Author Topic: Just a cool picture  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Roeland_RTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Just a cool picture
« on: February 24, 2017, 05:06:00 pm »
This picture just made with my fresh arrived Andonstar V160 usb microscope. I don't tell what it is....

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Just a cool picture
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
You underestimate us ;) Core memory.

Online Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:10:40 pm »
A well taken picture of a Zntargvp-pber zrzbel ;-)

Offline martys

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:59:00 pm »
Di-lithium fast-proton synchronizer.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:00:44 pm »
Nice!
1960s FRAM  ;D

Offline MickM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:48 pm »
Tholian web

Offline orolo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:16:57 pm »
Easy, a Cesium Chloride crystal. Do they sell the usb tunneling scope in ebay?

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:59:34 pm »
Just to emphasize the criticality of this mystery device, I found this old video. Look around 13:00 if you want to see what this is.

PEACE===>T

• Regular Contributor
Just a cool picture
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 09:51:08 am »
Nice!
1960s FRAM  ;D

Well, I made a teardown of my iPhone 10[emoji33]

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:53 am »
Looks like ferrite beads in a core memory module.  I believe they even used these on the space shuttle because the memory would be persistent even if the computer lost power unlike static & dynamic ram -- good for mission critical stuff, at least back then.

Learned about core memory back in 1994 in my Computer Architecture class for Software Engineering degree.  [Humorous little side story about that class: In that class, we also simulated an 8 bit computer with 8 bit address space in LogicWorks. Built in modules (full of tons of gates) over the semester (ALU, registers, etc) to where we finally built the decoder and executed code.  My little simulated computer worked where most other students didn't.  I kind of cheated though because I didn't do the boolean algebra to simplify the decoder.. I was afraid I was going to make a mistake and wanted a functioning decoder, lol. I think most other students made algebraic errors, is why their decoder didn't work.  My teacher caught on and kind of said I cheated because the decoder wasn't simplified, but he seemed very pleased it actually worked and gave me an A.]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:17:38 am by JenniferG »
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:57:52 am »
Looks like ferrite beads in a core memory module.  I believe they even used these on the space shuttle because the memory would be persistent even if the computer lost power unlike static & dynamic ram -- good for mission critical stuff, at least back then.

Learned about core memory back in 1994 in my Computer Architecture class for Software Engineering degree.  [Humorous little side story about that class: In that class, we also simulated an 8 bit computer with 8 bit address space in LogicWorks. Built in modules (full of tons of gates) over the semester (ALU, registers, etc) to where we finally built the decoder and executed code.  My little simulated computer worked where most other students didn't.  I kind of cheated though because I didn't do the boolean algebra to simplify the decoder.. I was afraid I was going to make a mistake and wanted a functioning decoder, lol. I think most other students made algebraic errors, is why their decoder didn't work.  My teacher caught on and kind of said I cheated because the decoder wasn't simplified, but he seemed very pleased it actually worked and gave me an A.]

Nice story. And it's great when anyone is forced to learn the logic basics of a basic CPU with it's ALU, PC counter, data buses, instruction decoder (the real bitch!), etc. However it is just history. Today that is learned as a higher order abstraction, which is more effective and applicable with the gigabit transistor density of today's microprocessors.

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:35:01 pm »

I learnt about core memory round 1980 at school. There we had to build micro computers with a 6502 processor. If I remember well it was a Eurocom kit. Even the transformer for the powersupply we had to wind ourselves. The teacher told us to use 10% more windings than calculated. Othewise output voltage might be to low. Classmates that didn't listen to the teacher indeed had a problem with their powersupply. I hope to connect my core memory to an Arduino one, which I program in assembly and not in C. Just for the fun of it. First I have to find a diagram for driving this fujitsu core memory.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
It's an easy one to get but still a nice pic for such a cheap microscope. I've been thinking about getting one of those.

(as a present for the missus)

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 04:15:47 pm »
In about 1969 I worked with an office computer that had core memory like that and the program was on punched cards. The logic was DTL. The wiring was wires wrapped on pins.
It had a design problem and I fixed it by piggy-backing a gate IC on top of another IC. I was awarded an electric shaver for my idea.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:32:55 am »

Nice story. And it's great when anyone is forced to learn the logic basics of a basic CPU with it's ALU, PC counter, data buses, instruction decoder (the real bitch!), etc. However it is just history. Today that is learned as a higher order abstraction, which is more effective and applicable with the gigabit transistor density of today's microprocessors.

Thanks. I am glad I learned about this in college for my Computer Science degree back then.  It definitely gave me a lot of insight to digital logic & digital electronics.  Loved that class.  I probably wouldn't even be here today in this forum, asking for help with electronics in general, if it wasn't for that class.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 12:35:14 am »

I learnt about core memory round 1980 at school. There we had to build micro computers with a 6502 processor. If I remember well it was a Eurocom kit. Even the transformer for the powersupply we had to wind ourselves. The teacher told us to use 10% more windings than calculated. Othewise output voltage might be to low. Classmates that didn't listen to the teacher indeed had a problem with their powersupply. I hope to connect my core memory to an Arduino one, which I program in assembly and not in C. Just for the fun of it. First I have to find a diagram for driving this fujitsu core memory.

Nice little story :) Awesome I'd love to see that.. arduino hooked up to core memory!   Then turn it off and back on and re-read the memory and find what you stored in it is still there .. HAH so awesome :)  Where did you get that core memory?  Geesh I want a block of it!  Would be so cool to have here on the shelf for display at least.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:37:12 am by JenniferG »

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 12:38:33 am »
In about 1969 I worked with an office computer that had core memory like that and the program was on punched cards. The logic was DTL. The wiring was wires wrapped on pins.
It had a design problem and I fixed it by piggy-backing a gate IC on top of another IC. I was awarded an electric shaver for my idea.

Wow an electric shaver! :)

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 03:29:18 am »
A snow cone maker.

Is that memory from a IBM 700 series? That's where the term "core" came from, no?

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 07:46:05 pm »
Also, here is a Jeri Ellsworth video showing how to use them.

PEACE===>T

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »

The Amiga LogicWorks or is there a different one?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:17 pm »
Looks like ferrite beads in a core memory module.

Like I said: 1960s FRAM.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 08:35:42 pm »
Looks like ferrite beads in a core memory module.

Like I said: 1960s FRAM.

Indeed! :)  And I added a bit to that.  Like the fact that 1960's technology was used in the Space Shuttle even up to 1986, for mission critical purposes.  Then I shared my little story.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:38:22 pm by JenniferG »

• Regular Contributor
Just a cool picture
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 08:38:04 pm »
I wonder if original data stil is stored.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »

Nice little story :) Awesome I'd love to see that.. arduino hooked up to core memory!   Then turn it off and back on and re-read the memory and find what you stored in it is still there .. HAH so awesome :)  Where did you get that core memory?  Geesh I want a block of it!  Would be so cool to have here on the shelf for display at least.

I don't remember how I got this "memory card" anymore. Somewhere around 1985 I think. I worked for a company that sold several brands of computersystems like Sharp, Wordplex, Hayac. There was one system that more looked like a vacuum cleaner. Perhaps the module comes from that machine. When you had to change tax percentage of the system it was a hardware patch. cutting diodes and placing new ones.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:40:41 pm by Roeland_R »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 06:38:52 pm »
PEACE===>T

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf