Author Topic: ASUS N73JF not powering on after freeze spray  (Read 2872 times)

Offline martyrTopic starter

ASUS N73JF not powering on after freeze spray
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »
Hello everyone,
I am new around here and this is my first post. And this is going to be very noob one
It's Asus N73JF Rev 2.1 motherboard. I don't know what went wrong but it's all happened while swapping a new HDD into laptop.
Whole thing started after i install a new HDD. I was upgrading to SSD. Everything was working perfect until i upgrade to SSD.
I went into bios to change boot order to install new OS to new SSD, after saving BIOS and rebooting its never skipped bios logo and i was unable to go into bios again. I have tried everything before disassembling laptop.
So i have disassembled to make sure there's nothing wrong with external hardware or daughterboards. I did a visual inspection but there was no visible damage. I have removed anything and tried to boot (even without screen).
But there was no change at all.

Anyway, i have tested some components with multimeter and found out that there is a short circuit on motherboard.
My multimeter was set to "continuity" mode. I've realized that, caps are that near to the CPU were in short circuit.
After doing more research, i tought that freeze spray might help to detect any failing components.

I have applied freeze spray to components and tried to power on with adapter (it's 19V 4.5A) and then everything messed up.
There is no visual damage, no smell or something.
Now when i power on the motherboard, CPU fan tries to "wake up" but it's not spinning at all. Power LED turns on for 1 sec and its turning off.

Appearently, i did awful job with freeze spray and i believe i have caused more damage.

Folks, please keep in mind that my goal is the fixing it by myself and gaining experience. It's not a a matter of life and death for me. I am just trying to figure out what went wrong and what is the right approach to troubleshoot such case. Plus, i am always looking ways to improve myself and gain some experience.

Right now, i can read 3.3v, 5v and 19V on motherboard. So seems like there are still alive components CPU gets very hot, i don't know if such high temperature is normal without a proper boot and OS load.

I have a basic multimeter, soldering equipment and half bottle of freeze spray.

Is it worth to keep working on it? Or should i send this mobo to trash?
What are the proper methods/approaches to start troubleshooting from my current state?
To be honest, i am not sure how and where to get started with laptop repairing. I have just near-to-basic electronics knowledge. Where should i get started?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
Re: ASUS N73JF not powering on after freeze spray
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:35 pm »
You are at a huge disadvantage without a scope.

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:52:30 am »
The first thing to do with misbehaving motherboards is:
Check or better replace the BIOS battery first.

Some motherboards do extremely weird things with a flat battery.

The second thing to do is visually check the motherboard (and the power supply, if external to the motherboard) for electrolytic capacitors blowing their top and replace any of these.
Further visual inspection as to any chips, resistors or connectors with burn marks.

Step. No. 3. Measure the voltages on the motherboard making sure they are within tolerance.

After this you are on your own.

Further troubleshooting aids you may initially need:
A thermal camera may help to verify spots which should be either hot or cold.
Some kind of magnification (lens or camera) to detect broken or burnt pcb. tracks.
A DMM with a low resistance range (milli Ohms) to detect any excessively high contact resistance in connectors.

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:12:03 pm »
asus -> trash

you didnt detect short, CPU has VERY low internal resistance and thats why your meter beeped, plus you said laptop was still powering on and displaying logo.
My guess would be spraying near weakened cpu power section made something crack from induced thermal shock, if cpu is boiling you might have shorted power section now = fried cpu.
its first gen i3, whole working laptop is ~$60.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 03:44:40 pm »
Hi martyr, welcome to the forum.

Since you changed out HD, I would start there by removing new HD and put old one back in. Inspect connector for bent pins and shorts, etc. Sometimes, we have found the problem, and the problem is us.
PEACE===>T

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:06 pm »
Hello everyone,
Thanks for amazing tips and help.

@Messtechniker
I have replaced BIOS battery, nothing changed.
Visual inspection is also good, i can't see any burn or cracked spots.
Voltage measurements looks good, except CPU section of the board. (i guess)
I think it thermal imaging would be very expensive, right?

@Rasz
Yes i think you are right. It wasn't a "short". I thought it was a short due to lack of my knowledge. Maybe it wasn't shorted at all...
And yes, i agree on your guess on spraying. Obviously spraying killed some components.
But i can't say CPU is boiling. All i am saying (or asking), is that normal to have that regular temperature on CPU even without boot and BIOS?
Just trying to understand if CPU gets hotter even without proper boot and BIOS loading. So i can distinguish if i killed CPU or not.

@tpowell1830
I have tried with several HDDs but also i have removed daughterboard of SATA controller. So i think this problem is far beyond of HDD issue.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »
Just a quick add, now i got the boardview file of the board.
Does it help at all?
How i should use this? I mean, i am able to open file with board viewer software.
Which points i should measure first?

Offline pishta

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:04 am »
Does mobo have a "supercapacitor" chip on it? I had 2 Toshiba laptops given to me that had bad SC chips that I replaced and used for years after that. Its a large black SMD mount chip with no visible pins. Hard to replace without a reflow station but I managed with a heat gun and some foil mask...

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
Attached mobo pics and my measurements

Offline Kim_555

• Laptop repair.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:32:19 pm »
Hello.

Do not worry, you did not cause any damage to the friezer. You need an oscilloscope for qualitative diagnostics. I attach the schema and program to view to the message. You will be able to check the voltage which should be lifted after pressing the button.  You will need to extract each *.rar archive, and then get the files from it.
Look for job in USA or Canada

Offline Kim_555

• Laptop repair.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 08:33:42 pm »
You also need to check how the BIOS is read after the power is connected and the button is pressed. Perhaps the reason for this is that the bios settings are not correct and the laptop does not turn on.
I also attach the BIOS dump, which must be programmed by the programmer. Downloaded by the programmer from a working laptop Asus N73JF MAIN BOARD REV:2.1.

Ask if you need to.

In my video you can see how the BIOS should read from a chip, and as it can be seen on an oscilloscope. On this video, a laptop with a similar problem - does not turn on. Video on Russian, but hopefully it will help you understand how to solve a problem.

https://youtu.be/dRnARVQbpPo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:51:23 pm by Kim_555 »
Look for job in USA or Canada

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf