Author Topic: Blue "Burning" laser diode. 1700mW  (Read 4561 times)

Offline raspberrypiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Blue "Burning" laser diode. 1700mW
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it safe to shine in people eyes while they are driving just for fun? I'm guessing red iridium safety lenses are enough protection (have worked so far!). This thing is just dangerous which makes it fun! It starts burning things right away, which is the purpose of it, to heat things in sealed glass test tubes with different atmospheres.

When I power this at seven volts for 10 seconds that little board starts to get hot and the black part gets warm. I'm guessing this laser is made to be pulsed? To build a power supply for it can I just measure how much current it draws and then build around that? As far as PWM just try different on times and see how it get hot? Is too bad that you can't leave it turned on, I think, I didnt want to try as it was 140 bucks shipped. I want to put it in a tube and run it off li-ion batteries.

A data sheet for the laser or seeing what it came out of would be nice, but I can only find the ebay ad when I google it.

Does 1700mW sound right? the specs are pretty much useless and it seems the whole thing is 1.7mW not the laser it self.

Features:

Overall dimensions: ?18 * 45mm
Output wavelength: 445 ~ 450nm
Output power: 1.6-2W
Surface treatment: anode black
Shell material: aviation aluminum
Circuit Control: ACC
Reverse polarity protection: Yes
Working voltage: DC = 6.7-7.5V
Working current: I <1.7mA
Warm-up time: None
Operating temperature: -10 ? ~ +40 ?
Storage temperature: + 10 ? ~ +40 ?
Structural features: laser tube + lens + cooling shell
Note: red is positive, black is negative.

Package:

1pc x 445-450nm High Power 1.6W 1600mw Blue Laser Diode Dot Module / w18*45mm & 6.7-7.5V

EAN    0699988242771
Part Number    450-1600-18x45mm
UNSPSC Code    32111512
UPC    699988242771
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Blue "Burning" laser diode. 1700mW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:42:18 pm »
 :palm:

I really can't believe someone would even joke about shining a laser into eyes.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:48:12 pm »

Seems an odd question when raspberrypi admits that "t starts burning things right away" and "this thing is just dangerous which makes it fun"

No, it is not "is it safe to shine in people eyes while they are driving just for fun?", this is a Class 4 laser product and can easily cause injury - your red safety specs might be OK with reflections but I suspect even those would not guarantee safety from directly viewing the beam.

The product itself seems to take something like this http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic1/00088311_0.pdf/PL%20TB450B.pdf marry it with a driver but not a heatsink and (presumably) flog it on ebay.

I mean, it's OK if you want to laser cut card or fabric but please, FFS, remember it could blind you.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it safe to shine in people eyes while they are driving just for fun? I'm guessing red iridium safety lenses are enough protection (have worked so far!). This thing is just dangerous which makes it fun! It starts burning things right away, which is the purpose of it, to heat things in sealed glass test tubes with different atmospheres.

Any laser capable of burning any materials should never be pointed at anyone's face (with the exception of proper medical treatments by trained personnel).
Also, at those kinds of power levels, you should be using proper laser safety glasses made for use with lasers of that wavelength.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:15:23 pm »

Do you see the irony? I'm legally blind so a joke about blinding people. I'm just waiting to get swamped with useless safety info, but no real info like what kind of lenses are safe to view indirect laser light. Things like ,make sure you have an approved laser table and mounting devices as well as interlocks on the doors and windows to the room where its being used. How about just common sense? Anyways I wonder what kind of duty cycle would be needed to burn things without burning the laser out. I would think if the pulses were fast enough you could get close to the effect of it being solidly on, since the heat would stay in the objects longer then the off cycle. I know as far as vision goes pulsed red lasers appear much brighter, but they are also driving the laser much harder because they can.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:35 pm »

I have to agree, raspberrypi's idea of "fun" is somewhat sick. More so when combined with his/her signature.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:31:31 am »

Do you see the irony? I'm legally blind so a joke about blinding people. I'm just waiting to get swamped with useless safety info, but no real info like what kind of lenses are safe to view indirect laser light. Things like ,make sure you have an approved laser table and mounting devices as well as interlocks on the doors and windows to the room where its being used. How about just common sense? Anyways I wonder what kind of duty cycle would be needed to burn things without burning the laser out. I would think if the pulses were fast enough you could get close to the effect of it being solidly on, since the heat would stay in the objects longer then the off cycle. I know as far as vision goes pulsed red lasers appear much brighter, but they are also driving the laser much harder because they can.

So, um, if you don't want to become more blind, here is some useful safety info: do some googling and find a reputable manufacturer of laser safety glasses and get ones which are suitable for working with lasers of this wavelength.  Unless you buy lenses from a trustworthy manufacturer (or test an unknown item with a suitable source and calibrated meter) you cannot know they are safe to use.  Perhaps those who have purchased such things can recommend a manufacturer.

As far as cooling it, perhaps it just needs a much bigger heatsink. I am guessing "Working current: I <1.7mA" is a typo, and you've got to remove the better part of 10 watts of heat from the device while it is in operation.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:34:32 am »
It's nominal ocular hazard distance is about 900 feet / 280 meters when collimated properly. That is no joke. About three to  five times a year I have to explain to users of blue diodes what to tell their Doctors in order to get rapid treatment by an Opthalmic Surgeon and what is needed to reduce swelling/bleeding in the back of the eye  in order to save what is left.

If you want to risk your vision, that is a shame. If you are careless and wish to risk the vision of others around you, that is just beyond my comprehension.

You need tested and certified Goggles of at least Optical Density (OD) six and complete control over entry to the room where you use the laser.  Even for scattered light.

For best results your experiment should be totally contained in a metal box. Use a camera to aim the laser, not your remaining vision.

And while you may be legally blind, nerve damage your eye is still an issue, as a retinal burn can really  fu#k up the muscle coordination between your eyes, potentially causing a lifetime of migrains.

The standard Safety precautions for using one of these fill a pretty thick book.

As some folks have left out a few important details about driving one of these in this thread, you'll probably turn it into a dim blue Led in under 200 nanoseconds, anyways.

Not a toy.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:58:13 am by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:42:55 am »
Laser Pointer Forums has an entire forum dedicated to blue lasers: http://laserpointerforums.com/f40

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:35:58 am »
Those are SUPER dangerous, I would even treat them as more dangerous than a gun.  If you point that to the wall you probably go blind from the refraction, they are THAT powerful.  You want to use these with proper laser safety glasses, ensure it can't escape the room (ex: windows, crack under the door) and that nobody and no pets are within the area.  It's serious business.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:14 pm »
OK are we done with the lecturing? I have the best safety equipment: A working brain, common sense, emotional maturity and the ability/desire to learn the hazards BEFORE I attempt an experiment. Knowing first hand how much it sucks to lose some of your vision I'm extra cautious not to further that.

I'm curios as to this comment
As some folks have left out a few important details about driving one of these in this thread, you'll probably turn it into a dim blue Led in under 200 nanoseconds, anyways.
What weird is its not a dot but rather a bar shaped beam where the width is about 4 times the height.
So now that we have that out of the way any idea on a power supply?

AND

What if I just shine it into my eyes for just a few seconds? Surely an ebay item out of china would be 100% safe for an uneducated user. I hear they use lasers to fix people eyes; how many seconds should I shine it in my eyes to fix my eye condition?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:56 pm »
What if I just shine it into my eyes for just a few seconds? Surely an ebay item out of china would be 100% safe for an uneducated user. I hear they use lasers to fix people eyes; how many seconds should I shine it in my eyes to fix my eye condition?
You're trolling now, right?

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »
OK are we done with the lecturing? I have the best safety equipment: A working brain, common sense, emotional maturity and the ability/desire to learn the hazards BEFORE I attempt an experiment. Knowing first hand how much it sucks to lose some of your vision I'm extra cautious not to further that.

The fact that you can report the beam shape and are asking safety advice contradicts this statement.  The only good thing here is that at blue colors you sometimes know you are screwed before you lose it all.  Other wavelengths are worse.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:34:10 pm »

Everything about your interaction on this forum suggests you are mentally impaired with the learning age of a young child. The fact that you keep attempting to claim otherwise seems to be a classic example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Please, for your own safety (and others!), stop playing with dangerous things.

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, blueskull

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:39:25 pm »

The fact that you can report the beam shape and are asking safety advice contradicts this statement.  The only good thing here is that at blue colors you sometimes know you are screwed before you lose it all.  Other wavelengths are worse.

Do you know I was wearing approved safety goggles and that the beam was pointed onto a dark surface with my hand on the off switch in a locked room? You need to find these things out before lecturing people.

If you guys really cared about safety you would give useful info such as what procedures to use, not just "You'll burn your eye out!", "Its worse then a loaded gun!" Are you trying to scare me? How about harm reduction/elimination through education? Reminds me of high school when they just tell you all drugs are bad instead of harm reduction by telling you how their bad and which ones are worse. Yes its dangerous, thats what makes it interesting.
This thread went to shit fast an not much knowledge was gained, which is why I'm here. You guys watch cody's lab are you the people in the comments lecturing him every time he lights something with his laser? He's actually responded to some of my posts in private messages because he could judge that I was educated enough on the subject matter (this was in response to his welding with explosives video). He showed good judgement in informing me on a private basis because he could tell I wasn't some reckless teenager who was going to blow himself up. You guys should be able to tell from past posts that I'm not a reckless child. sheesh! :)

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
I hate that lasers are now easily available and that many end up in the hands of irresponsible people incapable of using them safely..  :-\ Safety goggles only protect the one wearing them and we, or I at least, hate lasers because of the potential to instantly cause damage to the innocent. You of all should know and appreciate how precious vision is.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 11:01:28 pm »

Everything about your interaction on this forum suggests you are mentally impaired with the learning age of a young child. The fact that you keep attempting to claim otherwise seems to be a classic example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Seconded.

I don't care  what rpi does to his own eyes, but I do care what he might do to the eyes of people unfortunate enough to be within his range. Or encourages beginners to do.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 11:04:56 pm »
OK can we get back to the subject and drop the name calling? Just because you don't directly say say "cuz u r stoopid" doesn't mean thats not how its interpreted. Everyone here claims how much more intelligent they are then me, but yet they can't figure out that I might not be serious about blinding another person. Does that show good critical thinking?

So...

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:19 pm »
What happened at westminister or london with a laser?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 11:10:13 pm »
OK can we get back to the subject and drop the name calling? Just because you don't directly say say "cuz u r stoopid" doesn't mean thats not how its interpreted. Everyone here claims how much more intelligent they are then me, but yet they can't figure out that I might not be serious about blinding another person. Does that show good critical thinking?

So...

Based on what you have written, it looks like you are dangerously clueless. If that isn't the case then you need to find a way of significantly improving your communication skills.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:16 pm »

Seconded.

I don't care  what rpi does to his own eyes, but I do care what he might do to the eyes of people unfortunate enough to be within his range. Or encourages beginners to do.

Stop playing with dangerous things? I used to play with high explosives when I was younger and we didn't have one single incident or even come close. Why? Because the person using these materials was educated and commonsense measures were employed. Did you know I also own several guns too? Not one incident or injury has come from that either. I will never stop playing with dangerous things. My parents also let me play with dangerous things when I was a kid because they knew I had a proven track record of knowing what I was doing. Had hey stifled me I woundnt have the experience and knowledge I have today and thats how accidents happen. Staying clear of everything thats potentially hazardous is for people with no balls. No reason to be afraid of everything.  A MOT in my opinion is much more dangerous, thats something I'm not ready to play with, yet...

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 11:18:31 pm »

Do you know I was wearing approved safety goggles and that the beam was pointed onto a dark surface with my hand on the off switch in a locked room? You need to find these things out before lecturing people.

Well, thanks for finally telling us this.  How were we to know, you were asking relatively newbie questions about the subject.  You need to learn that humor is often difficult to detect on the Internet, and if you express it in the form of "Is it cool if I do this dangerous thing?" questions, you're likely going to get a bunch of honest and concerned replies.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 11:20:19 pm »
Does anyone know anything about this? Is it safe to shine in people eyes while they are driving just for fun?

And the further trolling gets this thread instantly locked, congrats.

The following users thanked this post: Neilm, German_EE, raspberrypi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf