sure any of the $3000 keysight probes would be the same.

Last week I opened one of the Keysight N2843A 500MHz probes that came new with my 3000T, and it was pretty messy.  Not quite as bad as sergio's pics, but close.  Pretty disappointing.  Clearly it was made CHEAP.

But hey, it works and is up to spec so what can I really complain about?

Offline TechnoTroll

• Contributor
Does anyone know if Keysight will take late model Agilent scopes as trade ins?  If yes how can this be done.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Does anyone know if Keysight will take late model Agilent scopes as trade ins?  If yes how can this be done.
http://tradein.em.keysight.com/en/KTI-0130

Also, the N2843A passive probes and a multi-GHz active probe will use dramatically different manufacturing techniques and tolerances.

Offline TechnoTroll

• Contributor
Thanks Daniel, it seems like the discounted Keysight store on eBay may offer better value though.

[Edit] A thought, if the scope was purchased from the Keysight store on eBay, would it qualify for the free DSOX1102G offer?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:28:35 am by TechnoTroll »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
[Edit] A thought, if the scope was purchased from the Keysight store on eBay, would it qualify for the free DSOX1102G offer?

I don't know, I'd recommend sending them a quick message and see what they say. I don't work closely with the Keysight eBay store folks.

• Regular Contributor
Hello All, I ended up buying the Micsig tBook mini TO1104. Thank you all of you for your replies.

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
Are there any competitive model with frequency response analyzing function as with Keysight DSOX1102G ?

I cannot find any in $1000 price range.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
AD2 to 10MHz:
"Network analyzer – Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a circuit. Range: 1Hz to 10MHz"
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual

PicoScope 2000 mostly to 1MHz, 3rd party software:
https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picoscope/wiki/Home

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Are there any competitive model with frequency response analyzing function as with Keysight DSOX1102G ?

I cannot find any in $1000 price range.

To my knowledge, there aren't any benchtop scopes with this capability, but some USB scopes do (See MrW0lf's comment).

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
Thank you, both, for info.

In meantime I found another interesting (8 in 1) USB solution with Frequency Response Analyzer in $1000 price range:

http://www.analogarts.com/products/8-in-1-frequency-response-analyzer/sf880-high-performance

Not really cheap but according factory data pretty capable.

Seem no Analog Arts instruments tested on eevblog yet?

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator output for that price tag?

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
That SF880 has some pretty extraordinary specs for the price.  Interesting.

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
Wouldn't it make more sense to use a spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator output for that price tag?

Not sure.

I would prefer Keysight DSOX1102G great Frequency Response Analyzing function over double priced (say Rigol) frequency analyzer.

But seems that Analog Arts SF880 is even more capable, at least according factory data
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:55:40 am by rigol52 »

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
I've started another thread on the AA SF880 to help keep things on topic here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/analog-arts-sf880/

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
I've started another thread on the AA SF880 to help keep things on topic here

Thanks and sorry for little mess here.

Question to "Keysight DanielBogdanoff":

Are there any delay in plot finalizing with Keysight DSOX1102G Frequency Response Analyzing presentation, or it is plotted in time with measured parameter changing?

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
Go to around 19:00 in this video and you can see it in action.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Keysight released a patch with better FRA resolution after the video was published.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-1000-x-series-oscilloscope-fra-patch-coming/msg1220002/#msg1220002

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline rigol52

• Contributor
A little surprised with slow speed FRA plot.
FRA should be very resource consumptive in processing?
Are there way to speed up FRA plotting response (by lower resolution, sampling)?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
A little surprised with slow speed FRA plot.
FRA should be very resource consumptive in processing?
Are there way to speed up FRA plotting response (by lower resolution, sampling)?

By changing the points-per-decade setting, to a lower number of points the FRA will plot faster (and have lower resolution). We put a lot of engineering effort (and secret sauce) into making sure we get the best possible FRA plot, so there are a lot of other factors that contribute to the test time. But, if you want a quicker plot you can just lower the resolution.

Offline martinot

• Regular Contributor
Please state for the record if you own one of these scopes. You have been avoiding this question for five pages of posts.

Please state for the record if you personally have ever even touched one of these 1000 series scopes. All you have done is linked other threads.

I don't own a Keysight 1000X scope, and neither have touched it.

{ lengthy  rant / fanboyism deleted }

Both Keysight and Keysight fanboys are all hypocrites IMO. Living in their own world, and denying that it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE to deliver such a crappy probes. Even a 10 year old kid would agree on that.

Ahh.

Offline martinot

• Regular Contributor
Do I get a free pair of nice probes if I jump on the hate-train? If so..

It's also a complete non-issue for me. And I do own the scope!

It's strange. The people who seems to have the biggest problem with them, are those who do not own the probes (and in some cases never ever has tested or touched them).

Offline Eric_S

• Regular Contributor
The thread was bumped from 2017?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf