Author Topic: How to test my multimeter's accuracy  (Read 6303 times)

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to test my multimeter's accuracy
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:38:53 pm »
Hi all, i just bought me a used Fluke 187 multimeter for cheap but in very good condition and I would like to check if it's working OK, if it's still accurate and all... Maybe it will need to get calibrated ($$$😲)?
 I want to use it mainly for building a couple of guitar amps and maybe some pedals...

Anyway, i was wondering if there is any common household electronic device with very very very precise voltages, currents, etc where i could check my multimeter with. I don't know if i make any sense, kind of an amateur sucker talking here ;)

Maybe I should just ask "How do I check my multimeter's accuracy without using all that fancy equipment they use when calibrating them?"

Thanks tho,

Guy

Offline Jon.C

• Supporter
Re: How to test my multimeter's accuracy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »
in ebay or aliexpress search :

AD584KH Voltage Reference Module

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:00:44 pm by Jon.C »

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 04:07:57 pm »
One basic thing to do would be checking against another meter you trust. From my experience, Fluke meters do not drift very much and in regard to building guitar effects etc. you do not really need the highest precision measurements. I used one of these chinese DT92XX multimeters for years to fiddle with stompboxes and was pretty happy with the results. Basically it came down to measuring resistance and voltage to be somewhere in the wanted order of magnitude and using the continuity feature to check switches and identify broken PCB traces...

In regard to knowing what is going on with your equipment, there are some threads on building highly precise setups for calibration purpose, but I do not have the links at hand right now. Personally, I would check the 187 against some other DMMs (if you don't have more than the one, throw a party and invite people you know owning test equipment ;) ). My guess however is, that your Fluke is perfectly fine and it will very well suit your needs in regard to getting things done.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: joseph nicholas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 04:24:47 pm »
One basic thing to do would be checking against another meter you trust. From my experience, Fluke meters do not drift very much and in regard to building guitar effects etc. you do not really need the highest precision measurements. I used one of these chinese DT92XX multimeters for years to fiddle with stompboxes and was pretty happy with the results. Basically it came down to measuring resistance and voltage to be somewhere in the wanted order of magnitude and using the continuity feature to check switches and identify broken PCB traces...

In regard to knowing what is going on with your equipment, there are some threads on building highly precise setups for calibration purpose, but I do not have the links at hand right now. Personally, I would check the 187 against some other DMMs (if you don't have more than the one, throw a party and invite people you know owning test equipment ;) ). My guess however is, that your Fluke is perfectly fine and it will very well suit your needs in regard to getting things done.

DONE!! Tomorrow. Party. My place.

And you guys are all invited (just make sure you bring all your freshly calibrated DMM's and/or other test/calibration equipment) 😉

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »
in ebay or aliexpress search :

AD584KH Voltage Reference Module

Thanks! That'll do for voltage accuracy tests i guess.  Will order one and see what happens.

Offline BroMarduk

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »
There are a few versions out there with different chips.  In theory, the AD584LH is more accurate than the AD584KH.   Some of the modules state they include a AD584MH chip, but I've not found a datasheet on it, so unless its a new Asian mod of an existing chip, I'd guess that one of the other chips is in use.  If anyone has one of the "AD584Mx" chip models, I'd be interested to see what the actual chip in use is (if its even marked).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
I believe you can send it out to Fluke and have it calibrated for a reasonable rate. Really though unless it is grossly off and malfunctioning, it's probably still well within spec. Check a few things and verify that the reading is reasonably close, fresh alkaline battery should be about 1.5V, voltage from a wall socket should be 120 or 240V depending on what part of the world you live in, frequency should be 50 or 60Hz. Measure a few resistors and capacitors, verify they measure the value printed on them within the rated tolerance. If that all checks out then it's pretty safe to say the meter is working fine.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »
Your used Fluke 187 is likely to be within specifications IF it hasn't been abused/subjected to overvoltage and you are unlikely to require a calibration check.

Many have come here for help due to an oops moment or they bought an "used, but working" meter from ebay which turned out to be abused.

If abused, the input protection components like the fusible resistor, MOVs and PTC are all potentially suspect.

PS. I bought my 187 used as well and it is one of my favourite meters.  I know mine is within spec because I have compared it to other meters and they are all within 1 or 2 mV of each other.  Same for resistance values +/- 1 or 2 counts.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »
I believe you can send it out to Fluke and have it calibrated for a reasonable rate. Really though unless it is grossly off and malfunctioning, it's probably still well within spec. Check a few things and verify that the reading is reasonably close, fresh alkaline battery should be about 1.5V, voltage from a wall socket should be 120 or 240V depending on what part of the world you live in, frequency should be 50 or 60Hz. Measure a few resistors and capacitors, verify they measure the value printed on them within the rated tolerance. If that all checks out then it's pretty safe to say the meter is working fine.

I did all that and it checks OK, it's just that I'm sort of a OCD when it comes to accuracy ...lol

I also asked and they charge me 200 bucks for the calibration. Around 150% the price I payed for the multimeter. It's crazy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:23:39 pm by The Guy »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »
Hi all, i just bought me a used Fluke 187 multimeter for cheap but in very good condition and I would like to check if it's working OK, if it's still accurate and all... Maybe it will need to get calibrated ($$$😲)?
 I want to use it mainly for building a couple of guitar amps and maybe some pedals...

Anyway, i was wondering if there is any common household electronic device with very very very precise voltages, currents, etc where i could check my multimeter with. I don't know if i make any sense, kind of an amateur sucker talking here ;)

Maybe I should just ask "How do I check my multimeter's accuracy without using all that fancy equipment they use when calibrating them?"

I think the DMMCheck would be a good option: http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck.html

Well, oops, it seems to be discontinued. That's a shame.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:18:31 pm by IanB »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:18:23 pm »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
Well if you're OCD enough about knowing it's accurate, then calibration is a reasonable deal. You're paying more for the paper trail and actual NIST certified accuracy than the actual process. Otherwise just use it, it's fine, Fluke meters are famous for retaining excellent accuracy.

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:02 pm »
Without knowing your location this suggestion might be moot but try contacting a local hackerspace / ham radio club / college / etc
For a small donation they might let you test it against a voltage standard / known voltage.

Edit: Add Hackerspace link  http://hackerspaces.org/  and https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hacker_Spaces
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:48:14 pm by Avacee »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »
Well if you're OCD enough about knowing it's accurate, then calibration is a reasonable deal. You're paying more for the paper trail and actual NIST certified accuracy than the actual process. Otherwise just use it, it's fine, Fluke meters are famous for retaining excellent accuracy.

Yea... You're right. As far as I can tell it is already very accurate.

...i think I better take my pills ;) lol

P.d: will ask the guy that do the calibration if he can do me the favor and calibrate it without all that certification and stuff. Maybe I can spare me a few dollars that way.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »
Without knowing your location this suggestion might be moot but try contacting a local hackerspace / ham radio club / college / etc
For a small donation they might let you test it against a voltage standard / known voltage.

Edit: Add Hackerspace link  http://hackerspaces.org/  and https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

That's actually a very good idea. Thanks!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »
Or just ask if he can do a quick check to see whether it needs calibration or not.

Offline Iceberg86300

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:39 pm »
Or just ask if he can do a quick check to see whether it needs calibration or not.
That's pretty much all you'll get for a "non traceable" calibration from an actual calibration shop/guy.

You might be able to wrangle some pre calibration reference vs reading plots at for a lesser price.

This is more likely from a large calibration operation or a guy that has A LOT of gear. They're more likely to have gear that is out of date but perfectly usable for generating a few plots.

To OP: Do you have any friends that work at a medium to large manufacturing company that even remotely has something to do with EE R&D/assembly of outsourced electrical stuff? If so, there is likely a metrology department that will send the meter out.

From my past experience as a design engineer (ME) working at Haas Automation it would likely take a ~month, but it'll also be free. Well, a six pack, bottle of favorite booze, dinner, whatever, would be in order.

If you have such a friend and only profiling your meter is acceptable, I'm sure they could just run some quick tests against their (or a coworkers) meter that has an up to date calibration.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:49:51 pm »
I would expect a Fluke meter that hasn't been calibrated in 20 years to be at least an order of magnitude more accurate than the voltages reported by a PC motherboard health monitor. Same goes for most of those other sources, same goes for those other sources. One really needs access to either a precision reference, accurate to say 0.5% or better, or another known-accurate meter to get anything meaningful beyond what he already has.

Offline usagi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
the reference module Jon.C linked to will be far more than sufficient to validate a fluke 187.

there is also an LCR module available.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf