Author Topic: Bosch Charger AL 1130 and portable power supply  (Read 1439 times)

Offline gorisTopic starter

Bosch Charger AL 1130 and portable power supply
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:33 am »
Hello!
I Could use some help, guides and/or similar. I want to be able to charge my power tool batteries off grid. I have been searching and all I could find is that people applied balance charging on the tool batteries.
I have a portable power supply made of 3S 18650 cells (expandable to 4s) and I'd like to use it to recharge my power tool batteries. All of my power tools are based on 12V (old 10.8V) LiOn battery packs. I've got a couple of Bosch tools, drill, jigsaw and angle grinder among others. I've got chargers for these as well (AL 1130 and AL 1115). I need only one so i'd gladly sacrifice one of the chargers for the cause.
My question is if it is possible to bypass the mains on this charger and power it with my 15 Ah power pack?!
Thank you in advance.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Bosch Charger AL 1130 and portable power supply
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 09:19:12 am »
AFAIK the Bosch chargers use a switched mode circuit and directly use it control the current. So it won't work easy to bypass an input section and than start from 12 V. Likely it uses a kind of flyback circuit - so a different supply would need to rewind the transformer and a new drive side circuit. So it might work in principle, but can be difficult.

Many of the Bosch chargers also use quite some conformal coating - so already replacing the fuse is not so easy.

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:00:48 am »
I would start by looking in the Bosch charger where the high voltage mains is turned to a low voltage DC.
Then you can see if you could wire inbyour own low voltage supply.

Or modify the Bosch batteries to expose each cell's + and - so you can connect a different charger.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 03:38:53 pm »
The small Bosch battery packs are not that expensive any more. So there is a limited use of using a power pack made of the same size cells to recharge them. It would be something different if charging from something like a car battery. So I would consider just getting a few more of the 10.8/12 V packs if needed.They also have larger ones (with a internal 3s2p configuration) with 4 and 5 Ah, that might be useful for the more power hungry machines like the jigsaw and angle grinder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf