Author Topic: Aug 2017 Solar Eclipse Stamp. How cool is this!  (Read 8880 times)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Aug 2017 Solar Eclipse Stamp. How cool is this!
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:02 pm »
Temperature dependent stamp!!  How cool is that!

http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2017/pr17_020.htm

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Aug 2017 Solar Eclipse Stamp. How cool is this!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:49 am »
Very, I think I need to find a friendly American to post me something with one on and in it.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:14 pm »
Agreed, are there any EEV Blog members in the USA who could purchase some of these for members on the other side of the pond?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Kilrah

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
I can. I live in Portland, OR, and I'll actually get to see it happen!  We are just north of Salem.

It looks like the Release Ceremony is on June 20th in Laramie Wyoming.

So looks like we got almost 2 months to wait for it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:15:55 pm by Falcon69 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 10:59:30 pm »
I live in Portland, OR, and I'll actually get to see it happen!  We are just north of Salem.
On the line of totality!  AWESOME!  :)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
That's really cool! I'd join in the group buy if any :)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 03:21:25 pm »
I'm just south of the line of totallity, and it is already amazing seeing how an event like this brings out the best and worst in people.  Gouging on hotel rooms is rampant, in spite of laws against such practices.  There have even been a couple of cases where hotels have gone through changes of ownership with the sole purpose to cancel existing reservations and change rate structure.

The wife and I haven't decided if it will be worth driving to totallity.  Projections are that it will be a zoo, with people double parked on freeways and other such wildness.  Other than the "I was there effect", the prior lunar and solar eclipses I have experienced have been a bit underwhelming.  The guys with the fancy equipment get better shots than most people can get, and viewing through welding goggles, pinhole cameras and other techniques combines less than perfect views with real hazard to your irreplaceable eyeballs.

I'll try to buy a couple sheets of the stamps and will send some to those interested.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »
well, we aren't suppose to have another total eclipse until long after I am dead, So I'll be watching.

As far as a group buy thing, If you're interested, just PM me with your address and I'll see what it costs to ship them. Let me know how many you want. I don't know cost yet. It is a forever stamp, but I doubt THESE will have the standard price tag of $0.49 each.

I don't mind doing this for anyone on the forums, as long as no money out of my pocket.  :-+

I am prolly going to be a few books just for myself.

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:16 am »
Damn, you guys in the US always have such lovely special edition stamps!

I remember USPS also did these: https://www.usps.com/stamps/pluto-and-planets.htm

Such a lovely collection, especially the New Horizons!~

I might need to join this group buy, but I shall ask another friend of mine in the US first.

But thanks so much for offering this to us Falcon69 :D
<3 ~Faith~

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 02:54:03 am »
I've gotten your PM regarding group buy and shipping these to you guys.

For those who have asked, it seems you want them on the envelope itself, with them stamped from the postal service? Doesn't that render them useless and any value they may have now or in the future void?

Anyway, for those who have PM me, please do so again to confirm that's how you want it sent to you, and how many extra (if any) you would like in the envelope to mail to you.  While I'm at it, if there is anything else in the states you would like to have that will fit in the envelope, just let me know, I will try and get it for you and send it.

I will let you know the cost, once the USPS store has released these to buy.

I'm sure that for most countries, I will be required to place these into an International Shipping envelope, therefore the envelope itself will not have the stamp "stamped". Everything is all automated on those shipping envelopes and a pre-paid label is created for them.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:05:33 am »
It has been a while since I've done it, but I'm pretty sure you can still send a letter in a normal envelope using stamps by First Class Mail International. There are probably no tracking options though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:09:59 am by rdl »

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:54 am »
i will try, if that is what people want.  But, I don't understand the significance of it. I remember watching an old 80's flick, Brewster's Millions, where he bought a multi-million dollar value stamp, and mailed it on a post card, when the Post office ran it through there stamp process for payment verification (marking up the stamp with a squiggly type line of ink), it rendered the value of that stamp to zero dollars.

Anyway, when the stamps are released, I'll buy a few books, and start mailing them oout to folks who can't get to the states to buy em. I'll check then if I can put the stamps on the outside of the international envelope mailer.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:26:03 am »
Sounds like the best is one inside that stays pristine and one on the outside that's got the "value" of having been actually used ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 09:12:57 am »
There have even been a couple of cases where hotels have gone through changes of ownership with the sole purpose to cancel existing reservations and change rate structure.
Don't say things like that! I'm totally dependent on the reservations I have made!  I'm hoping to be on the line (if I don't break down during my road trip).  I missed the opportunity of the TSE in Turkey a few years back.... I'm not making that mistake again!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 09:23:49 am »
Sounds like the best is one inside that stays pristine and one on the outside that's got the "value" of having been actually used ;)

I'm not a stamp collector (this stamp is cool enough that I want one or two), but there is a certain cachet to having a 'rare' or unusual stamp that has been franked on the day of issue for a collector, the closest I can think of is that it's like having a photo of a celebrity compared to having the same photo but signed by the celebrity.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »

I'm not a stamp collector (this stamp is cool enough that I want one or two), but there is a certain cachet to having a 'rare' or unusual stamp that has been franked on the day of issue for a collector, the closest I can think of is that it's like having a photo of a celebrity compared to having the same photo but signed by the celebrity.

It is like everything else - rarity sells.  There are limits to how many can be bought and mailed on the first day so they will be rare relative to the bulk of them that will sell over a few weeks or months.  Best value would be from one franked at a special location.  The issuing post office being one example, but anyplace in the path of totality and on the day of totality would rank above just a random post office in the US.   This being such a big event there won't be much rarity value for any of them.  Also, stamp collecting is a rapidly declining hobby.  All collecting hobbies are.   So I would definitely get these for personal satisfaction only, not with any dreams of gain.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 04:22:02 pm »
There have even been a couple of cases where hotels have gone through changes of ownership with the sole purpose to cancel existing reservations and change rate structure.
Don't say things like that! I'm totally dependent on the reservations I have made!  I'm hoping to be on the line (if I don't break down during my road trip).  I missed the opportunity of the TSE in Turkey a few years back.... I'm not making that mistake again!

It is well worth verifying your reservations.  There have been at least two hotels/motels involved in this type of activity.  They are being taken to court by both the state authorities and by reservation holders but last I heard there was no resolution.  Part of the scam is remodeling and re-configuring the property so the original rooms technically don't exist any more.  Makes it tougher to sort out.   And in any case, someone is going to come out short - either the people with the original reservations or the ones who reserved under the new ownership.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 04:45:36 pm »
It is well worth verifying your reservations.
I'll do that.  Thanks!

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 11:28:40 pm »

Best value would be from one franked at a special location. 

I could Wait until February 14th (valentines day), drive to Loveland Colorado, and send it to you then :)

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:16 am »
Looks like it can be pre-ordered early next month. I will try and get in on the day it goes live, and Buy 5-10 sheets, depending on the interest of who all want them.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
I have some Hong Kong stamps that are actually rare collectable ones, as they are literally made with a thick gold plaque on them. however, they were used as regular stamps, so are franked.

Have 2 sheets of the South Africa role in Astronomy, from 2015. Anybody want them? nice silver foil stamped sheets, A5 size.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »
I have ordered the stamps. They should arrive here next week. I ordered a total of 256 of them. (16 sheets of 16)

If you would like a large quantity of them, let me know and I can get them ordered and shipped out to you.

If you would like some, please Private message me your name and address and how many you would like. I will get back to you with how much shipping costs to your address. The stamps are .49 cents USA cost.  The shipping I can calculate after I receive above information.

Please also let me know if you would like the stamp on the outside of the envelope as well. It won't be re-usable through the US Postal system once it has been placed on the outside of the envelope and mailed, so keep that in mind.

Also, please let me know, because I don't really know without going to post office in person, if I can just send to you in an envelope as I normally would for the US States. I know some countries will require that special international shipping envelope I think.

You can pay me through PayPal. I will give you my PayPal addy once I reply to your message.

Jason

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 06:21:35 am »
I received the stamps today.

I thought I had damaged them. Earlier today I went into the Home Depot store to buy some materials as I was working on a project at the house today. When I got home today and removed the stamps from the car, the stamps showed the moons. Guess the car was too hot. But, once the stamps all cool down, they all returned to black again. Pretty cool actually.

So, for all those who have sent Private Messages already, I will try and get these out sometimes this week to you. I'm pretty busy this week. If the local post office has those special commemorative envelopes with this stamp showing the dedication day and stuff on them, I will try and get one of those for you as you have asked, if not I will just send you the stamps.  I am not sure on the cost, I will let you all know once I send them to you.

Interesting, I don't have a pic of it, but the back of the stamp sheet, it shows the US map and the direction of the eclipse across it. 10:18 PDT Salem,OR it is suppose to be. Can't wait to see it on August 21st. I won't get a chance to see it again, I'll be long gone the next time it comes around.

If anyone else would like me to send some to you (over seas folks only, US peeps get your own!), please let me know! :)

Jason

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 10:52:17 am »
Hi.  Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance you could you also get the sleeve thing? https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=S_475329&categoryId=stamp-collectors

I would be interested in 3 sheets and 3 sleeves.

Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf