Author Topic: [UK] Dunstable Downs Radio Rally / Car Boot / Flea Market 2017  (Read 19860 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
I will be at the dunstable downs radio rally again this year with a load of crap to sell / give away, is anyone else going from here?

http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/index.htm

It's on Sunday May 21st, but it's most active in the morning. There's parking, refreshments, plenty to see and buy so it can make a fun day out if your interested.

previous threads:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/dunstable-downs-car-boot-sale-discussion-thread/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(uk)-dunstable-downs-car-boot-2016/

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: [UK] Dunstable Downs Radio Rally / Car Boot / Flea Market 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:55:17 am »
Yes I'm planning to go - time for another ruthless clearout.
Mostly stuff like teardown leftovers that I can't be arsed to put on ebay.
Most things that haven't sold by about 12 will be given away.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:23 am »
Not sure if I'm going to have any cash left after Kempton  >:D If I do I'll be there.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:56 am »
Not sure if I'm going to have any cash left after Kempton  >:D If I do I'll be there.
I didn't know that was still going - not been for a while - is it any good?

Problem with most rallies that are/were at "proper" venues is that the stall fees tend to be too high to attract people clearing out stuff, so it's just traders. That's certainly what killled Pickett's Lock.

Most decent rallies died out years ago -  Dunstable Downs is the only one I bother with these days- being held in a field means it's still cheap enough to attract people clearing stuff out, which is where the bargains are. 

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:03 am »
To be honest I haven't been to a rally since the 1990s and that was the one at Pickett's Lock just as it descended into traders. There was another one out in the sticks near Harlow as well. Long gone is the "electronic jumble sale" which I loved. This is a somewhat new resurgence in activity in this space from me really after a gap between 2002 and 2015. I'm only 10 mins away from it in the car so it's no wasted effort really.

However, in context, I'm older, considerably less poor and more objective than before so I'm not really after bargains and boxes of junk now.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
I didn't know that was still going - not been for a while - is it any good?

Problem with most rallies that are/were at "proper" venues is that the stall fees tend to be too high to attract people clearing out stuff, so it's just traders. That's certainly what killled Pickett's Lock.

Most decent rallies died out years ago -  Dunstable Downs is the only one I bother with these days- being held in a field means it's still cheap enough to attract people clearing stuff out, which is where the bargains are.

I think Kempton is worth going to occasionally, particularly since Dunstable is further away. Last two times there were sufficient fleas stalls to make it interesting.

An advantage of Kempton is that there is power, so you can see equipment working before buying it. (And it isn't weather dependent, of course!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:18:13 am »
Good to hear. I'll do both just to see.

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 03:49:07 pm »
Kempton is a bit closer to me too.  Can anyone point me to a website with details and dates?  What sort of market is it?  (I could only find the antiques market on the racecourse website). 

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:57:20 pm »
Kempton is a bit closer to me too.  Can anyone point me to a website with details and dates?  What sort of market is it?  (I could only find the antiques market on the racecourse website).
http://www.radiofairs.co.uk/

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »
I think I'll try to make Dunstable again, it's quite a drive as I live in the Midlands but usually worth it

Newbury has been good (less so last year but I'm hoping that was just a blip) - I think that's a bit out of Mike's patch though.

http://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/ has the full list.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »
Good to hear. I'll do both just to see.

I think that is worth it. I've picked up some nice stuff at each, e.g.
  • Kempton: Solartron 7075 DVM for £40 (didn't bother with a broken HP1740A for £5, since I hadn't yet succumbed to TEA and allied syndromes)
  • Dunstable: new DC-18GHz 0-70dB in 1dB steps attenuator for £30

I wonder if we will recognise each other. The only identifiable picture of me that I have posted on social media is with a new-fangled Harrier in the background (or was it a P1127?)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:27:43 pm »

I wonder if we will recognise each other. The only identifiable picture of me that I have posted on social media is with a new-fangled Harrier in the background (or was it a P1127?)
We should pay for a pitch, populate it with a few chairs and put a sign up saying "EEVblog refuge"

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 05:56:26 pm »

We should pay for a pitch, populate it with a few chairs and put a sign up saying "EEVblog refuge"

Or "EEVBlog Ghetto". Tempting.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:07:14 pm »
Or get a Portaloo and call it EEVBOG

I'll get my coat...

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics, Howardlong, CJay, SingedFingers

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 12:01:15 am »
I might go, but I'm not 100% decided yet. Bit of a schlep to Dunstable and there's nothing in particular I'm looking for that's likely to be there except for the perennial possibility of a lucky score on test equipment.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 12:10:49 am »
The last few Pickett's Lock events were certainly less interesting than earlier years. But I think what actually killed it off was the redevelopment of the sports hall into some part of the olympic stadium.

BATC rally used to be good - previously near Grantham, then Coventry. Not sure where now.

I still go to St Neots rally (just off the A1) -  it seems to grow and shrink but can still be worthwhile if the weather's good enough to go outside.

RATS rally (Rugby) was a good one too, but haven't been for a while and not sure where it's held these days.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 12:39:25 am »
The last few Pickett's Lock events were certainly less interesting than earlier years. But I think what actually killed it off was the redevelopment of the sports hall into some part of the olympic stadium.
I remember them moving - from memory Stevenage and Ware, but it was too far away to keep enough traders & punters.
I have great memories of when it was in its heyday ( and at Alexandra Palace before) - three and a half packed halls  - I'd regularly come back with a car boot full of stuff.

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 04:01:08 pm »
 :-+

good to see there will be a few people there

fingers crossed the weather will be good!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 04:36:27 pm »
Rather disappointed I can't make it but I do hope everyone has a great day

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 10:06:23 am »
I'll try and be there, will make sure I mark the right weekend on the calendar this year.

Offline pamphonica

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »
I'll be there as well - I've found some great stuff at Dunstable Downs.  The testgear has included Racal counters, Marconi Sig-gens and lots of smaller bits like connectors.

But I am starting to realise the depth of my testgear addiction and have recently had a table at Kempton to sell stuff for a change and reduce the "heap".  It has worked well and I'll be there in a couple of weeks.  The mains power means I can demo stuff which is best for both parties. I'm the chap with a green message fan on the stall! Say hi if you are there.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 05:05:45 pm »
But I am starting to realise the depth of my testgear addiction and have recently had a table at Kempton to sell stuff for a change and reduce the "heap".  It has worked well and I'll be there in a couple of weeks.  The mains power means I can demo stuff which is best for both parties. I'm the chap with a green message fan on the stall! Say hi if you are there.

Bad attitude, selling T&M gear that is :) You risk being expelled from the TEA support society.

Why don't you list what you are selling; you might persuade a few more people to go, and/or even pre-sell some items.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:59 am »
I'll be there as well - I've found some great stuff at Dunstable Downs.  The testgear has included Racal counters, Marconi Sig-gens and lots of smaller bits like connectors.

What did you think of Kempton  yesterday?

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 07:20:57 pm »
Scored an Anritsu 8810B radio comms test set for £60, and it all seems to work (Not too shabby for a 300K - 3GHz SA plus power meter and sig gen).
It has the usual problem with poor contrast on the screen that most of these seem to suffer from, and I have the eternal problem of finding that the set of inter series adapters I own is not quite as comprehensive as I thought it was (I am missing some TNC to sma or BNC).....

First job however, disk image of the PCMCIA ATA flash card.... They seem to be a little flaky by reputation.

Annoying when the adaptors are likely to cost more then the instrument did, but I cannot bring myself to use the unbranded specials on measuring instruments because so many of them are horrible once you get above nearly DC.

Lots of bench power supplies there, and a surprisingly good general selection of test gear.

Also, does anyone have the pinout for a Marconi 6960 sensor cable, I managed to get the meter and a power head that allegedly works, but no cable and the information is surprisingly hard to find. I am pretty sure the connector is a Binder M16, 12 pin job, but what is the wiring?

Regards, Dan.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:39 pm »
Only a week to go! Look for Loughton Self Drive van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurxgRODrLk&feature=youtu.be

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf